[Ext]Session Manager 0.6.1.13 for FF 2.0+ [Mar 10, 2008]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
bumble_bee

Post by bumble_bee »

Hi, thanks for updating Session Manager for FF 2. I have a feature request:

When restoring a session, only restore the session cookies for sites that are allowed in FF's exception list, and drop the others.

I posted about this here also, please see the posts there for the rationale.

I'm not sure how implementing this would work w.r.t. having multiple stored sessions, perhaps Session Manager could check the execption list before storing a session? Would that also work with crash recovery? (I'm not sure to what extent FF2's session restore is customizable).
Kyo

Morac

Post by Kyo »

Yes something strange happened.What happened is I opened my mozilla and restored my sessions.But since my internet was down, all pages were problem loading page. I restarted my pc and opened mozilla again and clicked on restore session again and all it gave me was the mozilla home page(which is the default page). Any way to fix this?I really need those pages back.:(
I can be approached, but never pushed; befriended but never coerced; killed but never shamed
mickat24

multiple windows

Post by mickat24 »

If I've got two or more windows with tabs open, and then I close down Firefox, why is it that when I restart Firefox only one of the sessions will be restarted? The old version used to open as many windows as had last been opened. I am afraid that if my system crashes, only one open session will have been saved.
Morac

Post by Morac »

bumble_bee: I responded in the thread you linked to.

Kyo: Restore an older browsing session. By default Session Manager stores 1 older browsing session.

mickat24: How are you trying to do this? I just told Firefox to restore my windows and tabs from the last session and then opened a few windows and then chose File->Exit. When I restarted all the windows and tabs loaded up fine. Session Manager can definitely open sessions with multiple windows. Make sure you aren't trying to quit Firefox by manually closing all the windows as doing so will only save the last window closed.
Kyo

Morac

Post by Kyo »

How do I restore the older session?There is nothing under tools-seesion manager:( Is there somewhere else I can go to recover the old session?
I can be approached, but never pushed; befriended but never coerced; killed but never shamed
Morac

Post by Morac »

Tools -> Session Manager -> 2) Older Browsing Session.
Kyo

Post by Kyo »

I already mentioned that there is nothing under tools-session manager-older browsing:( ANy other way?
Morac

Post by Morac »

Nope sorry. If there's nothing there the session is gone. You might be able to get it back if you have Norton Utility's Norton Protected Recycle Bin installed, but barring that there's no way to get it back.

You might want to increase the number of session backups in the options menu to a larger number to keep this from happening in the future.
mickat24

Post by mickat24 »

mickat24: How are you trying to do this? I just told Firefox to restore my windows and tabs from the last session and then opened a few windows and then chose File->Exit. When I restarted all the windows and tabs loaded up fine. Session Manager can definitely open sessions with multiple windows. Make sure you aren't trying to quit Firefox by manually closing all the windows as doing so will only save the last window closed.

You are right; that's how I was doing it (manually, I mean). I realized afterwards that that's what it was. I think where the real problem lies is when I click "restart firefox" - then, only one of the open windows, the one I had been using at the time, opens again. Also, I tried it your way: I clicked File -> Exit, and then it prompted me with the usual "close all tabs?" for the several windows, but when I started Firefeox up again, only the last one opened.

However. When I actually went and manually clicked "save session", and then clicked on the name of that session when Firefox restarted, all the windows opened up properly. But not automatically. So my real worry is that all the open windows will not be automatically saved unless I manually tell it to save the session; if Firefox then crashes, I'll lose any windows other than the one that was currently open.
Morac

Post by Morac »

I haven't seen that issue. You can test it yourself if your worried by opening a bunch of windows and then opening the task list and killing the firefox.exe process. This will make firefox think it crashed the next time you start it and if you choose to restore the current session it should restore all the windows. It does so when I tried it.
Morac

Post by Morac »

Since it seems to be working fine, I pushed out the development version as 0.5.3.

On a side note. Starting this Tuesday I'll be out of contact for 2 weeks. Just letting you know that if you post questions/bugs during that period I won't be able to get back to you until February 3rd at the earliest.
ajhubble

Post by ajhubble »

Hmmm, I'm not sure what the problem is. Just tried out this extension - and it detects TabMixPlus properly and asks to disable its tab saving/restoring. The first time on loading up Firefox after the Session Manager extension is installed, the tabs restore ok (I assume that this is because TabMixPlus restored the session before Session Manager turns it off).

But on subsequent restarts, Session Manager doesn't restore the session despite the option to restore the previous session being checked. It doesn't even prompt to restore any session on restart if that option is checked. But it does save sessions ok and I can restore sessions manually from the menu. The ability to automatically save a multiple number of previous sessions was what interested me about this extension (and which TabMixPlus doesn't have). But I'm not sure why it doesn't restore sessions on startup despite "Previous Browsing Session" checked. In TabMixPlus, the "Use Built-in Session Restore feature" and "Enable Crash Recovery" (with menu item "Show my windows and tabs from last time") options are checked.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Edit: this is with Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Session Manager 5.3.1.
ajhubble

Post by ajhubble »

I've just disabled all extensions and SessionStore doesn't restore any sessions after restart. There must be something wrong with my FF profile or something. Going to about:config still shows SessionStore being enabled. Since the built-in SessionStore feature seems to be hosed, I'll just go back to TabMixPlus unless someone has an idea of what could be going wrong.
beej

Post by beej »

Morac: i just decided to reboot my mac for the first time in a long time. after reboot, when i started up firefox 2.0.0.1, i was told that session manager 0.5.3.1 was available which is newer than the 0.5.2 i had installed. i chose to let it update it and it did so successfully. when firefox restarted, i just got my home page. i had to restore my (thankfully) manually saved session to get my state back.

known issue?

marc

ps: thanks SO much for your work on this extension. i don't know how i'd live without it!
Morac

Post by Morac »

I'm back.

ajhubble: Try disabling all extensions and then setting up the "When Firefox Starts" option in the Main Firefox option tab to "Show my Windows and Tabs from last time". This will use the SessionStore component to restore your last session automatically when you close and reopen your browser. If this doesn't work, then something is wrong either with your Firefox install or your profile. If it does work then it should work with Session Manager since SM just tells Firefox to handle this specific case.

beej: I'm not aware of any issue with the current session not being restored restarting after upgrading Session Manager. Then again I don't test that all that often, but I'm pretty sure it worked when I last tried it. Did you use the update notification built in to Firefox 2 (informs you when starting up Firefox)? I'm not positive, but I think when doing that Firefox actually restarts again after it installs. Firefox might be getting confused and thought that you closed the browser with a blank tab. I use the Update Notifier extension which installs after Firefox has loaded so I don't know if that's why I haven't seen this or not.