[Theme] Red Cats (green flavor) 5.6.3 [2014-03-01]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
M()zart

Re: [Theme] Red Cats (green flavor) 5.6.2 [2013-10-17]

Post by M()zart »

Again waiting for the new version, that will be compatible with Firefox 27...
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Good for you. Have you even bothered to read the last page?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
M()zart

Post by M()zart »

Of course I have read it. So, you mean that talk about ESR is the official position of the author of this theme? I thought it was just some complaining.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Sigh.

If you want to use a theme that is not actively maintained, then you should take the initiative to go ahead and change the compatibility settings. The only reason it didn't "work" the last time you asked was because of the compatibility setting. Or you could have switched to the ESR channel which would still be on version 24 and there would be no issue.

However, when Firefox 29 is released with the Australis interface, no extant themes will work at all without serious modifications.
Switching to the ESR channel will buy you a few more months and still keep you up-to-date with security.

So no, it wasn't "just some complaining" but one of several perfectly legitimate solutions posted that don't even require very much work on your part.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
DodiG

Post by DodiG »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Sigh.

If you want to use a theme that is not actively maintained, then you should take the initiative to go ahead and change the compatibility settings. The only reason it didn't "work" the last time you asked was because of the compatibility setting. Or you could have switched to the ESR channel which would still be on version 24 and there would be no issue.

However, when Firefox 29 is released with the Australis interface, no extant themes will work at all without serious modifications.
Switching to the ESR channel will buy you a few more months and still keep you up-to-date with security.

So no, it wasn't "just some complaining" but one of several perfectly legitimate solutions posted that don't even require very much work on your part.

Thank-you Patrick for the very clear explanation and instructions of what Firefox users have to look forward to with Firefox 29 and how to keep our beloved cats working and our browsers updated and safe for a few months after the version becomes live.

I guess we can only hope that
Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat also knows that a major change is coming and has the time to make our cats compatible with version 29 after the details are available to him.

I think a lot of theme and add_on developers for Firefox will stop making addons for firefox with this major change.

Maybe it is time to look for another browser... I'll have to wait and see what happens when this major event takes place. :-"
LIMPET235

Re: [Theme] Red Cats (green flavor) 5.6.3 [2014-03-01]

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi "Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat",
Any news on the update for the dreaded Australis yet?
Pretty please.
:)
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat

Post by Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat »

Hi Limpet,

Already working on updating the theme for Australis [cue many expletives] but I'm afraid this time it's going to be quite a wait - the changes are more drastic than I feared they would be.

But there is good - no, half-good news: an alpha version of Red Cats (green flavor) is already available. It usable, more or less, but expect missing images and broken/garbled areas. Shouldn't be too many, though. Again, it's alpha! You have been warned. It won't go public of course but if anyone decides to give it a try, do contact me by email.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well. -- Missy Dizick

My Firefox themes: Red Cats (blue & green flavor), Curacao
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi R_F_L_C,
Thanks for the updated info.

I might wait a while until you fix all the bugs the (many expletives) latest version, have caused in so many ways.

& I really wouldn't want to see my cats in any way....missing/distorted etc.

Regards, L..
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
rdbowers

Post by rdbowers »

How is the "Australis" version coming along? I'd been hacking the compatibility on one of the old versions of cats (green), but this new POC version of Firefox... as you know they don't play together very well.

The new Firefox is hideous and buggy as hell... and trying to get help for the bugs (like the bookmarks toolbar not displaying websites across the top like it should) is an exercise in putting up with snot-nosed know-it-all kids (who probably wouldn't know what a card punch or teletype is, much less ever used one or programmed computers that way) who get really insulting. In fact, I've given up on going to the Mozilla website in trying to fix the problems I've encountered and am living with it, even though the problems are very irritating. Your Cats will fix some of my complaints.

I'm looking forward to Cats returning... this pure white background on the toolbars (and most pages) is really hard on my eyes, and I miss my "cats".
Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat

Post by Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat »

This thread is closed. Use the new combined support thread to discuss both flavors of Red Cats and get the development builds for Firefox 29.

@Mods: Please lock the thread.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well. -- Missy Dizick

My Firefox themes: Red Cats (blue & green flavor), Curacao
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Locked.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."