[Ext] SessionSaver .2d: new (rewrite)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
apachedude

Post by apachedude »

Where do I find the nightly 24 version? It seems as though the homesite is down, and all references on mozdev and extensionsmirror.nl point to older versions.
JackIsMe

Post by JackIsMe »

Hmm... can't seem to find the "prefs.js" file. A tab loading an adobe page crashed, so I killed Firefox using Task Mgr. The Adobe page reloads, and crashes, every time I restart Firefox. I want to just remove or edit the current session, but I can't find the file "prefs.js" where I believe this info is locaated. Any help?

Jack
Krak

Post by Krak »

its great but i thought it would be cool to have buttons...

someone was cool enough to do that. got some killer icons to go with it!

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=117797
gaf3

Can't install in program tree

Post by gaf3 »

I've tried installing into the program tree (because I normally run from two different accounts on my laptop, but I'd like them to share extensions, even the data). I hit the cancel, but then it doesn't show up. When I restart it asks again whether to install - which a) doesn't make sense, why would it need to repeat the download? b) is confusing - I thought I just did install it, but maybe I forgot or screwed up; and c) triggers my security suspicion, since I ignored the actual website during the initial download, and hence don't recognize the ftp url in the popup that appears on the restart. I've since redone the install and checked the url, so I'm willing to accept it next time, yet it's still quite confusing.

By the way, it's also confusing for this to be the semi-official bug list, as it seems to be. I just happened across it, but someone searching for extensions is going to expect the bug reporting to be either on the same site as the extension directory (extensions.mozdev.org in this case), or else on a home page for the extension. There's nothing in the header block at http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/sessionsaver saying where to report bugs, so my initial reaction was to post there. I'm just a little more compulsive than most people and decided to read the last few notes before posting.

Many thanks,

Gary
d_g

Post by d_g »

Get Session Saver here: http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=166

afaik n24 isn't publically available
Oomingmak

Post by Oomingmak »

Is there any way to manage the SessionSaver menus by using some kind of css hack? (seeing as there are no menu configuration options).

I'd like to get rid of the ugly menus under the File menu and replace them with the SessionSaver menu that's found under Tools. (I'd then get rid of the Session Saver entry under Tools).

Thanks

Oomingmak
DaveQB

Post by DaveQB »

Man this is a long thread. My appologises if this has been aked and answered

anyone seen this ??

Happens with a clean install of 0.9.3, Tab Extensions and SessionSaver.

i have no success getting off version 0.8 of Firefox

thanx
Mandrake 10.1 OE
Athlon 1700+ @ 2600+ Epox 8RDA+
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20041007 Firefox/0.10.1
rue

Post by rue »

Oomingmak:
Hold down shift + mouseMove in the settings-pane. There's a hidden-pref to hide the file-menu items. Beyond that, css alone wont adjust anything; you'll need to actually open the extension and alter some <a href="http://xulplanet.com">XUL</a>.
--
DaveQB:
Try setting a homepage. I'll run some tests myself, in a bit.
It's unfortunate I coded it that way -- the alert stands a bit unnecessary. I'll remove it, next release.
Oomingmak

Post by Oomingmak »

Thanks Rue!

I found the 'hidden' option to hide the File menu items, but decided that I would have a go at altering the XUL (just for a laugh, as I have never done anything like that before).

Rather astonishingly (for a first-timer) I have successfully made most of the changes that I wanted (e.g. got rid of vague menu names like 'Create' and changed it to 'Save Session' to match the name of the corresponding toolbar button). I have also got rid of the Tools menu item and moved it over to the File menu and repositioned it just above 'Save Page As'.

However, I wanted to have the Session Saver menu in between its own menu separators (below 'Close Window' and above 'Save Page As'), but I can't get it to work correctly. It seems that wherever I insert a menu separator command, it either does nothing, or makes the Session Saver's menu disappear completely. I have tried putting the menu separator command in all sorts of different places, but none of them work correctly.

I'd be incredibly grateful if you could let me know where exactly the separator command should go to achieve the result described above, as it is pretty incomprehensible to a total code noob like me

Thanks very much

Oomingmak
DaveQB

Post by DaveQB »

rue wrote:DaveQB:
Try setting a homepage. I'll run some tests myself, in a bit.
It's unfortunate I coded it that way -- the alert stands a bit unnecessary. I'll remove it, next release.

