Download Manager Tweak (now, and the future)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ygoe

Re: Download Manager Tweak (now, and the future)

Post by ygoe »

squashr1979 wrote:A previous post in this thread provided the following German translations:
<!ENTITY queueLinkCmd.label "Zur Download Warteschlange hinzufügen...">
<!ENTITY queueLinkCmd.accesskey "W">
<!ENTITY pref.queue.label "Download Warteschlange">
<!ENTITY pref.maxConcurrentDownloads "Höchste Anzahl an gleichzeitigen Downloads der Warteschlange:">
<!ENTITY pending.label "Warte...">

May I provide a more common and correct translation:

Code: Select all

<!ENTITY queueLinkCmd.label               "Zur Download-Warteschlange hinzufügen...">
<!ENTITY pref.queue.label                 "Download-Warteschlange">

<!ENTITY pref.maxConcurrentDownloads "Maximum number of active queued downloads:">

What does that mean? Is the download active (i.e. running) or queued (i.e. NOT running yet)? Is this the number of active running downloads or the number of queued downloads? What happens if this number is exceeded? I cannot provide a translation in any language until I understand this.

<!ENTITY pref.showInfoBar "Show the infobar, attached to the toolbar.">
<!ENTITY cmd.deleteFile.label "Delete File">
<!ENTITY cmd.deleteFile.accesskey "D">
<!ENTITY cmd.deleteFile.tooltip "Deletes downloaded file from the system">

Code: Select all

<!ENTITY cmd.deleteFile.label             "Datei löschen">
<!ENTITY cmd.deleteFile.accesskey         "L">
<!ENTITY cmd.deleteFile.tooltip           "Löscht die heruntergeladene Datei vom Computer">

Eine Erweiterung des Firefox Download Managers, die dessen Aussehen verändert und es ermöglicht diesen in einem separaten Fenster, einem neuen Tab oder dem Sidebar zu öffnen.

"Eine Erweiterung des Firefox-Download-Managers, die dessen Aussehen verändert und es ermöglicht, diesen in einem separaten Fenster, einem neuen Tab oder der Sidebar zu öffnen."
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

<!ENTITY pref.maxConcurrentDownloads "Maximum number of active queued downloads:">
What does that mean?

This is for the Download Queue feature that I am probably going to remove. There is a previous post that tries to explain it in some detail.

I am much more interested in a translation for:

You missed that one. It shows up in the options popup in 0.8.1. Oh, thanks for the delete file translations.

Every day that goes by makes me want to delete the Download Queue more and more. Most of DMT is pretty simple, and can be figured out by a little experimenting, which is why there is no help or documentation anywhere. This feature took me hours of looking at the source code to figure out what it is doing. Any documentation I try to write for it never seems to explain how it works to anybody but me. That alone is reason enough to kill it, never mind any bugs that are in it.

Deleting the Download Queue and adding translations are the only things I really have left for 0.8.2. Baring a miracle, the Download Queue is gone tomorrow. In that case, I only need translations for the last four items in the .dtd file.

By the way, my RapidShare account shows 117 downloads of 0.8.1 and 45 of 0.8.0. I think that's pretty good, considering the only link to it is buried in a forum, for a project that's been dead for 2 years. I guess it shows the huge demand for DMT, and the shortcomings of the built in download manager.

I don't have write access to mozdev.org yet, but I do have emails from the admin implying it is on the way. My plan is to release 0.8.2 there and not here on the forum.
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
ygoe

Post by ygoe »

squashr1979 wrote:You missed that one. It shows up in the options popup in 0.8.1.

That was intentionally. I first need to take a look at the add-on itself to see in which context it appears. I won't have the time today, but probably tomorrow. I'm following this thread since FF3 is out and I'm excited for the new DMT version. :D
ygoe

Post by ygoe »

I have tried the latest DMT 0.8.1 download link I could find in this thread.

