[Ext] IE Tab 1.5

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
rseiler

Re: [Ext] IE Tab 1.5

Post by rseiler »

I'm assuming this page reflects all of what was checked in during the period:
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/p ... 0+days+ago

Not that I know what I'm looking at, but if June 25th (my birthday) is when it all started to go wrong, then this one looks most suspicious to me. While a plugin is not an extension, the word "extension" is used numerous times in the details.

josh@mozilla.com
Thu Jun 25 14:07:24 2009 -0700

f5f2c8fe6387 (http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/f5f2c8fe6387)

Josh Aas — Remove nsIPluginManager/nsIPluginManager2. Fold their functionality into nsIPluginHost. b=499431 r/sr=jst

Update: I guess it's both. From the IETab site:

The IE Tab project is created from two parts: The XUL extension and the XPCOM plugin.
The extension part is a XUL+Javascript project, and the plugin part is a VC++/MFC XPCOM project.

And since the June 25th details says "Originally published XPCOM Plugin API is now deprecated, developers are welcome to use NPAPI," I'm thinking that's the reason.

Calling all NPAPI experts.
Last edited by rseiler on February 13th, 2010, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brother.gabriel

Post by brother.gabriel »

Just a note here to let you know y'all are not alone. I am still using 3.5.6 portable version, so I don't have a problem with my IEtab in that regard. But I am grateful for your looking to solve the problem for 3.6. I use this addon all the time with sharepoint. I tried Coral, but had too many problems switching back and forth between engines so I gave it up for old IEtab. One problem I do have is that sometimes when I close Firefox it crashes saying it cannot reference memory stored in a certain location. I think it is related to IEtab because it doesn't happen if I don't switch rendering engines. But, I didn't post here to complain - I just want to encourage you in your pursuit.
Pubrulz

Cannot install

Post by Pubrulz »

Each time I attempt to install, I get a message saying: "IE Tab 1.5.20081203 could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox 3.6." I have tried manually downloading the xmi file, and get the same message. I'm using the current Firefox version, "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6".
Hvander

Post by Hvander »

please, update for firefox 3.6 Really love this extension. Some sites just will only work with ie but I don't want to launch the full blown ie.
FloVial

Post by FloVial »

Could you please provide me a version to be downloaded on to a MacOS environment ? I want to use Firefox on this environment with this extension. Is it possible ?
Thanks a lot in advance.
Best wishes,
Florence
rhogskin

Post by rhogskin »

I agree. Please update for Firefox 3.6. This is a must-have add-on.
FloVial

Post by FloVial »

Thanks a lot ... but sorry, I do not understand your answer. I don't work on windows : I use MacOS. So is it possible to download the add-on on a MacOS environment ? Kind regards.
sut

Post by sut »

FloVial, you are in the wrong topic:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=861555
paddytb

Post by paddytb »

rseiler wrote:
The IE Tab project is created from two parts: The XUL extension and the XPCOM plugin.
The extension part is a XUL+Javascript project, and the plugin part is a VC++/MFC XPCOM project.

And since the June 25th details says "Originally published XPCOM Plugin API is now deprecated, developers are welcome to use NPAPI," I'm thinking that's the reason.

Calling all NPAPI experts.

rseiler has hit the nail on the head - Firefox3.6 dropped support for XPCOM (see http://colonelpanic.net/2010/01/firefox-3-6-has-removed-support-for-xpcom-plugins/ et al), so the plugin and extension need re-writing to use NPAPI. Maybe its not possible to do it as effectively using NPAPI (Coral IE Tab doesn't manage it too well)?
jimerman

Post by jimerman »

So, FireFox just updated to 3.6, and guess what? The single most important add-on, IE Tab, doesn't work. When will you get an update?
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

jimerman wrote:So, FireFox just updated to 3.6, and guess what? The single most important add-on, IE Tab, doesn't work. When will you get an update?

I think it's gonna be a long long time.
ginaemory

Post by ginaemory »

jimerman wrote:So, FireFox just updated to 3.6, and guess what? The single most important add-on, IE Tab, doesn't work. When will you get an update?

Why is that? I will not upgrade to 3.6 if it means losing IE Tab.
Tiglet

Post by Tiglet »

nice
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

ginaemory wrote:

Why is that? I will not upgrade to 3.6 if it means losing IE Tab.

Check out my post on this page and then another one confirming it: the foundation on which this extension relied was ripped out last year. It sounds to me like it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.
brother.gabriel

Post by brother.gabriel »

Oh! How sad! I suppose I will put off upgrading my Firefox 3.5.6 for awhile. I tried Coral but it has problems...