[Ext] Add Bookmark Here ²

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
James

Re: [Ext] Add Bookmark Here ²

Post by James »

alvineng501 wrote:I am currently using Firefox 54.0.1 64 bit and found that it is NOT compatible with the latest version of "Add Bookmark Here" version 55! I was then able to load an older version, 52, which has been working fine!
The version 55 of this Extension as was stated is for Firefox 55 and later and not the current 54.0.x Releases
notonymous

Post by notonymous »

xeonx wrote:Thanks, yuoo2k, for publishing my fix.
Also, it seems that Remove Bookmark/Cancel button is working with that release.
But, it looks like you cannot add an RSS feed with ABH2 enabled. The pop-up to select a folder is essentially blank and doesn't allow me to select a folder. If I disable ABH2 (and restart) then I am able to add new RSS feeds.

Currently on Beta Dev Edition 55.0b9 (buildID 20170713130619), Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0

using ABH2 55.0.20170705
randomgoti

Post by randomgoti »

alvineng501 wrote:I am currently using Firefox 54.0.1 64 bit and found that it is NOT compatible with the latest version of "Add Bookmark Here" version 55! I was then able to load an older version, 52, which has been working fine!
Go to about:config and add new boolean extensions.checkCompatibility.54.0.1 and set it to false
Restart ffx then install the addon

Pref can be used with any ffx version just change the version number extensions.checkCompatibility.VERSION
Get the version from about:support or about firefox from help menu (if user is potato)

OR if you use a user.js file inside your profile folder add those lines or the one for your firefox version and you can install incompatible addons (you can add for whatever version if you switch between versions and use the same profile folder)
user_pref("extensions.checkCompatibility.54.0.1", false);
user_pref("extensions.checkCompatibility.54.0", false);

No extra addon required
marty60

Post by marty60 »

This is not working at all with the latest nightly builds, at least for me. It's still seen and is enabled but none of the prefs are having any effect and "Add Bookmark Here" is gone from the menu.
randomgoti

Post by randomgoti »

marty60 wrote:This is not working at all with the latest nightly builds, at least for me. It's still seen and is enabled but none of the prefs are having any effect and "Add Bookmark Here" is gone from the menu.
Nightly users are like guinea pets for mozilla...the above prefs only stops firefox from automatically removing addons as it pleases and allows you to install "incompatible" marked addons it won't make the addon to magically work

I use ABH 55 on firefox 54.0.1 64 (release) and has no issues as far i am concerned...
marty60

Post by marty60 »

It's broken in 56.0 for me, ABH 55 was working initially. I'm resigned to the fact that few developers are showing much interest anymore and addons that break this late will probably stay that way. Can't blame them with the change coming.
avada

Post by avada »

marty60 wrote:It's broken in 56.0 for me, ABH 55 was working initially. I'm resigned to the fact that few developers are showing much interest anymore and addons that break this late will probably stay that way. Can't blame them with the change coming.
I noticed broken back forward history again with v55 too. Though only sporadically. Since this addon was at fault the first time, I assumed it is again and disabled it. Didn't get it again.
mancode20

Post by mancode20 »

It's not working for me either. Is there any possible way to get it to work with the latest Nightly 57 August 2nd version, or is this add-on just dead now until a miracle happens and we get a Web Extensions port? Let me know please. Thanks!
greatlord

Post by greatlord »

Thank you for making this add-on.

However I have a bug to report. When moving the bookmark button at all in Customize Menus the bookmark save path tool tip does not show up until after a restart. Normally this would be fine but this also happens when you use the old Star button option in CTR. It will completely break with both CTR and any theme enabled.

I am on Firefox 55.0 on Windows 7

Errors in Browser Console:

Code: Select all

ASSERT: Invalid menuitem in the folders-menulist
  debug.js:54
	NS_ASSERT resource://gre/modules/debug.js:54:3
	_getFolderIdFromMenuList chrome://browser/content/places/editBookmarkOverlay.js:753:5
	init/< chrome://abhere2/content/browserOverlay.js:928:50
	hackFunc/obj[name] chrome://abhere2/content/browserOverlay.js:25:72
	hackFunc/obj[name] chrome://abhere2/content/browserOverlay.js:26:34
	hidePopup chrome://global/content/bindings/popup.xml:137:13
	oncommand chrome://browser/content/browser.xul:1:1

Code: Select all

Error: can't set pref extensions.abhere2.folderId.bookmark to value 'undefined'; it isn't a String, Number, or Boolean  Preferences.jsm:146:13
	Preferences._set resource://gre/modules/Preferences.jsm:146:13
	Preferences.set resource://gre/modules/Preferences.jsm:108:3
	set prefBookmarkFolderId chrome://abhere2/content/browserOverlay.js:89:9
	saveBookmarkFolderId chrome://abhere2/content/browserOverlay.js:571:9
	init/< chrome://abhere2/content/browserOverlay.js:928:21
	hackFunc/obj[name] chrome://abhere2/content/browserOverlay.js:25:72
	hackFunc/obj[name] chrome://abhere2/content/browserOverlay.js:26:34
	hidePopup chrome://global/content/bindings/popup.xml:137:13
	oncommand chrome://browser/content/browser.xul:1:1

