[Ext] Add Bookmark Here ²

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
dougjp

Re: [Ext] Add Bookmark Here ²

Post by dougjp »

avada wrote:@N8uhu
Nope. GUI modding like this will be impossible starting with FF57.
So any ".css" amendment now is useless as it will vanish with the next version, if not before.

I've been loyal since Firefox began and Netscape before it. However if the simple act of bookmarking something where, and in what position, I want remains impossible with 57 as it is now with 56, with no adjustments whatsoever, then I have to leave. Why would they mess up the most basic functions? Are they trying to intentionally aggravate their base?

To determine in advance what 57 will offer, is there anywhere that explains, and shows in detail, what features are intended for 57? Specifically bookmarking something, HOW it works and what options exist?
enbalmed

Post by enbalmed »

If any of the recent posters here would have searched this thread - and/or read the last few pages of it - they'd know what the current development status is, which versions of the addon are still usable, and which versions of Firefox (and its forks/mods) are compatible with them.

So if you're just finding your way here, start reading on pg 68; there you'll find the last post from the author indicating that development has currently halted, and why.
On pg 69, you'll find the first report of the "Bookmark All Tabs" bug, which has now been sufficiently confirmed.

There really isn't much to discuss at this point, unless:
1. Someone volunteers to tackle the re-build of ABH2 as a WebExtensions addon.
2. A similar addon appears in Chrome Land that's already coded for WebExtensions.
3. Or if it's about which Firefox version/fork/mod offers the best support for the current XUL version of ABH2.

If any of that sounds curt, note that I'm not trying to play thread cop here - just pointing out that most of the recent posts are redundant, when what we need is discussion about solutions/work-arounds.
jamesejohnson

Post by jamesejohnson »

Hello. Today, on Sept. 30, 2017 there was a small update to Fx. I allowed it now this wonderful addon would not function. Tried reinstall, reboot win7 x64 and all that. No go joe. ](*,) Anybody know whats going on or a fix maybe? [-o< Thanks, Jim
It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man.
jamesejohnson

Post by jamesejohnson »

Update "edit" from my above post. From File hippo I got the last Fx version they had > 55.0.3 < & installed it. Viola! ABMH came to life again. were are in trouble when this addon goes away guys. what is the similar addon in chrome's name? Jim
It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man.
QonoS

Post by QonoS »

Did you mean GUI modding like ABH2? Or something else? There's a lot of functionality in ABH2, and not all of it is GUI modding.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

most of ABH2 functions are based an a internal xul or modifiying context menu which is currently not possible or allowed. thats why the menu wizard from pag77 is not going to survive as webextension. but extension are allowed to use their own dialogs if they can insert the result into firefox (like chrome) and if the API behind is present. currently there are not much options.
jamesejohnson

Post by jamesejohnson »

Further edit. Here is how to do a "add bookmark here" in chrome. See page under this topic:

https://www.gcflearnfree.org/chrome/boo ... -chrome/1/ >>>>
"To add a bookmark".

Not as nifty as ABH2 but works fairly easy from my short experience.

Until another day, Jim

Toodle de do
avada

Post by avada »

QonoS wrote:
Did you mean GUI modding like ABH2? Or something else? There's a lot of functionality in ABH2, and not all of it is GUI modding.
Most of it is GUI modding.
enbalmed

Post by enbalmed »

Stumbled on this page the other day: Porting a Google Chrome extension. In case anyone is interested, or wants to take a stab at migrating ABH2 to WebExtensions (WExt).

I also recently did a little searching (in the Chrome web store and elsewhere), for a WExt-based knock-off of ABH2, but so far I've only found this:
Chrome-Add-Bookmark-Here. The project appears to be 2 mo old, and there's no documentation for it. I haven't had time to take a closer look or test it, but maybe someone else does.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

it cannot work and it do not work. firefox is too different this way.
jamesejohnson

Post by jamesejohnson »

@Enbalmed: Hey Guy, thanks for that great "Chrome-add-bookmark-here" lead!!

Sorry, but clicking on its highlight "link" does not work. Nor do I get any results for that same search que in the Chrome Web Store.

Please enlighten all of us to know how access this "project".

Edit: After a new looksee, seem this is a Fx "project".. That correct?

Thanks Bunches, Jim
dougjp

Post by dougjp »

SOLVED! For awhile anyway. Switch to Firefox ESR and then get Add Bookmark Here 2, version 52.0.2xx only. Back to a properly working browser where add-ons work! This buys time into next year, by which time we will hear if FF 57 and beyond is either user friendly, or predatory and arrogant. Then I'll make the switch to Waterfox if necessary.

I really don't care what they say Firefox ESR is for. Mozilla is abandoning its core users' desires in a browser. The very people who are interested in user friendliness and customizability. You would think they would promote this advantage more instead of going the opposite way for speed records. With high speed internet who cares? Do they think real people generally ever look at browser speed test comparison charts?? And I'm sorry, but "that room is already occupied" with Chrome. What is Mozilla going to do, find bagfuls of money to pay top tier software to imbed firefox downloads in software installation, to catch the majority of unwary computer users who find they have a new browser on their computer, and increase supposed usage stats? How else are they going to avoid a decrease in numbers of users :D
SergeGardien

Post by SergeGardien »

dougjp wrote:SOLVED! For awhile anyway. Switch to Firefox ESR and then get Add Bookmark Here 2, version 52.0.2xx only. Back to a properly working browser where add-ons work!
Dougjp, how have you migrated your FF profile to ESR (with all addons, various configurations, bookmarks, cookies, etc.)?
I'm thinking of moving too so I can buy some time like you.
dougjp

Post by dougjp »

SergeGardien wrote:
dougjp wrote:SOLVED! For awhile anyway. Switch to Firefox ESR and then get Add Bookmark Here 2, version 52.0.2xx only. Back to a properly working browser where add-ons work!
Dougjp, how have you migrated your FF profile to ESR (with all addons, various configurations, bookmarks, cookies, etc.)?
I'm thinking of moving too so I can buy some time like you.
Its automatic, everything comes with the change. Just download and install without doing anything to your existing browser - backup of course though. I had one other add on that wasn't compatible - forgot which one. The reason anything isn't compatible is ESR is an earlier version and your add-on was upgraded subsequently. So going back to an earlier version of the add-on will be necessary.
SergeGardien

Post by SergeGardien »

dougjp wrote:Its automatic, everything comes with the change. Just download and install without doing anything to your existing browser - backup of course though. I had one other add on that wasn't compatible - forgot which one. The reason anything isn't compatible is ESR is an earlier version and your add-on was upgraded subsequently. So going back to an earlier version of the add-on will be necessary.
Good, one less hassle.
How have you downgraded the addons?