[Ext] Add Bookmark Here ²

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
dougjp

Re: [Ext] Add Bookmark Here ²

Post by dougjp »

SergeGardien wrote:
dougjp wrote:Its automatic, everything comes with the change. Just download and install without doing anything to your existing browser - backup of course though. I had one other add on that wasn't compatible - forgot which one. The reason anything isn't compatible is ESR is an earlier version and your add-on was upgraded subsequently. So going back to an earlier version of the add-on will be necessary.
Good, one less hassle.
How have you downgraded the addons?
Everything is ported over with the install. Here's a list of previous downloads for this add-on, uninstall the latest one that doesn't work, install the one I mentioned. I don't know where other add-ons past versions are, as everything worked as is.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 0.20170311
SergeGardien

Post by SergeGardien »

dougjp wrote: Everything is ported over with the install. Here's a list of previous downloads for this add-on, uninstall the latest one that doesn't work, install the one I mentioned. I don't know where other add-ons past versions are, as everything worked as is.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 0.20170311
Good, thanks again ;-)
AddBookMarkerUser

Post by AddBookMarkerUser »

Are you making a version that will work with Firefox 56 and up anytime soon? I really don't like using Firefox without your wonderful add-on.
enbalmed

Post by enbalmed »

jamesejohnson wrote:@Enbalmed: Hey Guy, thanks for that great "Chrome-add-bookmark-here" lead!!
Sorry, but clicking on its highlight "link" does not work. Nor do I get any results for that same search que in the Chrome Web Store.
Please enlighten all of us to know how access this "project".
Edit: After a new looksee, seem this is a Fx "project".. That correct?
Thanks Bunches, Jim
I'm afraid I couldn't tell you anymore about it. I just stumbled across it, and figured I'd mention it here in case someone else had time to investigate it further. I contacted the author for more info, but he hasn't answered. So that's that for now.

With FF 57 around the corner, I'll be focusing on a switch to FF 52.3 ESR next.

If this article is any indication, it could be awhile yet before a port of ABH2 to WE format is even feasible. ("...Firefox currently has support for only a limited set of the features and APIs supported by Chrome and Opera. We're working on adding more support, but many features are not yet supported, and we may never support some.")
jamesejohnson

Post by jamesejohnson »

enbalmed wrote:
jamesejohnson wrote:@Enbalmed: Hey Guy, thanks for that great "Chrome-add-bookmark-here" lead!!
Sorry, but clicking on its highlight "link" does not work. Nor do I get any results for that same search que in the Chrome Web Store.
Please enlighten all of us to know how access this "project".
Edit: After a new looksee, seem this is a Fx "project".. That correct?
Thanks Bunches, Jim
I'm afraid I couldn't tell you anymore about it. I just stumbled across it, and figured I'd mention it here in case someone else had time to investigate it further. I contacted the author for more info, but he hasn't answered. So that's that for now.

With FF 57 around the corner, I'll be focusing on a switch to FF 52.3 ESR next.

If this article is any indication, it could be awhile yet before a port of ABH2 to WE format is even feasible. ("...Firefox currently has support for only a limited set of the features and APIs supported by Chrome and Opera. We're working on adding more support, but many features are not yet supported, and we may never support some.")
Ok appreciate the reply. Well something to keep an eye on anyhow.

Yeah, I have the ESR routine mentioned here in my mind also, especially with all the "LEGACY" labels still beside almost all my addons. That tells me good news may not be ahead, unless I am missing something.

I went thru a bunch of Chrome extensions, and no ABH2 equivalent seems to exist. Kinda odd given the really big help an addon like that provides. To bad chrome cannot use Fx addons.

Well, it 3:10 , so its time to crawl back under the covers. Thanks for the info bud!
It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man.
enbalmed

Post by enbalmed »

For anyone who might be interested in trying to migrate ABH2 to the WebExtensions (WExt) format, I stumbled on a Chrome extension called Quick Bookmark To Folder. It's not the same as ABH2 - not nearly as powerful for starters - but it has some features that might provide insight in to the code required. The source can be found on GitHub here.

Another possibility is that we might ask the current developer of ABH2 if he'd be willing to tackle a WExt port if we all chipped in 5+ bucks donation. I'm guessing it's a long shot as he's probably sick of the entire add-on merry-go-round, but who knows.

Note that everything above assumes that the FF WExt API's even make a port feasible.

