[ext] NoScript 1.1.4.5 - faster and neater

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
andy_tech

Re: Poor performance in NoScript and/or Firefox

Post by andy_tech »

Safari wrote:There's a performance problem in NoScript 1.1.4.5.061030 and/or Firefox 1.5.0.7-6.fc6 (Fedora IA-32).
Adding or removing a domain takes 25s of CPU time. 25s does not include reloading the page.
Also, opening Options menu takes the same amount of time.

If you need to ask how many domains I have in the config file or how slow CPU I have, that's good.
It means that you have admitted modifying list of domains is O(n) operation.

When NoScript checks is domain allowed to use Javascript, is that O(n), too?

I have had this problem for a while. It is due to the number of sites on the whitelist. It has got to the point that it is almost unusable.
I now have 961 sites on the whitelist, and now allowing or forbiding a site causes the 'script not responding' message.
I have previously increased the value in about:config of dom. max_script_run_time to 8, which prevented the 'script not responding' message for a while, but now the whitelist has grown again the 'script not responding' is back.
I have just deleted all sites from the whitelist (after backing up) and after taking several minutes to delete them it responds quickly now, but I do need to use the existing whitelist.
I am using firefox 2.0, but was the same in 1.5.0.7. My processor is an Athlon XP 2600+.
Mozcerize

Post by Mozcerize »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
arxaw wrote:Is there a way to disable: Left clicking on NoScript toolbar button toggles permissions for current top-level site?

:oops:I'll make it optional in next release.
In the meanwhile, if you just don't tolerate it but you don't want to downgrade NoScript, you may want to install the userChrome.js extension (which I've just discovered thanks to your problem, and I feel will become one of my favourites) and put these lines in your userChrome.js file:

Code: Select all

(function() {
   var tbb =  document.getElementById("noscript-tbb");
   if(tbb) {
     tbb.type = "menu";
     tbb.oncommand = "";
   }
 })();

Hope it helps :-)

Hi Giorgio! When you said "the next release", did you mean the next subminor release (presumably 1.1.5)? I'm just too used to left-clicking bringing up the menu instead of activating a setting.

Cheers
Mozcerize
nezvanova11

Missing Status Bar Icon for NoScript

Post by nezvanova11 »

I have NoScript Version1.1.4.5.061030 that was automtically installed/updated in my FireFoxV2.0.
Since this auto-update, NoScript icon is no longer displayed on the StatusBar.
I can hear the warning sound (chrome://noscript/skin/block.wav) but I have not been able to make the icon appear in the FireFox StatusBar.
* No changes to the system nor to FireFox options were made before or after this update
* FireFox option for script handling is ENABLED per NoScript' FAQ recommendation
* All combinations of NoScript "Appearance" tab options have been tried without success
* I have enabled and disabled NoScript extension (+ reboots of FF) without success
* I have uninstalled then reinstalled NoScript (+ reboots of FF) without success
* I have disabled and/or uninstalled other extensions' icons from the StatusBar without success

I hope I have given you enough information about this problem with the new version of your (otherwise) great extension.
bgfunk76

Post by bgfunk76 »

Just wanted to see if The OP and I could get some help with this seemingly NoScript related problem- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=491406
`(•.°)~
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

@andy_tech: such a large whitelist is quite unusual (provided that you can temporarily allow the less frequently visited trusted sites), but optimizing for speed is one of my top development priorities. I'll remember to contact you as an early tester.
@neznanova11: Does the contextual (right-click) menu show? I strongly suspect a nasty interaction with another extension providing status bar icons (even if currently hidden). Would you mind to email me a zip of your profile (obviously "anonymizing it" first by copying it somewhere and deleting from the copy the "bookmarks*.html" files and any "sensible" preferences from prefs.js and user.js)? Thanks!
@bgfunk76: NoScript FAQ 3.7
bgfunk76

Post by bgfunk76 »

Thanks Giorgio.
I've actually complained about people not reading the FAQ's and now I'm one of them. :oops:
Manually adding "about:blank" did the trick.

Out of curiosity, I've had NoScript installed for over a year now so why did I not have this problem until one week ago?