Thanx alot for yuor time and reply.

I too thought of that and tried it, but no difference much to my surprise.

I have tried the version up on the main extension page and also one of your site ((?) version 23 or something)

I have tried wiping out my profile and the installation directory for Firefox (sorry if i didnt make this more apparent in my first post (early hours of the morning and all :) ))

I do have it workingh here at work with Mandrake 10.0 OE and Firefox 0.9.3. Only difference is i am using XFCE4 instead of KDE3.2 that i use at home.
Mandrake 10.1 OE
DaveQB

Post by DaveQB »

Hate to be a pain. Any news on this ? :)
Mandrake 10.1 OE
wildman

SessionSaver in Mozilla 1.7+

Post by wildman »

rue wrote:By all accounts, SessionSaver simply doesn't work with moz1.7+. I haven't resumed dev. yet, so I can't tell you why this is...

Wow, amazed this thread is still going ](*,) I'd like to thank Pike, Rue, Sboulema, Rowne and any others that have contributed to SessionSaver over the past year. It is the most important extension for me & the way I work, as significant as tabbed browsing itself. I too use Mozilla at work and would like to see SS supported or have this feature built in by default to Moz/FF as it is a very significantt feature... (and judging from the length of this thread, others think so too). Well we're getting close to a new milestone & still there isn't an SS available for Mozilla, will there ever be SS support for Mozilla? Can we please have an update about plans for SessionSaver?

What can I do? Would it help if SS had a homepage? Would paypal/money $$ help?
(I can't code well... and SS seems to be one of the more complex extensions.)

I really think that SessionSaver and other TBE Replacements should have their own home/domain on Mozdev....

I've read all 30+ pages of this thread & others many times over, perhaps I could help document & summarize the bugs and RFEs to SS. Here are some relavent links...

Extension Room :: Session Saver
The Extensions Mirror -> Session Saver 0.2d2 nightly23
Pike's Mozilla Extensions
SessionSaver .2d: new (rewrite) - MozillaZine Forums
The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Others -> SessionSaver
Rebuilding TBE's featureset with other plugins - MozillaZine Forums
Pike's Session Saver - How do I uninstall it - MozillaZine Forums
Session Saver- Buttons? - MozillaZine Forums
Sessionsaver - MozillaZine Forums
d_g

Post by d_g »

When I installed 1.0PR, I had to visit the link I posted above to install a new 'pass' of SS, compatible with 1.0PR. Just thought I'd say in case anyone comes looking :)
davidc04

Not all windows being restored after crash/restart

Post by davidc04 »

I'm having a problem wtih Session Saver. I'm using version 0.2 d1 nightly build 23, with Firefox 0.9.1.
I normally have a number of windows open (usually 3-4), each with multiple tabs open (from 5 to 25 or so).
After a crash or normal shutdown and restart of Firefox, the tabs in one window get restored (usually the last window I was viewing), but not any of the other windows.
Am I using the right version of Session Saver for FF 0.9.1 ? Is this a known issue of some sort ?

Thanks,
David.
ajhubble

Post by ajhubble »

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but I think SessionSaver would be more useful if it did not save the session for windows opened by javascript. I have set my Firefox to single window mode where all links are opened in tabs in the one window, but javascript windows are still (intentionally) opened as new windows - because they are often smaller than the main window (which I keep maximised) and things go wrong with the layout if they are blown up as a maximised tab.

The problem is when a javascript window is opened and I forget to close it first when exitting Firefox. When this little window is closed last, opening Firefox again results in SessionSaver shrinking the Firefox window to the size of the javascript window and reloading it. Needless to say, it lost the previous tab session replacing it with something like an advertisement or some other unimportant once-off window. Then it's a major problem trying to get all the menus, toolbars etc to show and restore my browser to what it was before (I have since disallowed hiding these UI elements in all windows for specifically this reason).

Perhaps SessionSaver can maintain 2 or 3 backups of tab sessions on exit? This way, if the last session gets corrupted, we can always go to the one before that. Or maybe SessionSaver can save the tab sessions (with the same backup methodology as above) of ALL windows in a single browsing session (displayed in a nested menu option showing the window name and how many tabs were associated with it). Then if something goes wrong, it's just a matter of restoring the main window that holds all your usual tabs.

Good idea?