Download Manager Tweak (now, and the future)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Jive51

Re: Download Manager Tweak (now, and the future)

Post by Jive51 »

"it is necessary to submit this extension to addons.mozilla.org, to put it on a site of confidence and to offer it more of visibility."

Comment written by "Flore", administrator of GeckoZone, here: http://www.geckozone.org/forum/viewtopi ... 843#498843
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

Jive51 wrote:"it is necessary to submit this extension to addons.mozilla.org, to put it on a site of confidence and to offer it more of visibility."

I can't disagree that it needs to go somewhere better, but I wanted it to work before it got wider distribution. Ideally I would get access to update the existing pages and not have to create a new one. Does someone know how to contact the original author and make that happen?
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
Jive51

Post by Jive51 »

I already host your files since you are working on this extension.
But I explained to Flore, the administrator of GeckoZone, exactly what you explained yourself.

Download Tweak Manager 0.8.1

Code: Select all

Extension for FireFox 3.x,  modded by squashr1979, updating and improving the original stopped development made by andman42 / Modded by Dom93 (dom993 AT gmail dot com)
daTerminehtor

Post by daTerminehtor »

Works like a charm! Well ****in' done! Works in a tab (which is my preference) just fine. 0.8.1 here.

*cough* feel like giving Menu Editor a go? :P
Jive51

Post by Jive51 »

I think that you are ready to submit this extension to addons.mozilla.org !!!
Nothing will prevent you to make updates after, as many as you want. And, since FireFox is warning us that an update for an addon is ready, it would be more easy and simple for the actual users, and for the other ones also.

Time for you to go there, man !!
James

Post by James »

If the original author is fine with it and given credit, then I suppose you can.
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

I have requested write access to http://dmextension.mozdev.org/ from the developer. If he replies and grants that then I'll take the next step to http://addons.mozilla.org/.

In the mean time, I've been cleaning up some things and working toward 0.8.2. I have a question about the "Download Queue" feature. Does anybody use it and why? I imagine it was added for a good reason. You don't write several hundred lines of javascript for no reason :-k . I would like to know what that reason was, and if it is worth the effort to maintain it. It was first added in 0.7.0, just before DMT was abandoned, and probably never fully debugged. The release notes still describe it as "experimental". I made no attempt to fix this in my changes for FF 3.0. It seems to work from what I can tell, but with the number of changes from 2.0 to 3.0 I can't be sure.

What Download Queue adds: If you right click on a link that includes "Save Link As..." in the popup menu, it will also have "Add Link to Download Queue ...". If you select that, then it adds it to an internal DMT queue, before starting the download. The only advantage I can see is it allows you to put a large number of downloads on the list, but only have a small number actually download at a time. The rest wait their turn and start downloading when a previous item finishes. The number actually downloading at a time is settable in the options.

It sounds more like a bug trap than a useful feature :) . I'm going to remove it unless a good reason is provided to keep it. That reason would likely have to include a commitment to thoroughly test and fix this feature.
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
Jive51

Post by Jive51 »

personally, I don't use it, and I don't think that it can be useful... for ME.
But I'm pretty sure that it can be useful for others.
I guess that it would be better to maintain it.
On the other side, if an option is used by a very rare number of users, it's not to be maintained.
My idea: what about a poll about it?
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

I got a reply from Emmet (the developer that upgraded DMT to FF 2.0) and he sent in the request to the administrator for me to become a developer on http://dmextension.mozdev.org/. Eventually they'll process the request and then I'll get to update the homepage.

My current thinking on Download Queue is that it was the beginning of a larger plan. Currently you have to go out of your way to specifically add downloads to the queue. I think he planned to find a way for all downloads to go to the queue. I noticed some commented code where he was changing the tab name and icon depending on the contents of the queue. The tab name was going to be the average percent of all the downloads, but FF 3.0 already does that. Maybe in FF 1.0, when he added it, it would have been more useful.

