Download Manager Tweak (now, and the future)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Mighty BOB!

Re: Download Manager Tweak (now, and the future)

Post by Mighty BOB! »

I am very sad that this is not compatible with 3.*.

I had put off upgrading to FF3 for a few months because of this and a couple of other addons not being compatible, but now I have made the leap and I miss the extra functionality of Download Manager Tweak. :(

I've found suitable replacements for my other addons that weren't compatible, but Download Manager Tweak has no suitable replacement. I got Custom Download Manager so that the manager at least opens in a tab instead of a separate window, but DMT is a clearly superior extension. :(
"We are living in a post-common sense society." - Wesforce
Jive51

Post by Jive51 »

I saw here:
http://www.geckozone.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71815
this comment made (using French) by "jpj" (a developer)
"Une seule restriction, les actions sur le bouton "Vider la liste" ou sur le menu contextuel "Retirer de la liste" ne rafraîchissent pas la page automatiquement dans un onglet et nécessite un F5." (Only one restriction, the actions on the button to "Empty the list" or on the contextual menu to "Withdraw the list" doesn't cool the page automatically in a tab and require a F5)
If DMT is opening a new small page, F5 don't work. So, I selected "Open in a new tab", and ... woopiwa !!! It's working!!!

Resume:
- Select the option "Open DMT in a new tab"
- Hit F5 to refresh the page if you delete a download, and your list will be updated.
- The only one problem of DMT is that it's not doing it automatically, but all is working perfectly well with Firefox v3.0.5

:-"
devaraj

Post by devaraj »

Jive51 wrote:I saw here:
http://www.geckozone.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71815
this comment made (using French) by "jpj" (a developer)
"Une seule restriction, les actions sur le bouton "Vider la liste" ou sur le menu contextuel "Retirer de la liste" ne rafraîchissent pas la page automatiquement dans un onglet et nécessite un F5." (Only one restriction, the actions on the button to "Empty the list" or on the contextual menu to "Withdraw the list" doesn't cool the page automatically in a tab and require a F5)
If DMT is opening a new small page, F5 don't work. So, I selected "Open in a new tab", and ... woopiwa !!! It's working!!!

Resume:
- Select the option "Open DMT in a new tab"
- Hit F5 to refresh the page if you delete a download, and your list will be updated.
- The only one problem of DMT is that it's not doing it automatically, but all is working perfectly well with Firefox v3.0.5

:-"

A "little" better translation of the comments in French:
One restriction, the "Clear List" or the context menu option to "Remove from list", does not refresh the list in a Tab and requires an "F5" (Refresh)

Please... no offense meant ... Jive51

On a side note...
If someone can tell me how to attach a file here, I will upload the file where I changed the one setting so that it should open in ff 3+ .... I changed the setting in install.rdf to read "3" instead of "2" in maxVersion :
<em:minVersion>2.0</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>3.*</em:maxVersion>

I call it : downloadmgr_072z.xpi
(If someone will host the file and post it, email me with your email address and I will send it to you).
No guarantees... I am a nube and I have no idea if this will work or not....
and if someone already did this and posted it... sorry ... I must of not seen it or misunderstood it's purpose...

Better than nothing.....

Peace, Blessings and Grace
Always and All Ways!
devaraj

Post by devaraj »

Ok.. so I tried the modified xpi to work with ff 3+ on a windows machine and got different results than jive51...
The window displayed fine and seemed to work... in an new window only!
If I tried to open it in a tab or in the sidebar, then I would get that same error that another user posted in this forum.
(Leave the Tools/add-on window open so you can change the settings for Download Manager Tweak)
I tried deleting an individual entry in the download list and it was not removed.

Oh well.... at least I tried...

Peace to All!

Devaraj
Jive51

Post by Jive51 »

wooooops, sorry, I forgot to put here the file used... It's not the official one, but another updated one made by someone else than me.

download_manager_tweak-0.7.2_for_FF3.zip : containing download_manager_tweak-0.7.2_for_FF3.xpi
Télécharger ici
devaraj

Post by devaraj »

Hi everyone.... again...
So I contacted emm_is and got this reply:

Hi,
Download manager tweak has, to my mind, been completely superseded by the plugin Download Statusbar.

Best, emm_is

...so I am checking that out!

Peace, Out!