I noticed you are ending the add-on's life after FF57 comes out. Would WebExtension break the tooltip part of your add-on as well?
phkhgh

Post by phkhgh »

Yuoo2k, thanks for your years of work to keep ABH2 going & saving us from being stuck with a sub-par bookmarking system.
I'd like to ask your opinion why so many (good) addon developers seem to have decided early on that they wouldn't even attempt to migrate their addons to web extensions? Assuming that the new APIs would support what they needed to do. Is it really difficult to work with the webextension APIs, or are a lot of the devs sort of burned out on developing & maintaining their addons?

For advanced users, a Firefox that looks & acts basically like Chrome, but without many of the addons they consider critical, there's not a lot of advantage over Chrome (unless you just don't like Google). For less techie users that use few addons anyway, making Firefox "just like Chrome" doesn't seem like the best plan to entice them to switch browsers, either.
avada wrote: I noticed the broken back forward history again with v55 too. Though only sporadically. Since this addon was at fault the first time, I assumed it is again and disabled it. Didn't get it again.
Unfortunately, in Fx 55.0.2, the forward button didn't show for me, either. Disabled ABH2 & problem seems fixed. Sadly, guess I'll have to live w/o it & several other addons - for a while?

When updated to v55.0.2 (from 54.0.2), Fx DISABLED all my legacy addons. I thought they were supposed to be allowed until v57?? Jumping the gun?
I guess Mozilla is anxious for people to start porting Chrome addons? My gut says there's more to this than meets the eye. If so many Fx native features weren't so weak or non-existent (like its cookie "manager"), it wouldn't be so bad. Mozilla frequently says about bugs / missing features, "There's just no resources to fix it right now."

Hmmm. Has anyone looked at Mozilla Foundation's financial reports lately? They're doing very well.
enbalmed

Post by enbalmed »

Bug report:

ABH2 = 55.0.20170705
FFox = 55.0.1 x64
OS = Win 7 SP1 x64

Bookmark All Tabs (Ctrl + Shift + D) brings up an empty dialog - i.e. "[Folder Name]" is missing from the Name field, and the Folder drop-down is blank.
I can fill in the Name field, and browse to a destination folder, but when I click Add Bookmarks, Firefox crashes…

I first encountered occasional crashes in FF 53.x or 54.x, but with FF 55.x, it crashes every time. And it wasn't until 55.x that the dialog issue appeared.
If I disable ABH2, the BAT dialog is once again pre-populated correctly, and clicking AB doesn't crash FF.

(1) Bookmark All Tabs, with ABH2 enabled (broken) / (2) with ABH2 disabled (what it should look like):
(1) Image (2) Image
Last edited by enbalmed on August 18th, 2017, 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

I just checked, and I have Add Bookmark Here version 3.0.

How come this doesn't update?

It is disabled, but I know other disabled extensions/addons still update.
mancode20

Post by mancode20 »

Probably a dumb question, but does Xeonx's fix work with Firefox 56 Beta 3, or no? Let me know. Thanks!
enbalmed

Post by enbalmed »

I added images to my post above to better illustrate the bug. However, now that I've re-read some posts in this thread that I somehow missed before, it sounds like dev on this addon has more or less ceased.

I realize that WebExtensions is taking over w/FF v57, but since Waterfox and Pale Moon are going to keep XUL compatibility, and the FF ESR channel will include support for some time yet, there's still grounds to implement some minor fixes in the current ABH2 code.

And going forward, I suspect a lot of us will deal with the WebExtensions issue by either switching to a FF fork, or by having multiple FF installs for different purposes. (Personally, I'm in the latter camp, since I use the Tor ESR fork, Pale Moon, and multiple FF channels via PortableApps.com.)
enbalmed

Post by enbalmed »

DN123ABC (on Jan 17th, 2017) wrote:Did this extension take the place of the one named "Add Bookmark Here 3.0" by Daniel Lindkvist? I have that older one in my extensions list, but disabled (probably incompatible). Thanks.
DN123ABC (on Aug 17th, 2017) wrote:I just checked, and I have Add Bookmark Here version 3.0. How come this doesn't update? It is disabled, but I know other disabled extensions/addons still update.
This thread is for "Add Bookmark Here 2," which is currently at v55.0.20170705
There's no v3.0 AFAIK. It sounds like you're talking about the old "Add Bookmark Here," which discontinued at v0.5.8 in 2007. (Unless its author released an unofficial build somewhere.)
Last edited by enbalmed on August 20th, 2017, 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.