My philosophy on DMT is to put the emphasis on the Tweak part. The built in FF 3.0 download manager is a lot better than it used to be and only needs a few GUI tweaks to make it great. I'm not interested in creating Download Manager Rewrite. I want a small, simple, easy to maintain DMT. I may have to stop supporting it myself someday (hopefully years from now) and I want it to be as easy for others to pick up as possible.
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

DMT has support for 12 languages besides English, but the newer features don't have translations. I have English under control :wink:, but don't know any others and they all need work. To help out:
1) Rename the 0.8.1 .xpi to .zip (don't use an older version, even 0.8.0 is too old)
2) Extract the .dtd file for your language (the English one is:
chrome\downloadmgr\locale\en-US\downloadmgr\downloadmgr.dtd)
3) Translate any quoted English into your language.
4) Put the changed .dtd back into the .zip
5) Rename the .zip back to .xpi
6) Install it in Firefox (I just drag the file onto the browser), restart and test it out.
7) Send your changes to me or post them here.
RNiK

Post by RNiK »

squashr1979 wrote:DMT has support for 12 languages besides English, but the newer features don't have translations. I have English under control :wink:, but don't know any others and they all need work. To help out:
1) Rename the 0.8.1 .xpi to .zip (don't use an older version, even 0.8.0 is too old)
6) Install it in Firefox (I just drag the file onto the browser), restart and test it out.

I suggest you to take a look at BabelZilla for this kind of request. :wink:
MondoWin ==> Italian site for information about MS Windows tweaking
Jive51

Post by Jive51 »

RNiK wrote:I suggest you to take a look at BabelZilla for this kind of request. :wink:
A human must do it, otherwise you may have terrific translations, without any possibility to know it.
I'll take a look at the French translation.

Ok, I done it : I'll be back with the file to download here.
Jive51

Post by Jive51 »

French version updated
Here is it
gxg

Post by gxg »

squashr1979 wrote:DMT has support for 12 languages besides English, but the newer features don't have translations. I have English under control :wink:, but don't know any others and they all need work. To help out:

I could help with a German and a Romanian translation, when I find the time...
Don't know if the extension had a Romanian locale before...
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

I could help with a German and a Romanian translation, when I find the time...
Don't know if the extension had a Romanian locale before...

A previous post in this thread provided the following German translations:
<!ENTITY queueLinkCmd.label "Zur Download Warteschlange hinzufügen...">
<!ENTITY queueLinkCmd.accesskey "W">
<!ENTITY pref.queue.label "Download Warteschlange">
<!ENTITY pref.maxConcurrentDownloads "Höchste Anzahl an gleichzeitigen Downloads der Warteschlange:">
<!ENTITY pending.label "Warte...">

There are some new fields in the 0.8.1 .dtd, so I still need more German help for those. You won't be able to see some of them yet, because they are for the file delete feature I am adding to 0.8.2.

Most of the .dtd files still have English for:
<!ENTITY queueLinkCmd.label "Add Link to Download Queue...">
<!ENTITY queueLinkCmd.accesskey "Q">
<!ENTITY pref.queue.label "Download Queue">
<!ENTITY pref.maxConcurrentDownloads "Maximum number of active queued downloads:">
<!ENTITY pending.label "Waiting...">

Those are for the Download Queue feature I am thinking of removing. The following are new in 0.8.1 and none of them have translations yet:
<!ENTITY pref.showInfoBar "Show the infobar, attached to the toolbar.">
<!ENTITY cmd.deleteFile.label "Delete File">
<!ENTITY cmd.deleteFile.accesskey "D">
<!ENTITY cmd.deleteFile.tooltip "Deletes downloaded file from the system">

Apparently I can add translations for the description in the add-ons window.
English (en-US):
A modification of the Firefox download manager that changes its appearance and allows it to be opened in a separate window, a new tab, or the sidebar.
German (de-DE):
Eine Erweiterung des Firefox Download Managers, die dessen Aussehen verändert und es ermöglicht diesen in einem separaten Fenster, einem neuen Tab oder dem Sidebar zu öffnen.