[Ext] SessionSaver .2d: new (rewrite)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

If you delete the extensions.rdf, extensions.ini and extensions.cache files in your profile folder, they will be rebuilt once you restart your Firefox.

Try doing this:

1) In the Firefox Extensions Manager go to the Tools Menu and select "Make All Compatible"
2) Exit Firefox
3) Delete your extensions.ini, extensions.cache, extensions.rdf in your profile folder.
4) Start up Firefox - everything should work now.
"Linux is for those who hate Windows, BSD is for those who love Unix." -Some Guy
Try my themes: QuBranch and QuTrunk
Fix Firefox's Resized image scrolling speed: <b>Bug 163975</b>
leshalfhill

Post by leshalfhill »

My last session had a LOT of tabs open. It seems that the last one I opened (containing a video) crashed Firefox. Each time I reopen firefox, it immediately crashes.

I want to be able to keep the other open tabs, but selectively delete the last tab to prevent the crash. Is there a file that SessionSaver creates that it uses to reopen tabs? What is it called, where is it, and can I edit it?
Shahrooz

Post by Shahrooz »

Schrade,

I have narrowed down my problem,

1.5.0.7 reset my prefs.js so that is why i lost everything since sessionsaver saves all info in that file.

Does anyone know of a way to get it back or an auto save that firefox may have done of an earlier version of prefs.js?

if you do have a solution and it leads me to recovering my old prefs.js i will pay you very handsomely and any others that may have helped.

sincerely,
shahrooz
trishacupra

Post by trishacupra »

Hi. Session Manager suddenly stopped working for me, and Tab Mix Plus' session saving options won't work for me either. So I installed Session Saver, and it works except the last tab goes blank the next time I open up Firefox (no matter what that tab was).

I use Win XP, FF 1.5.0.7, and a whole bunch of extensions. I don't want to upgrade to FF 2 beta yet, since I don't want to lose many of my extensions.

All I want is for this last tab to be restored properly, and Session Saver would be perfect.

Is there a fix for this?
JMJimmy

Bug

Post by JMJimmy »

I'm sure this is no longer under development, however it does have the issue that if you close after doing a POST operation it submits the data without prompt on re-opening Firefox. This can cause problems with duplicate orders, double forum posts, etc. This should be corrected to prompt with the typical POSTDATA warning.

JMJimmy
Shahrooz

Post by Shahrooz »

Easy answer trishacupra,

just before hitting session saver, press ctrl-t . THis will make a blank new tab and then when you reload it through SS you won't lose anyhting of value ;)
johnmsch

Post by johnmsch »

Any way to transfer sessions between machines?

Let's say I have some tabs open in Firefox on my office machine. Before I leave for the day, is there a file or group of files I can send to my home email address, then load those file on my home machine, and pick up where I left off at the office?

Of course, this would be using the exact same version of Firefox (1.5.0.7), installed to the same location on disk.

Thanks for my most favorite extension!!!!
beermatt

Post by beermatt »

@johnmsch - if you go into the Tools -> SessionSaver menu you should be able to save the current window, then archive to a file (which can be mailed/saved etc.). On the home machine you would then need to import the file and restore the session.

However - I've now installed FireFox 2 RC3 and am unable to restore a saved session. Whenever I click on one of my saved sessions from this menu I get a requester appear saying "Permanently remove the following session?: >(session name)". I appreciate some of the functionality of SessionSaver is now built into FF2 (crash recovery, ability to restore last set of tabs when reopening), however I like (and use) the ability to save multiple sessions..

Any ideas?
johnmsch

Post by johnmsch »

Thanks beermatt, but I'm on FF2 RC3 now and it has "built-in" support for saving all open tabs, so I don't need to use SS anymore. It is a really cool extension, but the only thing I needed it for was to save all open tabs.

Also found out (in another thread) that the sessionstore.js file for FF2 RC3 has all the saved session info. I'm going to test moving that to another machine to see if it works.
hodges

Session Saver functionality in FireFox 2.0 ??

Post by hodges »

Ok, so the "session saver" add-on (nee extension) doesn't appear to work with FF 2.0. And the latter is touted to have "session saving" functionality, _but_ I don't see any menu items for "save this window" or "restore this window", which is functionality the "session saver" add-on has and on which I depend.

So, are there various session management controls in FF 2.0 that I just haven't yet stumbled over, or, is there need for porting "session saver" to FF 2.0 in order to plug the functionality hole(s) ?

thanks.
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

Why not just use Session Manager which has been out for a long time now and is more stable and offers the features you want?
"Linux is for those who hate Windows, BSD is for those who love Unix." -Some Guy
hodges

Post by hodges »

Well, "session manager" doesn't appear to support FF 2.0 as yet.

So, again, are there various session management controls in FF 2.0 that I just haven't yet stumbled over?

Or, is there need for porting "session [ saver | manager ]" to FF 2.0 in order to plug the functionality hole(s) ?

thanks.
=JeffH
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

Why do you say it doesn't appear to support Firefox 2.0? I use it just fine. Did you even try it?
hodges

Post by hodges »

yes I tried it and it failed to load. perhaps you should post the url to the homepage of the one you use. thanks.
=JeffH
insomniac81

Post by insomniac81 »

hodges,
if you haven't found it already, the built in session saving function in 2.0 is available under the the startup settings pulldown labeled "when firefox starts" if you go to Options->Main