Blessings and Grace
Devaraj
ygoe

Post by ygoe »

I'd really want downloads in a tab. I've used Download Statusbar years ago and uninstalled it again as I just wasn't that comfortable with it.
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

I finally got tired of sticking with 2.0 and started fixing DMT so I can update to 3.0. I used download_manager_tweak-0.7.2_for_FF3.zip as a base and got most of the broken features in that version to work in mine. It isn't the same as the original 0.7.2, but it has all the things I care about. I gave it a new version number. I found multiple 0.7.2's to be confusing. You can download it from here and try it out (Note that this link has been changed to the updated version mentioned two posts below):

< link to download_manager_tweak-0.8.0_for_FF3.xpi has been removed, use 0.8.1 >

I've never used rapidshare, so I hope it works. If I did it wrong then only 10 of you will be able to download it.
Last edited by squashr1979 on February 7th, 2009, 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
Jive51

Post by Jive51 »

Fantastic !!!
You made a great work: I can now have it opening in a new window and all is working finely. There is no need to use F5.

Here is the file hosted on my site at DooomWadStation.com:
http://doomwadstation.com/xtra/gzw/down ... or_FF3.xpi

Well done, and many great thanks!!
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

I developed this at home and just now tried to install it at work. The install failed for a stupid reason :oops: . I fixed the install.rdf and it worked. If you have trouble, the updated version is here:

< link to download_manager_tweak-0.8.0_for_FF3.xpi has been removed, use 0.8.1 >
Last edited by squashr1979 on February 7th, 2009, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
Jive51

Post by Jive51 »

It's... not yet perfect !!
](*,)
You can't delete several files on the list at the same time but 1 by 1, thus it was working before your changes.
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

"You can't delete several files on the list at the same time but 1 by 1, thus it was working before your changes."

From what I could tell, the Clean Up button in the command bar, and the Clear List button at the bottom left, called the same code and did the exact same thing. Rather than have two buttons that do the same thing, I changed the Clean Up button to be the Remove From List button. In FF 2.0, the tab view of DMT had a trash can icon in each download. My Remove From List button does what that icon did, remove the selected download. Try the Clear List button at the bottom left and see if it does what you want.

I'm working on more changes, there should be an 0.8.1 within a week or so, but I wanted to get the basic fixes out there early. Go ahead and suggest changes you might want, I will happily ignore all the suggestions I don't like.
RNiK

Post by RNiK »

squashr1979 wrote:I finally got tired of sticking with 2.0 and started fixing DMT so I can update to 3.0. I used download_manager_tweak-0.7.2_for_FF3.zip as a base and got most of the broken features in that version to work in mine. It isn't the same as the original 0.7.2, but it has all the things I care about. I gave it a new version number. I found multiple 0.7.2's to be confusing. You can download it from here and try it out (Note that this link has been changed to the updated version mentioned two posts below):

http://rapidshare.com/files/187358984/download_manager_tweak-0.8.0_for_FF3.xpi

I've never used rapidshare, so I hope it works. If I did it wrong then only 10 of you will be able to download it.

Interesting news! 8-)

Keep up the good work! :wink:
MondoWin ==> Italian site for information about MS Windows tweaking
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

As I promised, here is 0.8.1:

http://rapidshare.com/files/190035525/download_manager_tweak-0.8.1_for_FF3.xpi

This version is a lot better than 0.8.0. Some of my fixes had been done the wrong way. This is my first time with JavaScript and XUL. I learned a lot in the last week and now the fixes are done properly (I think). Some subtle things that were broken now work. The biggest example is the, new to FF 3.0, ability to select multiple loads (with shift and cntl keys) and apply a command to all of them.

I also added a new feature, which I call the infobar. There is an option to not show it if you don't like it. The things 0.7.2 showed in the tab view, and aren't already in the standard list, are shown in the infobar. The drawback is the infobar only shows these for the one selected download. The advantage is it can be added to the window and sidebar views.

Someday I'd like to add a Delete File button, but I'm not sure when I'll have that much time. When I do that, I'd remove the Download button to make room. I see the Download button as useless. It only works for canceled or failed downloads, in which case the list already includes a retry button.
Jive51

Post by Jive51 »

fantastic work!!!
The community should be very thankful to you for these great improvements!!!
It's working perfectly well, apparently.
Applauds !!