[ext] NoScript 1.1.4.5 - faster and neater

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
GratefulDiver

Personal whitelist repositories

Post by GratefulDiver »

Essentially, anything to automate the export/import of whitelists across machines via automated account login. (Like Google Browser Sync...)

Best extension by far, thanks for developing!
virtdave

Post by virtdave »

You may get a more informed response, or you may already be more sophisticated than am I, but the whitelist import/export is so easy using a USB memory stick that I don't find it onerous.
adamgosling

about:blank

Post by adamgosling »

I've started getting a no-script warning on my about:blank page??! This often occurs viewing pop-up text entry pages and the like. It also appears if I close the last browser tab leaving one empty tab open on the tab bar.
I'm wondering if this is some sort of bug since the upgrade to FF 2.0, or if I have some nasty buried in my system. I've run a virus check, adaware and spybot and none of them are picking anything up.
I've looked at the page source on an about:blank page and there's nothing there except a pretty standard empty html page. I'm not sure where this page is loaded form though If anybody can point me to that spot I'll have a look at it outside of a browser, too.
Are other people getting similar no script warnings on about:blank, so I can stop looking for the cause?
PS. I'm happy with whitelist thanks. I spend all day in a browser and it's no trouble to white list the sites. That was I decide who gets control.
virtdave

Post by virtdave »

I do get the same, and have posted this earlier on this thread. For some sites (e.g. kayak.com, and calendar.yahoo.com), the only way to work around this is to temporarily disable noscript. I do believe this bug is new, since before the most recent versions of NoScript and Firefox, I did not have this problem. There probably are hidden scripts on both of these pages which are not now detected (i.e, listed as present) by NoScript, and yet are disabled by it, but I am totally clueless as to how to find out what they might be.
CAZephyr

Post by CAZephyr »

There is nothing sinister with the about:blank pages. See the faq: http://www.noscript.net/faq#qa1_9. The about:blank is simply an artifact of creating sub-frames within a page via scripting, because first you have to create the frame before you can name it. And guess what the default name for a new blank frame is? On a number of web sites I see about:blank, that then disappears once the page has finished rendering. In some cases the about:blank stays there, but that just means they never bothered to actually name that frame. Creating frames on the fly using scripts like that is happening quite frequently these days.
As the faq states, since you had to allow the script that created the about:blank frame in the first place, allowing scripts from about:blank is relatively low risk.
virtdave

Post by virtdave »

ok, but even when i do allow about:blank , the sites I mention above (calendar.yahoo.com and kayak.com) do not fully work unless I temporarily disable noscript
adamgosling

thanks

Post by adamgosling »

Thanks heaps. I've allowed about:blank. And the place where this was important to me is now working okay.
Sorry for not doing my homework before posting. I tried to search for it, but could only search the entire forum, couldn't work out how to just search this thread.
I should have read the FAQ though I suppose. My Bad.
Thanks for the prompt and informed replies.
bcool

Post by bcool »

I have been getting a XPCOM:EventReceiver error on shutdown - - - very noticeable since Firefox 2.0. In fact it was discovered when I was trying to troubleshoot a WINXP shutdown issue. Because I had set Windows to auto terminate processes at shutdown, I could not see what process or event was giving me headaches at log off or shutdown. Windows would hang intermittently at the Welcome screen "Saving your settings" - I could always reset the box without any problems whatsoever but it was annoying as hell. Finally I reverted to Windows default setting for handling of these loitering processes during shutdown and bang! - up pops XPCOM:EventReceiver. This process or event has always required a manual hands on termination to kill it - Windows would not do it on its own. I've been looking at NoScript to be at the root of my shutdown woes. Insufficient data in yet but I'm testing it. I have disabled NoScript 1.1.4.5.061030 in Firefox 2.0 and so far I have not seen a XPCOM:EventReceiver error. Way too soon for this to be conclusive. I'm not technically savvy enough to understand what part of XPCOM that NoScript interacts with or whether it is even feasible for NoScript to be the cause of this hang up. There is additional discussion about this shutdown error message here http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 16#2597316
Never let them see you sweat
michichi

unable block floating ad

Post by michichi »

hello

when you go to ebay and paste this article number: 150059019045 or look at any other article from the vendor/shop selling this, you will see on left hand side a floating "buy now" ad, that floats up and down with the scrolled page

not only that it is realy annoying, but in my opinion, it is also extremely unsecure, as who knows, if the "buy now" button uses the secure ebay connection or not?

