[Ext] SessionSaver .2d: new (rewrite)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Prof. Yaffle

Post by Prof. Yaffle »

I've just had a look on my laptop. browser.tabs.warnOnClose is set to true. The same thing also happens on my pc at home. I'll double check that one when I get home.

Thanks.
Stephen_snake

Post by Stephen_snake »

To RUE,

I always used the extension "sessionsaver" successfully but since i downloaded
firefox 2.0, now i get a warning everytimes i get a crash or provocate a firefox
crash for testing purposes. I never used to have this warning and i don't need it.
My aim is as usual to restore all active previous windows without Any Warnings.

But now i get this window:

(?) Firefox - Restore Previous Session

Your last Firefox session closed unexpectedly. You can restore the tabs and windows from your
previous session, or start a new session if you think the problem was related to a page you were
viewing.

(buttons ->) Restore Session Start New Session

And i need to click on Start New Session to reopen all previously active windows before
a crash occured, i didn't have to select anything before 2.0. I don't even care about ff20's
internal session restore, since it's not as interesting as sessionsaver, where i can select
previous sessions and reopen them without closing firefox or import backups. I don't know
why firefox programmers implemented that, they have too much time in their hands .. .

Please tell me how to get rid of that window .. .

Thank you.
protienplant

Export single session? Doesn't seem to be working.

Post by protienplant »

I'm trying to export a single session to send to a friend so he can import it to his own sessionsaver. I found the instructions to do so here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/SessionSaver

quoted---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Migrating saved sessions

SessionSaver can archive stored sessions to files. Archival is accessible from three places: the main menu (bottom), the settings window, and when right-clicking on an individual session (in the main menu). The first two places permit exporting of all sessions, along with some settings (for adblock and tabmix). The third place, right-clicking a session, permits exporting of just that individual session, with no extra settings.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exporting individual sessions is such a valuable feature.
Unfortunately right clicking a session in the sessionsaver menu seems to be disabled. How can I get this to work? Or, is it no longer a feature of sessionsaver?
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

Using .2-0.2.1.031 in FF2.0
When restoring, I get 2 windows a "restore" and a "resume" panel. That's a bit confusing---annoying.
Win 10 Pro desktop, but now 64-bit latest Windows 10. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on this machines.
sca123

Session Saver with FF2.0

Post by sca123 »

Can someone explain in very basic language how to get this to work - I installed FF2 and it says the Session Saver 0.2.1.031 will not work with 2.0 -

Appreciate if some can explain how to get this to work. Also, does anyone know if Rue is going come out with a 2.0 update -

Last, some mentioned on one of the pages that FF2 had built in window saver program - but I don't see that at all in the memory choices?
beermatt

Post by beermatt »

To answer your second point first, FF2 now has built in:-
  • The ability to restore the last session from when Firefox was closed (Menu Tools -> Options, Main tab, set "When Firefox starts:" to "Show my windows and tabs from last time")
  • Re-open closed tabs (menu History -> Recently Closed Tabs, similar to Tools -> Snapback Tab of SessionSaver)
  • Bookmark all tabs (menu Bookmarks -> Bookmark all tabs) to save addresses of all open tabs to a bookmark folder
What it doesn't contain is the ability to save & restore a session on demand (Tools -> SessionSaver -> Save this window) and equivalent restore.

So (on to your first point), to overcome this a couple of us have tweaked the extension (to bump the version compatibility, and also to overcome an incompatibility when restoring a saved session), can be downloaded from here (my tweak), or here (patched by KofolaMaster - link on SessionSaver comments page).
ninodelsol

Post by ninodelsol »

beermatt wrote:
ninodelsol wrote:The one thing I can't figure out is how to delete sessions from the SessionSaver menu. I think in pre-FF 2.0 I was able to right click on a session to be deleted (then maybe left click? can't remember), and then a dialogue box would pop up.
I've only deleted saved sessions by holding down the shift key on the keyboard while left-clicking on the session name - this still works for me.
I must admit I've never tried right-clicking on saved sessions, my tweak has probably broken this (as I said it's a tweak (enough to get it working for my needs), not a proper fix (which ideally still needs to be done))..
Interesting - I had never realized one could shift-rightclickonsessionname to delete it! Thanks very much for the info, and thanks for the tweaked Session Saver. Firefox is now perfect again.
hodges

Post by hodges »

SCA123: see this thread here for some more background...

Session management functionality in Firefox 2.0 ?
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... highlight=

However, it seems the assertion that fixing "session saver" to be FF2 compatible would have to wait for the Session Restore API to be finished was incorrect, based on the existence of a patched session saver.

beermatt -- what's the differences, if any, between your fix and KofolaMaster's fix?

thanks.
=JeffH
beermatt

Post by beermatt »

hodges wrote:beermatt -- what's the differences, if any, between your fix and KofolaMaster's fix?
Just slightly different ways of tweaking the code really. In ff2 "evt.button" now appears to be undefined when the function is called responding to a menu command (causing the initial test to check if the mouse click was a left-click to fail in the original code).
KofolaMaster's fix removes the check if a left-click occurred from the code following the test, whereas mine tweaks the initial left-click test to assume a left-click if "evt.button" is undefined..
hodges

Post by hodges »

beermatt - thanks.

I'm running KofolaMaster's version and it seems to be working fine overall.
=JeffH
galaxy7

Post by galaxy7 »

Hello, I'm a newb to developing on Mozilla. Is SessionSaver open-source? Could I get the sourceCode anywhere? I'd like to do some tweaking.
Also, in what file is the session data really saved in? the documentation says prefs.js, but this is wrong. (my prefs.js lists only a few general firefox user preferences, yet I actually have 100's of sites in many savedSessions.) Instead of obscuring all this data from user accesibility, I'd like it this see it become 'open' - stored in an open format accessible to all, like .xml. thanks, glen
When it comes to Binary, there are 10 types of people. Those who get it and those who don't.
Grand Dizzy

Post by Grand Dizzy »

My PC crashed. I rebooted and started Firefox (I use 1.5.0.8) and all my tabs were gone, and all my sessions were gone!

I just got a Firefox page telling me "you have updated Firefox". But I didn't update it, and it's still the same version running.

I'm really upset about losing all my precious sessions. I had so much stuff stored! Is there no way to get them back?

Can anyone please help me (or direct me where to get help)?
hodges

Post by hodges »

galaxy7 --

AFAICT, Session Saver is written in java, and I haven't been able to find the source, so I'm curious as to how KofolaMaster and beermatt made their changes. Perhaps I'm just lame at finding the source?

thanks.
=JeffH
hodges

Post by hodges »

galaxy7 --

AFAICT, Session Saver is written in java, and I haven't been able to find the source, so I'm curious as to how KofolaMaster and beermatt made their changes. Perhaps I'm just lame at finding the source?

thanks.
=JeffH
Mikbed

Post by Mikbed »

beermatt wrote:I must admit I've never tried right-clicking on saved sessions, my tweak has probably broken this (as I said it's a tweak (enough to get it working for my needs), not a proper fix (which ideally still needs to be done))..

beermatt - thanks for you patch. Session Saver is now up running again after the FF update to 2.0. Also thanks for your clear & detailed explanation of FF 2.0's possibilities with regards to session saving.

I'm quite sure it has never been possible to right-click each saved session i Session Saver - I also have had to use the shift+left-click option to remove each session individually since first install 6 months ago.