[Ext] Download Manager Tweak extension

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
flfenn

Post by flfenn »

NOW, as for my question, since I see this as the purpose of this particular forum . . .

How do I apply the installer for the new download manager, or has a dev been breathing down the back of that genious creator?
maharishi

Post by maharishi »

save it on my harddisk,now how to i install the extension?
andman42

Post by andman42 »

A new version is available.

You can download it here: <a href="http://fire.prohosting.com/andman42/downloadmgr.html">http://fire.prohosting.com/andman42/downloadmgr.html</a>

I made a few tweaks to make it cleaner. Most notably, the download name, progress bar, and status text are now on three separate lines.

I am satisfied with how it looks, so now I'll start working on adding options and such. I am in the progress of adding preferences to change where the download manager opens (new window, sidebar, or tab). I'll probably also add an option to allow the download toolbar to appear on the top or bottom of the window. I'll add other features as time permits.

Thanks.
andman42

Post by andman42 »

maharishi wrote:save it on my harddisk,now how to i install the extension?

Go to the download page <a href="http://fire.prohosting.com/andman42/downloadmgr.html">http://fire.prohosting.com/andman42/downloadmgr.html</a>.
I posted detailed instructions on how to install.
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

andman42 wrote:A new version is available.

You can download it here: <a href="http://fire.prohosting.com/andman42/downloadmgr.html">http://fire.prohosting.com/andman42/downloadmgr.html</a>

I made a few tweaks to make it cleaner. Most notably, the download name, progress bar, and status text are now on three separate lines.

I am satisfied with how it looks, so now I'll start working on adding options and such. I am in the progress of adding preferences to change where the download manager opens (new window, sidebar, or tab). I'll probably also add an option to allow the download toolbar to appear on the top or bottom of the window. I'll add other features as time permits.

Thanks.

Oooh, nice!

When you do add the option to open the DM in a new tab, do you also intend on fixing the sluggishness that appears when the XUL is opened in a tab? I've noticed sluggishness with the DM whenever the XUL is spawned in a tab instead of the standard pop-up window.

Other than that, this extension is GREAT!
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

andman42 wrote:I made a few tweaks to make it cleaner. Most notably, the download name, progress bar, and status text are now on three separate lines.

I am satisfied with how it looks

Indeed, the 3 lines works quite well and is only marginally taller then a 2 line option (since the fileicon is so large anyway).

I am in the progress of adding preferences to change where the download manager opens (new window, sidebar, or tab). I'll probably also add an option to allow the download toolbar to appear on the top or bottom of the window.

Those things sound greate :)
If/when you feel up to it, take a look at the Download Statusbar extensions options too, mainly the "remove finished files after [ ] seconds". I'm sure lot of people will like that :)

Btw, you might want to update the image on your page to reflect the changes with the progressbar :)
flfenn

Post by flfenn »

I especially like the option to launch applications when downloaded, something I missed when using IE. Thanks! I wonder when this extension will appear on the mozdev extension list for Firefox?
Parkotron

Post by Parkotron »

andman42 wrote:I am in the progress of adding preferences to change where the download manager opens (new window, sidebar, or tab). I'll probably also add an option to allow the download toolbar to appear on the top or bottom of the window.

If these preferences get implemented, this will definately be replacing my old download manager. I really dislike the seperate floating download window, so the option to open in a new tab or in the sidebar is a must.

Keep up the good work.
tater

Post by tater »

i downloaded this, and it is nice, but it shares the same problem with the built-in one, at least on OS X - once the download manager opens, you can't close the window. sometimes i'm done and i want it to go *away*. as They Might Be Giants almost kind of said, "I should be allowed to close my window, I should be allowed to think." :)

there's another thing that i'm sure is an ephemeral issue - since the current 0.8 build crashes whenever you try to install an extension, a weird side effect is that it leaves the failed extension files in the download manager - they can't be cleaned out, i guess because they didn't finish, and can't be canceled, again i guess because they're not active downloads?
"Everything can be sliced." - the nice lady at the coffee shop
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

Yours crashes every time? I've only ever experienced a crash when installing more than two or three extensions at a time.

And I've never experienced the other problem that you did either. In fact I actually like this DM better than the other one and I look forward to version 0.4!
tater

Post by tater »

oh, sorry, that was ambiguous. the DM is fine - *Firefox* crashes, the 0.8 build for OSX always has. (and since the nightly lost the DOM Inspector but doesn't crash, i have to do an interesting two-step - open the disk image of the nightly, run the nightly build directly from the disk image folder, install the extension, quit, "eject" the disk image, restart the regular 0.8 build, and voila. software is crazy.)
"Everything can be sliced." - the nice lady at the coffee shop
brianiac

Post by brianiac »

Great! Now, can you make it open in the sidebar?
Lost User 12174

Post by Lost User 12174 »

this new DM is awesome.
one thing i don't understand is how come the DMs dosen't have its own icon in the title/task bar?
it's be nice if it would use the same icon used in the CuteMenu extention.
:)
Elen

Post by Elen »

What brianiac said. Sidebar download manager would be awesome.. another request while I'm at it, is it possible to make ctrl-e both open and close the manager, hmmm.. and same feature for the downloads button too :)

In any case, awesome work.
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

andman42 is currently working on coding to allow the user to sleect whether the DM opens either in a popup window, a new tab or the sidebar. He hasn't given an ETA.