[Ext]Session Manager 0.6.1.13 for FF 2.0+ [Mar 10, 2008]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Morac

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.6.1.13 for FF 2.0+ [Mar 10, 2008]

Post by Morac »

Vano wrote:When holding CTRL and pressing right mouse button at closed tabs list it deletes the item from the list (as it should), but it also shows "delete item" menu and while this menu showing and you press one more time right button (CTRL still pressed) it will close the whole dropdown menu and show right click menu as if it was clicked on a site.

Strange, when I just tried this it deletes the item, but doesn't show the menu.

Are you using Mac OS X? If so I think I might know what's wrong since a "right click" is simulated by holding down CTRL and left clicking. This is bad since that means on a Mac, any "right click" will automatically be a CTRL right click. I'm not sure how to handle this exactly. I might change the CTRL right click to CTRL+SHIFT right click. Can anyone who uses a MAC test this and tell me what happens when they CTRL left click an item in either the session or undo menus?

Actually the whole mixing of menuitems and context menus seems awkward since there doesn't seem to be any way to bring up the context menu by using the keyboard. Trying to use the Context Menu button brings up the main windows context menu. I'm also finding discrepancies on how Firefox 2 and Firefox 3 handle context menus. In Firefox 2, the Session Manager menus will stick around after choosing an entry in the context menu, while in Firefox 3, the menus will go away regardless if an item is chosen in the context menu or not. I think I might need to rethink a few things about this.
Vano

Post by Vano »

No, I'm using Win XP, and I think its because of "Unhide Menubar" extension...not a bug, sorry for confusion.

As of CTRL thingie...IMHO most common approach is to use middle mouse button, without any CTRL..
Morac

Post by Morac »

I gave up trying to consolidate the way the context menus work in FF2 and FF3 or trying to prevent the menu from closing when the context menu is closed. I managed to work around the later, but it caused all kinds of other problems (such as not being able to ever close the menu) so I just left it the way it is.

I think I fixed the issue with the context menu showing up when doing a CTRL + right click so at least that should be okay.

While I was modifying stuff I found a bunch of stuff related to the menus and toolbar buttons that appeared to be unncessary so I removed them. If anyone has any problems with the menus or toolbar buttons (such as them closing on their own or doing other weird things) please tell me.

Updated development version at:
http://downloads.mozdev.org/sessionmana ... er_dev.xpi
Morac

Post by Morac »

http://downloads.mozdev.org/sessionmana ... er_dev.xpi

I made a few more changes to my development version based on some feedback from a few of the translators:

1. There is no longer a "None" entry listed under the "Select Session" menu since the "None" radio button made the menu item redundant.
  2. I made it so that if the user selects to load the "Previous Browsing Session" at startup, that Session Manager will always do so.
  3. A few display errors were fixed.
  4. Session Manager now works in Firefox 2.0.x again (I broke it recently).
  5. Work around for Firefox bug 374288 - Button tooltips were showing on all menu items in toolbar button menus.

Regarding #2: In my prior release, if the user set it to load the "Previous Browsing Session", but also chose to "Discard the current session", then Session Manager wouldn't load the previous session since it was never saved. I wasn't sure exactly what to do in this case since basically the user is saying "don't save my session, but restore it next time I run" which really doesn't make any sense. So I split the difference in that the session will be backed up, but then deleted right after it's restored. This also occurs when the user sets the browser to prompt and shutdown and startup and choose to "not preserve" the session at shutdown, but to load the "previous browsing session" at startup.

On a side not, the "preserve for resuming" text is somewhat misleading because it basically creates a backup and resuming is optional, but I'm not going to bother changing it at this point.
makondo

Post by makondo »

THANK YOU!! Got rid of those two sessions i never had use for (last and its backup)!!
Morac

Post by Morac »

makondo wrote:THANK YOU!! Got rid of those two sessions i never had use for (last and its backup)!!