i tried to block it with adblock plus as with no script it was not done - i have allready blocked all i could with no script, but this thing will not dissapear

with adblock plus i was able to block the button gif, but not the floating thing.

may be someone here can find a solution? thank you
michichi

p.s. i copy/pasted the same question to adblock plus thread too
"I don´t know where we are going, or how we will get there, but when we will get there, we will be there, and that´s something, even if it´s nothing...." (unknown)
rajeevmozilla

Conflicts with Yahoo Mail (non-beta)

Post by rajeevmozilla »

Within the last week or so, this extension has started to cause problems with the old version of Yahoo Mail (the fast, simple version, not the slow "Web 2.0" beta version).
The text of messages does not show up properly, I just get a scrollbar (FF 2.0, Mac OS X 10.4.8). When I disable NoScript, the problem goes away. The mail text displays fine in Yahoo Mail beta, but that runs so slow that I'd rather stick with the pre-beta version.
I'm not sure whether this conflict needs to be fixed at the NoScript end, or the Yahoo Mail end.
me36835

Post by me36835 »

Hello, it's my first day in this forum and I know I should use the search before I start to enter a new thread, but I have no idea, which search pattern could work appropriate.

I have the following setup:
firefox 1.5.0.8 / MR tech local install 5.3.1.1 / Java 1.5.0_06-b05 / ORACLE JInitiator 1.3.1.18 / Windows XP (updated with Microsoft updater to actual version)

And my issue is, that load of a page via ORACLE Application Server 10g does not open while noscript 1.1.4.4 or 1.1.4.5 is installed, even, when everything is marked as "allowed". It hangs up before the information "loading java applet ..." turns up. Before restart of firefox, I have to kill firefox from the task list.

Without noscript 1.1.4.4 or 1.1.4.5 the java applett loads and runs as expected.

As far as I remember the issue did not exist in Januar with the newest versions, I had installed then.

Were can I get the XPI files of old versions of noscript?
Regards / Thomas
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

@rajeevmozilla: most probably you're hitting the evil yahoo plugin problem explained in this AdBlock plus page - http://adblockplus.org/en/npYState

@me36835: previous NoScript releases can be downloaded from https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/722/history/
However I'd love to test this issue first hand: can you point me an accessible sample URL? Thanks!
me36835

Post by me36835 »

Hello Giorgio,
Thx for your quick reply.

Unfortunately older versions (1.1.3.9) show the same effect, today. Additionally I have tried it with updated java 1.5.0_09, but issue remains.

There is only one add on, which has the same effect. It is IE Tab 1.1.1.4.

Unfortunately I can not give you an URL, because it is a companies' internal application, which is not for external use at all.

I am off for today.
Regards / Thomas
rajeevmozilla

Post by rajeevmozilla »

Thanks for the reply about the Yahoo Mail problem. However, I don't have that plugin.
Here's my list of plugins, from about:plugins

Java Embedding Plugin 0.9.5+g+2
Default Plug-in
Unity Web Player
Shockwave Flash
DivX Browser Plug-In
Verified Download Plugin
RealPlayer Plugin
Flip4Mac WMV Plugin 2.0.2
OJI Plugin for Mac OS X, v1.0
Java Plug-in (CFM)
PDF Browser Plugin 2.2.2
Musicnotes
QuickTime Plug-in 7.0.3
Java Plug-in
Shockwave for Director
Sibelius Scorch
Adobe SVG Viewer v3.0 for Macintosh

I don't think that any of those are recent installations, but this problem with Yahoo Mail non-beta is fairly recent,
within the last couple of weeks, I think. Does anyone not on a Mac get this? I am on Mac OS X 10.4.8, with FF 2.0
andy_tech

Re: whitelist storage

Post by andy_tech »

parker022 wrote:where does noscript store the list of whitelisted domains?

In the firefox profile folder, usually WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*.default

In the prefs.js file, on the line :

user_pref("capability.policy.maonoscript.sites",".....sites.......")
Last edited by andy_tech on November 18th, 2006, 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.