Side note RE FF v52 ESR: The current development timeline indicates that it'll be supported for the next 8 months (til June 2018), so that will buy some time. One point that isn't widely known though is that - due to core changes in FF starting with v55 - it's not currently possible to cleanly migrate your profile to FF v52 ESR. (More info here.) At least not if you want to preserve your addons and addon data. So unfortunately it appears that the safest bet is to: (1) backup your current FF 55+ profile, (2) uninstall FF, (3) install FF 52 ESR, (4) then reinstall your addons...
jamesejohnson

Post by jamesejohnson »

enbalmed wrote:For anyone who might be interested in trying to migrate ABH2 to the WebExtensions (WExt) format, I stumbled on a Chrome extension called Quick Bookmark To Folder. It's not the same as ABH2 - not nearly as powerful for starters - but it has some features that might provide insight in to the code required. The source can be found on GitHub here.

Another possibility is that we might ask the current developer of ABH2 if he'd be willing to tackle a WExt port if we all chipped in 5+ bucks donation. I'm guessing it's a long shot as he's probably sick of the entire add-on merry-go-round, but who knows.

Note that everything above assumes that the FF WExt API's even make a port feasible.

Side note RE FF v52 ESR: The current development timeline indicates that it'll be supported for the next 8 months (til June 2018), so that will buy some time. One point that isn't widely known though is that - due to core changes in FF starting with v55 - it's not currently possible to cleanly migrate your profile to FF v52 ESR. (More info here.) At least not if you want to preserve your addons and addon data. So unfortunately it appears that the safest bet is to: (1) backup your current FF 55+ profile, (2) uninstall FF, (3) install FF 52 ESR, (4) then reinstall your addons...
@ enbalmed Thanks for that insight. I was wondering about how to install and use the ESR effectively. Now this is a great leap forward to that goal. Really appreciated, Jim
It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man.
enbalmed

Post by enbalmed »

Followup to my previous note RE FF v52 ESR:
This is off topic (again), but for migrating between FF versions, I've heard that FEBE can be useful - that's just what I've heard; haven't tried it myself.
Also, when you reinstall ABH2, I believe you'll want to use v52.0.20170311 - not the latest, which is only for FF 55-56. (Apologies if that's already been covered.)
jamesejohnson

Post by jamesejohnson »

enbalmed wrote:Followup to my previous note RE FF v52 ESR:
This is off topic (again), but for migrating between FF versions, I've heard that FEBE can be useful - that's just what I've heard; haven't tried it myself.
Also, when you reinstall ABH2, I believe you'll want to use v52.0.20170311 - not the latest, which is only for FF 55-56. (Apologies if that's already been covered.)
Yeah, I run an earlier version too. couldn't get ABH2 to work on update, so had to! On the FEBE deal..Just contact Chuck the developer. He is a real real helpful guy in that kind of thing. A no play games kinda guy too.

FYI I contacted a developer on creating a Chrome ABH2. Will let you know what happens. Just one more avenue to use in case of disaster, and that.

Talk later, Jim
francwalter

Post by francwalter »

Did I read all last posts right and FF 56 breaks ABH2 for good? No patch, no new version?
Only way is to go back to FF 55 ?
jamesejohnson

Post by jamesejohnson »

francwalter wrote:Did I read all last posts right and FF 56 breaks ABH2 for good? No patch, no new version?
Most certainly did for me. The "helpful" Fx auto update set in and upon the reboot, poof! ABH2 went by-by. I had to find an earlier version to get back my ABH2 loved one. Might be my software if it did not do it for others, dunno. But ABH2 works fine now. That's all I did so I cannot answer all your questions, sorry.
enbalmed

Post by enbalmed »

francwalter wrote:Did I read all last posts right and FF 56 breaks ABH2 for good? No patch, no new version?
Some features are broken in FF 55 as well - like the Save All Bookmarks function.
The last word from the developer is that he likely won't be porting ABH2 to the WebExtensions format for FF 57+.
To continue to use all ABH2 functions, you'd have to switch to FF 52 ESR or an FF fork like Pale Moon.
francwalter

Post by francwalter »

Can I use the Firefox Bookmarks Sync with Pale Moon?
enbalmed

Post by enbalmed »

francwalter wrote:Can I use the Firefox Bookmarks Sync with Pale Moon?
You'd be better off asking that in the Pale Moon forums. Their website also lists what FF features and addons are supported.
And incidentally, discussions about Firefox forks/alternatives, and WebExtensions ports, probably have their own dedicated Mozilla threads with better coverage than what we're discussing here.
Last edited by enbalmed on October 10th, 2017, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
francwalter

Post by francwalter »

enbalmed wrote:You'd be better off asking that in the Pale Moon forums...
Thank. I read there, that it is not possible.
I mainly still use FF because of the sophisticated bookmarks and its sync. One of the reasons why ABH2 is so important to me :)
In past (and now) I lost so much time with FF because of different issues, that I already tried to switch to chrome, but the bookmarks there are much less comfortable.