[Ext] SessionSaver .2d: new (rewrite)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

I also vote for a TBE-Replacements page. It could outline the advantages of using seperate extensions over TBE, and also give a feature-to-feature comparison on TBE compared to alternatives. It could also be a place for people to request TBE features, as they could easily see what's not avaliable elsewhere.
rue

Post by rue »

Xanager:
It sounds like you didn't completely remove either version. Btw, are you sure SS wasn't initially root-installed?
Try this: in the application-dir, open the chome folder and delete "chrome.rdf" and its overlayinfo-dir. Open "installed-chrome.txt" and remove any lines referencing sessionsaver. Lastly, remove the xul-cache from your profile-dir -- "XUL.mfl" or variant.
If that still doesn't fix it, you've probably corrupted your profile-chrome's rdf registry. In that case, you should delete the profile-chrome folder *and* edit prefs.js to remove all lines concerning sessionsaver.

ps: be sure to enable "automatic-restoration" in prefs. otherwise, it only activates on crash-recovery.
dorando

Post by dorando »

Hmm, it seems SessionSaver .2d is setting sessionsaver.settings.autosave in the config screen but is not using it. Adding 'user_pref("sessionsaver.settings.shutdown", true);' to prefs.js seems to enable autosaving for me.
rue

Post by rue »

dorando:
A build was posted briefly yesterday which only crash-recovered. You might have grabbed it during that window.
However, all builds (including that one) have "autosaving" permanently-on. The pref for autosave is ignored, and I'll likely remove it. It runs contrary to the purpose of crash-recovery.
Btw, the ".settings.shutdown" pref is how SS knows the last session was properly shutdown.
d_g

Post by d_g »

How about moving the version number to 0.3?
dorando

Post by dorando »

rue wrote:A build was posted briefly yesterday which only crash-recovered. You might have grabbed it during that window.

I installed it a few minutes before posting (in a clean profile). Also the jar I have is identical to 0.2 d1 pass3 so I expect this is the newest version (also tried to replace my with it).
rue

Post by rue »

dangrey:
I usually retain version numbers for a long time. What I prefer to change are the build, nightly and pass numbers. The breakdown:
    version: for structural/core changes
    build: milestone, for sets of changes, a-la feature-groups
    nightly: daily progress on a build
    pass: for multiple nightlies in a day
We're currently at: SessionSaver 0.2 d1 nightly 1 pass3.

--
dorando:
If it's working consistently for you now, it might have choked on the initial lack of prefs. I'll have to test for that condition to be sure.
frease

Post by frease »

Hi rue,

Sometimes, this session saver .2d does not remember the last closed tabs. It opens with no tabs at all. And when I chose to restore session, it opens 2 empty tabs for me. :(
rob_z11

Post by rob_z11 »

frease, check in the processes to make sure that you don't have firebird process still running? I had similar problem, and was really upset about upgrading to this new session saver, but it turned out that firebird did not shut down completely.

Just a thought..
frease

Post by frease »

rob_z11:

Maybe you are right. The next time that happens, I'll check that :)
rue

Post by rue »

rob:
Since upgrading, have you experienced incomplete-shutdowns more than once?
If you don't mind, run this test: open two browsers, noting which was first. Close the first. Now, open the script-console -- Tools > Web Development > JavaScript Console. Paste this line in the entry-area and hit return:
    rue wrote:var appShell = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/appshell/appShellService;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIAppShellService); var hiddenWnd = appShell.hiddenDOMWindow; alert(hiddenWnd.SessionSaverObserver.load);
If you don't see a code-filled alert, I'll need to make some adjustments.
rue

Post by rue »

d1 nightly2 posted:
    further patching for error-handling loops
    remembers scrollbar window-chrome
d_g

Post by d_g »

Will it ever reach 1.0? :D
rue

Post by rue »

nightly 2 pass2 is posted:
    removal of original version's prefs.
    proper handling for prefs on "clean install" -- re: dorando
Xanager

Post by Xanager »

Well, I must be doing something completely wrong.

I tried doing both things you suggested rue, but to no avail. So, finally, I just erased all of Firebird and unzipped a new one. No extensions were listed in the options. So, I click on the installer link on the firt page of this thread, and download the sessionsaver-02-dev.xpi file and it loads fine. Then I restart the browser. However, the when I go the the sessionsaver options under the extensions list, I only see:

"Automatically store a session at shutdown
Automatically restore a session at startup"

I tried downloading the .jar file and replacing the one in my profile, although I think they are the same.
I know I may sound stupid, but I figure I'm just overlooking something simple I'm doing. I'm normally not this slow 8-[

I very well may have installed it root. When I started using FireBird about a week ago, I was just learning. I figured even if I did install it root, deleting the root folder and starting with a new one would fix that, but I'm sure that could be wrong :) Thanks guys.