It installs in Firefox 3.0.5 de. (It does not install in Firefox 3.1b3pre en, nightly of today.) But the configuration dialogue is broken, it looks like you have written a % sign for an XUL entity instead of the usual & sign somewhere ("%downloadMgrDTD;"). I only get a big yellow XML error message in the window.

Apart from that I cannot see any different behaviour or appearance in the download window compared to plain FF 3.0. Does DMT need to be explicitly be enabled from inside its configuration window?
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

I have tried the latest DMT 0.8.1 download link I could find in this thread.

It installs in Firefox 3.0.5 de. (It does not install in Firefox 3.1b3pre en, nightly of today.) But the configuration dialogue is broken, it looks like you have written a % sign for an XUL entity instead of the usual & sign somewhere ("%downloadMgrDTD;"). I only get a big yellow XML error message in the window.

Apart from that I cannot see any different behaviour or appearance in the download window compared to plain FF 3.0. Does DMT need to be explicitly be enabled from inside its configuration window?

It works fine under English. The only difference for other languages is the .dtd file. My best guess is there is something wrong with your .dtd. Try putting the English .dtd in place of the German one and see if it works. It is supposed to use the % and not & in those places where it has %downloadMgrDTD. That message also says to me that the .dtd is the problem.

If something is wrong with the DMT files, then the appearance reverts back to the plain default download manager. We already know something is wrong and that's why it isn't changing. Nothing has to be enabled, the cause of the error has to be fixed.

It doesn't install in 3.1 because the install.rdf says it doesn't support 3.1. I planned to finish up my changes in 3.0 and then check it out on 3.1, once there is a release candidate build of 3.1. You can edit the install.rdf yourself, if you're desperate to try it on 3.1.
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
ygoe

Post by ygoe »

squashr1979 wrote:It works fine under English. The only difference for other languages is the .dtd file. My best guess is there is something wrong with your .dtd. Try putting the English .dtd in place of the German one and see if it works. It is supposed to use the % and not & in those places where it has %downloadMgrDTD. That message also says to me that the .dtd is the problem.

I have checked the German dtd file and its contents look a bit broken. The file encoding is ANSI (or ISO-8859-1) if not advertised otherwise (there's no BOM), but any non-ASCII letters are broken. "ü" is "C<" in the file, "Ö" is "C6" and "C". Maybe that's the problem? I have attached a corrected version here. - Hm, no uploads here? I thought that phpBB could finally do it in version 3...

Well try this:
http://unclassified.de/tmp/DMT-0.8.1.20090206.xpi

There's also another problem with it: When a download URL is too long to fit in the window width, the entire contents is expanded to the outside of the window and cropped. See here: http://unclassified.de/tmp/DMT-screenshot1.png

Then, I was wondering where all the additional buttons and info were gone in this DMT? The download manager window still looks very much the same as in FF3's original download manager. Wasn't one of the differences in DMT that it changed that to better use the additional window width in a tab with additional columns with filenames, URLs and buttons? Right now, I don't see any advantage in DMT over Custom Download Manager. :|
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

The .dtd files have to be in UTF-8. I had to escape the special characters (ü becomes &#252;) or it wouldn't work for me. Probably because I have the English only US version of Firefox. I assume it must have changed and all the languages which use special characters are now wrong. Try the following for de-DE (it seemed to work for me, but I don't know any German). If it doesn't work then I'll just use what you gave me.

< link to German downloadmgr.dtd that no longer exists (See next post for why) >

The problem with your screen shot is something I had already fixed in 0.8.2.

Then, I was wondering where all the additional buttons and info were gone in this DMT? The download manager window still looks very much the same as in FF3's original download manager. Wasn't one of the differences in DMT that it changed that to better use the additional window width in a tab with additional columns with filenames, URLs and buttons? Right now, I don't see any advantage in DMT over Custom Download Manager.

There are some changes, like the bold filenames. In 0.8.2 the larger more colorful buttons are back. The full path filename and URL are in the infoBar at the top of your screenshot. Putting those items in the list for tabs was probably the biggest thing that broke in Firefox 3.0. There was lot of black magic, that I don't understand, to make that happen. Adding the infoBar was a lot easier than fixing the tab view. It also means the sidebar and window views get the extra info and not just the tab view.