Edit- Maybe I inadvertently hit "Forbid about:blank"
Last edited by bgfunk76 on November 24th, 2006, 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
nezvanova11

Post by nezvanova11 »

Giorgio Maone wrote:... @neznanova11: Does the contextual (right-click) menu show? I strongly suspect a nasty interaction with another extension providing status bar icons (even if currently hidden). Would you mind to email me a zip of your profile (obviously "anonymizing it" first by copying it somewhere and deleting from the copy the "bookmarks*.html" files and any "sensible" preferences from prefs.js and user.js)? Thanks!...
My original reply here was that I did not think it was wise for me to release such information from a 13MBytes UserProfile.

Thus, I had no choice but to systematically go through all 35 of my extensions to find the one that was causing NoScript Icon to not display in the FFv2 StatusBar. It's bad news all around:
I have identified THREE separate extensions that cause NoScript icon to go missing from the StatusBar:
1. ShowIP
2. StatusBarClock
3. SwitchProxy

Each one of these 3 extension cause NoScript icon to not display on the StatusBar.
Granted, each one of these extensions provide information or an icon on the StatusBar, but this missing NoScript icon problem did not materialize until I installed the latest version of NoScript.

If you would like to make the previous version of NoScript avaiable to me, I would be willing to try one more experiment on your behalf.

Thank you and Happy Thanks Giving.
andy_tech

Post by andy_tech »

Old versions are available from the mozilla addons site :

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/722/history/

Uninstall the current version and restart firefox before installing.
Reboneer

Post by Reboneer »

Reboneer wrote:
Reboneer wrote:I've just started using NoScript a few days ago, and can't get the "Allow (domain)" function to work. Clicking it will refresh the page, but JavaScript still won't work. I try doing a restart (using the Restarter extension, which simply allows you to use FF's built-in restarting function), and it still doesn't work. Only once I completely close the browser and open it again is JavaScript allowed at the domain.

I'm running Firefox 2.0, and have the following extensions installed if that makes any difference:
Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.3.0.4
Adblock Plus 0.7.2.2
BlockSite 0.4.2
Clone Window 0.2.7
CookieCuller 1.3.1
CustomizeGoogle 0.49
DOM Inspector 1.8.1
English (Australian) Dictionary 0.2
FlashGot 0.5.97.01
Googlebar Lite 4.4
NoScript 1.1.4.5.061030
Restarter 1.0
Talkback 2.0
Reboneer wrote:Problem persists even with all extensions besides NoScript disabled. I also tried using a new profile, which didn't help either.

So... No solution to this problem?
k-dash

Gmail Space conflicts

Post by k-dash »

Could you add "Gmail Space" ext. support? https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1593/
That would be great!
frogb

Post by frogb »

I don't know anyone has considered this. The noscript toolbar behaviour seems a bit inconsistent with other addons. Right now, the situtation is:
Right-Click on back button -> menu
Right-Click on stylish -> menu
Right-Click on switchproxy -> menu
Right-Click on greasemonkey -> menu
Right-Click on noscript -> nothing
Because of noscript, I keep accidently left clicking on other buttons by mistake and it gets a bit annoying. Stylish actually gives the menu on left click as well. If right-click isn't going to be used for anything else, then maybe this would be the best option (menu on left or right click).
Magnus Lundberg

Post by Magnus Lundberg »

Since I updated to FF 2.0 Noscript will no longer install. I get the message:

Requires additional items.
Disabled of your protection.

Thankful for any input on this.
virtdave

Post by virtdave »

I still have to allow global scripts to use calendar.yahoo fully, and as of a few days ago, a site which was working fine now also requires global authorization to work: it's a Danish streaming radio station, http://www.dr.dk/Musik/Klassisk/20051003144642.htm , and to stream its (classical music) broadcast one is supposed to click on (in the small NetPlayer window) DR Klassisk. This plays fine when global authorization is done, but when only the site (dr.dk) is whitelisted, no streaming occurs. If I open 'Properties' in the link, it reads:

javascript:openWin('http://netradio.dr.dk/player.asp?station=17','','width=653,height=290');
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

@Reboneer: the fact a clean profile doesn't help leaves me totally puzzled, as everybody should have the same problem but you're the only one reporting it so far :-k Does it happen with a specific site or on every domain you try to allow?

@Magnus Lundberg: where are you downloading NoScript from? could you try to completely uninstall and reinstall it from https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/722 ?

@virtdave: You just need to allow both dr.dk and about:blank (I'm glad I put the latter in the default whitelist since a while) :)
virtdave

Post by virtdave »

thanks, Giorgio, but I already tried allowing about:blank--doesn't work