Technically you never needed either of them before since Session Manager didn't use the "last" session until this development version and it never used (or uses) the "older" sessions.
makondo

Post by makondo »

You probably forgot but i had to do this (page 57) and since didn't have the problem i was having back then even though i had to put up with those two sessions in my menu.
In any case, it's all right now, thank you!
schwenkl

Post by schwenkl »

Is this thread still active?

How do I restore a session found in the "Open Sessions Folder"? I found a backup that is the one I need because I clicked quit accidentally when shutting down so session was not saved. One found in Session folder does not show up in Session restore area at startup or in drop down menus.

This is the files, "backup-3.session"

Thanks
Morac

Post by Morac »

If it's in the sessions folder it should show up in the list, unless the session is corrupted. But in that case the file gets renamed with a session-bad extension.

The name of the session in the sessions list won't be "backup-3". To find the name, you'll need to open the backup-3.session file in a text editor and look at the string following "name=" on the second line.
schwenkl

Post by schwenkl »

Thanks.
The Alchemist

Post by The Alchemist »

I have been using Session Saver for years now. Please pardon my ignorance, but I am not sure if Session Manager is the continuation of that or not, but with the FF3 upgrade we made, we had to move to SM. Of course (otherwise I would not be asking for help) it is not behaving as expected.

Briefly, FF3 as I said, XP. A few add-ons but none that I saw actual conflicts with (ColorfulTabs, Duplicate Tab, Tab Saver, and Tabs Menu - No Firebug (yet)). The problem is that regardless of the Option settings I use, only one window will autosave (and apparently a random one, although I suspect there is a pattern), and manually saving a session only part of the time saves multiple windows. I saw a brief comment something to the effect that there was little use in the autosave portion of the feature. Well, I echo a responder. It is THE feature of SM I use and depend upon. The ability to close my browser, save my session automatically, with multiple windows (for multiple users) and not worry about it.

Great add-on Morac - I really want to use it. Any suggestions what I have going on?

Thanks in advance.
Morac

Post by Morac »

Alchemist,

First off, Session Saver and Session Manager are not in any way related, other than they can both save and restore sessions. My upcoming version of Session Manager will allow importing of Session Saver sessions though.

As for your problem, if I understand it correctly, you are saying that only one window is saved when you use the autosave feature or when you manually save a session. I have no idea why the later would occur (unless you selected to save on only the window), but the prior can occur if you have an open auto-save session and don't close Firefox correctly. The correct way to close Firefox in this case is to use the File->Exit menu item in Firefox. If you close each window manually then only the last closed window will be saved.

You can test auto-save sessions, by opening (or creating) one, then opening a bunch of windows and then "closing" the auto-save session. The session listed in the menu should indicate the same number of windows and tabs open that were open at the time the auto-save session was closed.

If not, there is some other issue occurring. The first thing I would try at that point is to download my latest development version at http://downloads.mozdev.org/sessionmana ... er_dev.xpi and see if you can reproduce the problem. That version contains a number of fixes so it might fix your problem as well.

As for my development version, a little over half of the translators have finished doing the translating. The others haven't even started
The Alchemist

Post by The Alchemist »

Closing as you suggested seems to have done the trick (or maybe the new download). I find it odd that closing multiple windows at once (ctrl click, ctrl click, ctrl click, etc) via the upper right close button does not work. Worst case it should be treated as a crash and be recoverable by autosave, but it isn't.

Thanks. I can modify my behavior to close via the File menu.
Morac

Post by Morac »

The Alchemist wrote:Closing as you suggested seems to have done the trick (or maybe the new download). I find it odd that closing multiple windows at once (ctrl click, ctrl click, ctrl click, etc) via the upper right close button does not work. Worst case it should be treated as a crash and be recoverable by autosave, but it isn't.

Mainly because clicking the "X" is considered closing the window, not exiting Firefox. Firefox's built-in session restoration behaves the same way. Session Manager does save the closed windows by default in the undo list, but does not restore them.
Morac

Post by Morac »

Since this thread is 61 pages long and I just released a new version, I've created a new thread. Please continue all discussions in that thread.