I either haven't seen Custom Download Manager or didn't like it. I don't remember which. I'll try it sometime and maybe I can drop all this work I'm doing. :twisted:
Last edited by squashr1979 on February 7th, 2009, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

I did some researching into the .dtd files, trying each one and seeing if it worked. It turns out that some are coded as ASCII with escapes (ie &#252;), some are properly coded UTF-8, and some are just plain messed up (ca-AD, de-DE, hu-HU,and pl-PL). The files coded as ASCII with escapes or UTF_8 all work fine, while the messed up ones do not (obviously). The messed up ones are all properly encoded UTF-8 in 0.7.2. I must be the one who screwed them up :oops: .

I found out that you have to be careful about cut and paste and extracting files from .xpi. My first attempt at getting the good files from 0.7.0 recreated the corruption found in 0.7.2. After my second attempt, I have now good UTF-8 versions of all four of the corrupted languages. You can forget the ASCII with escapes version of the German .dtd I posted above. The one LonelyPixel sent is perfectly fine (except for the two entities still in English). All the languages are working in 0.8.2, except for the parts still in English.

I did give Custom Download Manager a two minute try. It is very simple, with fewer features than DMT, but it does let you open the list in a tab. While I'm not going to stop using DMT, now that I've got it working, I probably would have switched to Custom Download Manager and not done all this work if I had known about it a month ago.
Last edited by squashr1979 on February 8th, 2009, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
gxg

Post by gxg »

The following are new in 0.8.1 and none of them have translations yet:

I guess this would be an acceptable translation to the first item: "Infoleiste neben der Symbolleiste anzeigen". The other 2 were already translated by someone in the forum: "Delete File" > "Datei löschen" and "Deletes downloaded file from the system" > "Löscht die herunterladene Datei von dem Computer".
Jive51

Post by Jive51 »

Daggerworld

Post by Daggerworld »

DMT v0.91 is totally crashing my firefox(on Win7) now that I updated to 3.6. It was working great in 3.5.x. I disabled DMT for now and I'll wait for an update.
Jive51

Post by Jive51 »

I have absolutely NO problem with this version (0.91), thus my version of FireFox is 3.5.7
Win7 is THE faultiness author of YOUR problem.
Sorry !
But... I see that FireFox 3.6 is available... I have to install it... Maybe I'll have the same disappointment ???

Hmmm... For now, some of my addons won't work anymore if I install the 3.6
So : I'll wait a little bit, and you should have done the same thing, I guess...
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Daggerworld wrote:DMT v0.91 is totally crashing my firefox(on Win7) now that I updated to 3.6. It was working great in 3.5.x. I disabled DMT for now and I'll wait for an update.

Strange. v0.9.1 is running like a champ in Ubuntu, Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit here. No issues at all since upgrading my computers to Firefox 3.6
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials
qwertz

Post by qwertz »

2 annoying bugs:
1. If all Firefox windows are closed and Download Manager is the only one left, after finishing ALL downloads DM windows does not close and ignores "Close it when all downloads are finished" option. When using Firefox without DM Tweaker no FF windows are left open when downloads are finished.

2. If I'm using any fixed download directory DM Tweaker creates blank "Downloads" dir in pathwhen I enter/exit or change options for Downloads. If I do not touch options/downloads menu that "downloads" dir is not created. I assume it's because I'm using XP SP3 and "Downloads" dir is not there already by default like on Win7 so author did not notice it's creation but I may be wrong...

Regards

P.S. Can you consider option for making download list not sort automatically when I cancel some downloads, it is very problematic FireFox "feature" for me, I usually click on cancel and then delete immediately but if click cancel list sorts automatically and second click usually lands on completely another file! ](*,)
sfeldner

Post by sfeldner »

Hello, I would like to make a small feature request for DMT. Is this the forum in which to post such requests (or bugs)?