[ext] NoScript 1.1.4.5 - faster and neater

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
stelt

Re: cleaner GUI idea

Post by stelt »

Alfred Neuman wrote:How about allowing one to click on multiple lines in the list before it closes?

Yes, let the dialog automatically disappear after mousing out of it, instead of on clicking something
Giorgio Maone

Re: cleaner GUI idea

Post by Giorgio Maone »

stelt wrote:
Alfred Neuman wrote:How about allowing one to click on multiple lines in the list before it closes?

Yes, let the dialog automatically disappear after mousing out of it, instead of on clicking something

Eh eh, I would have kept the secret a bit longer, but now that it's out... this is actually the direction where the new NoScript "quick changes" front-end is going :P
The back-end will have a blacklist and fine grained permissions.

Please be patient (a couple months away) :)
jmasters

NoScript conflicts with yahoo classic webmail interface

Post by jmasters »

I use the webmail interface (classic) for sbcglobal.net (uses sbc.yahoo.com to access it), and found that the NoScript extension (in the last few hours) renders the body of my emails invisible. (The space is allocated depending on the length, but there's no text shown or even there (I tried to select the text))

It turns out that after disabling all extensions (the text is seen in my mail), and by process of elimination, the NoScript extension was identified as the problem.

I'm required to allow yahoo.com scripts to run to get access to my email and whitelisting yahoo.com works. But yimg.com is also another domain of scripts that tries to run. For some reason, I had enabled that in the past, but it's not playing well with Firefox when the scripting is enabled for that domain now.

When I keep yimg.com scripts disabled, firefox shows the text properly. When it's enabled, firefox has invisible text that doesn't exist there.

Is there something in the processing of allowed scripts in NoScript that doesn't allow for text to be seen? Again, if NoScript is completely disabled (running Firefox in safe mode, or disabling it under a normal firefox start) the text is seen properly.

But allow NoScript to be enabled and hitting these web pages for mail with whitelisted scripts causes mail text to disappear.

J

Is there a problem with NoScript
Giorgio Maone

Re: NoScript conflicts with yahoo classic webmail interface

Post by Giorgio Maone »

jmasters wrote:Is there something in the processing of allowed scripts in NoScript that doesn't allow for text to be seen?

Yes, every time the text is loaded, written or otherwise produced by a script NoScript will (quite obviously) prevent it from showing until you allow scripts for that domain.

Notice that there's a specific NoScript VS Yahoo FAQ.

In short, you still need to allow about:blank (and kill the Yahoo Application State plugin if necessary).
evan1t

Noscript noise

Post by evan1t »

I know that Noscript has the built-in "toilet" noise, and I have disabled that. But, when noscript drops down the bar that tells me that scripts have been blocked, that bar generates a fairly loud plunk noise that is quite different from the Noscript noise.

Any idea where I can find and configure that noise? I'd like to shut it off, or at least quiet it down.

Thanks!
Evan
Evan L Marcus
virtdave

Post by virtdave »

"you still need to allow about:blank (and kill the Yahoo Application State plugin if necessary)."

could it be that there is a similar Yahoo plugin for yahoo calendar that must be disabled? when I use the yahoo calendar in a clean profile, it works fine with NoScript (allowing about:blank) but in my main profile, about:blank is not even listed as one of the things which is seen by NoScript, though it is whitelisted there too, and I must globally allow scripts to make Yahoo calendar work there.
lulu135

plugin blocking

Post by lulu135 »

I just got this installed... very nice. But what I really want to use it for is a plugin/flash whitelister. I don't need JavaScript blocking.

All that's needed is one more checkbox... just like for Java/Flash/other plugins. So, please consider allowing this extension to disable plugins but not JavaScript.

thanks for reading. :)
rajeevmozilla

Fix for Yahoo Mail incompatibility: disable Yahoo Shortcuts

Post by rajeevmozilla »

NoScript is incompatible with the non-beta version of Yahoo Mail
(the old, fast version, not the new slow Web 2.0 version).
I found a fix for this here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=494692
The solution is to disable Yahoo Shortcuts, which are on by default.
Go to Mail Options / General Preferences, and then at the bottom
of the Messages section, select "Do not show me Yahoo! Shortcuts"
and hit "Save".
Alfred Neuman

Post by Alfred Neuman »

virtdave wrote:I still have to allow global scripts to use calendar.yahoo fully, and as of a few days ago, a site which was working fine now also requires global authorization to work: it's a Danish streaming radio station, http://www.dr.dk/Musik/Klassisk/20051003144642.htm , and to stream its (classical music) broadcast one is supposed to click on (in the small NetPlayer window) DR Klassisk. This plays fine when global authorization is done,

With all due respect Mr. Maone, this appears to be the same problem that I have with some sites, cnn.com among them, that need to have global authorization to work. Allowing all scripts to run on the site individually still does not allow the videos to run on CNN.

I know that NoScript will work as advertised on a clean profile, but I want to keep my other extensions.

While you are making other enhancements to NoScript, I would appreciate your keeping an eye open for why your extension is susceptible to being "crippled" by other code.
Do you often feel that you must be from another planet, or wish you were?
therube

Post by therube »

The current version of NoScript "breaks" the "UP" bookmarklet - sometimes.
Instead of going UP, chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul opens up.
PS: I assume you are aware, but note that bookmarklets/extensions may need to be updated.

noscript-1.1.4.5.061127.xpi
UP broken - sometimes
(broken if JavaScript is disabled, works if JavaScript is enabled for dslreports.com)

noscript-1.1.4.5.xpi
UP works
(works regardless of whether JavaScript is enabled or not)

Test site:
http://www.dslreports.com/sitesearch

UP
http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/misc.html#up

Changes are a'coming
Bookmarklets updated to comply with DOM 2 rule

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20060919 SeaMonkey/1.1b
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

therube wrote:Instead of going UP, chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul opens up.

It's a side effect of my work-around for the "fix" to bug 351633.

Since this work-around is needed only in Moz 1.9, I've just reverted to the old bookmarklet evaluation technique for current branch and below by checking more strictly browser version (while I'm still investigating a more consistent work-around for Moz 1.9):
NoScript 1.1.4.5.061206 (please use the direct link until AMO publish the new build).
JediRy

Workaround for YahooMail (non-beta) vs. NoScript problems

Post by JediRy »

As previously mentioned on this forum, there is an incompatibility between the new Yahoo Shortcuts feature and NoScript, which causes the message to be of the correct length, but all text to be invisible.

I have found a workaround for this, which allows both Yahoo Shortcuts and NoScript to be run:
1. Go to YahooMail and view a message that is invisible
2. Make sure you've allowed scripts for all the Yahoo domains that you need for Yahoo Mail.
3. Click the NoScript icon in the statusbar -> Options... -> Advanced
4. Check the "Allow <a ping>" option and close the dialog. Reload the page. Your message should now render.
5. Go back into the dialog and disable that option again. You should now be able to use read all your Yahoo messages.

The funny thing is that this doesn't actually change anything in the end...it just seems to "kick" NoScript somehow. Perhaps a bug in NoScript?
reevuur

Post by reevuur »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
reevuur wrote:user_pref("capability.policy.default.javascript.enabled", "noAccess");
user_pref("capability.policy.maonoscript.javascript.enabled", "allAccess");
user_pref("capability.policy.maonoscript.sites", .......> a lot of sites
user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "maonoscript");

It's just the kosher setup.
I can't figure out any reason why it shouldn't work, aside some type of corruption in your whitelist (which never happened before, though)...
Would you mind to send me your whitelist (if it's not too much private), i.e. the maonoscript.sites line, either by PM or email?

Thanks!

I've sent you the maonoscript.sites by PM.
Have you found something?

Almost all my sites gives the indication "Scripts Partially Allowed" when I have clicked on enable "name_of_site".

A lot of javascripts doesn't work.
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

reevuur wrote:I've sent you the maonoscript.sites by PM.
Have you found something?

No, it looks like a fair ordinary whitelist. Also, installing it on a clean profile didn't cause any unexpected behaviour :-k
reevuur wrote:Almost all my sites gives the indication "Scripts Partially Allowed" when I have clicked on enable "name_of_site".

What does it say if you click again on the button?
Many pages use JavaScript to load other scripts, so you can't see some forbidden domains until the main is allowed. This actually means sometime you can see "script partially allowed" after you allowed the only one domain you can see, because other script origins could be detected only afterwards.
yankeedam

reading for pleasure

Post by yankeedam »

Hi, Giorgio -- My first post here, thanks for saving my life many times that I don't even know about.

..........In my web work, I click on PDF files about 10% of the time. NoScript hates them all, and makes me click the icon and then click "allow" before I can go on with my reading. Please, can you eliminate this annoyance?

..........I think the best way would be to enable a preference control to open any web page that was a certain type of file. That would help us PDF readers, but could also help others who repeatedly open specialized file types in their lines of work. Many file types appear only on specialized, scholarly sites. But this control could even help people cruising on the bad side of town, peeking at exciting JPG files, IF they are running powerful virus guards.

..........Personally, I don't use virus or spyware protection. I hate their constant grinding of the hard drive and shimmering of the hour glass. I do force the bad stuff to fight through my hardware router, a proxy server, FlashBlock that kills ads, ZoneAlarm free version, and finally your wonderful program. And all my ports are closed using online tools. If ever the system totally crashes (always my fault), I use wonderful old GoBack 3 Deluxe, which obligingly returns my hard drive to any moment it can remember. (The choices it offers are about every five minutes for about two weeks back, which beats the XP tool by a mile.) I've never knowingly been infected, except for the occasional sneaky cookie that ZoneAlarm says is trying to call home. When I clean out my unfamiliar-sounding cookies, the sneaky messages stop.

..........Thanks again for a great extension.