[Ext] Add Bookmark Here ²

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Brummelchen

Re: [Ext] Add Bookmark Here ²

Post by Brummelchen »

>> it is safe

in short: no, never again.
dougjp

Post by dougjp »

snowcrash500 wrote:After using Firefox 57 for couple weeks, I found I couldn't live without ABM2. I've reinstalled 55.0.3 and very happy to see Firefox back to the way it was before with all the extensions working.

My question would be if anyone knows whether it is safe to use Firefox 55 for the foreseeable future? Are there any critical vulnerabilities we would see for not using the latest Firefox version?
Just a guess, based on logic. Assuming you have disabled or will refuse to update 55 as that will just take you back to 57. NO it may not be safe IF updates between 55 and 57, 58 and beyond have any security improvements in them. I would say going back to 52 ESR, which has already had one update (must have been security related) since I started using it is the only way to be sure.
gramesh_vns1

Post by gramesh_vns1 »

Sleepwalker wrote:
gramesh_vns1 wrote:@Sleepwalker Which other addons you are using?
Happy I could help you!

I dont want to hijack this thread thus I'll just mention the most imortant ones:

Adblock+, RAMBack (saves ALOT of memory!), Self-Destructing Cookies, NoScript, Disable html5 fullscreen alert, Disable speculative pre-connections.

I would have installed the esr version if I had known about it earlier. Atm I dont want to change a running system.
@Sleepwalker, Thanks for reply, sorry I could not acknowledge immediately as I was on some other job.
hockeymikey

Post by hockeymikey »

Having issues with the most recent version. I'm on Waterfox 56 and the right click menu items aren't appearing. They appear for a moment initially but then disappear. Not an issue with any CSS, disabled all of that and tested different profiles with no resolve. Anybody have any ideas?
enbalmed

Post by enbalmed »

hockeymikey wrote:Having issues with the most recent version. I'm on Waterfox 56 and the right click menu items aren't appearing. They appear for a moment initially but then disappear. Not an issue with any CSS, disabled all of that and tested different profiles with no resolve. Anybody have any ideas?
I believe that's ultimately going to be a question for Waterfox's dev, since it's supposed to retain support for legacy addons past v55.
But I would first try v52 of ABH2 and see if that works.
Blunted

Post by Blunted »

Waterfox is not working with v52 or v55 of ABH2, I need & miss this add-on, please come back all is rosy in the garden.
enbalmed

Post by enbalmed »

Blunted wrote:Waterfox is not working with v52 or v55 of ABH2, I need & miss this add-on, please come back all is rosy in the garden.
Actually, ABH2 is specifically mentioned in the Waterfox v56 release notes:
  • "Help! Some of my add-ons don’t work.
    Don’t worry. Compatibility with older add-ons is being brought back in the next few releases. A few listed add-ons that won’t currently work: LiveClick, Color That Site, Add Bookmark Here ², Pure URL, Mozilla Archive Format"
I couldn't find a link to a forum on the Waterfox site, but there's a comment section on the release notes page, and there's also a Reddit page for Waterfox. So you may be able to find more info there.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

I don't know if this would fill everyone's needs when using FF57, but I am using FF57 with the Default Bookmark Folder addon. It allows the user to specify a default location (folder) for added bookmarks, and includes its own bookmarking button that appears within the URL box which, when clicked, sends a bookmark of the current page to either the top or bottom of the bookmarks in that folder.

I use this addon to add my favorite sites to the Bookmarks Toolbar.
Sleepwalker

Post by Sleepwalker »

Ed1 wrote:I don't know if this would fill everyone's needs when using FF57, but I am using FF57 with the Default Bookmark Folder addon. .
Not really because the advantage of addbookmarkhere is that you can add it exactly where you want it without having to copy it around after adding or even having to manage the bookmarks.
dougjp

Post by dougjp »

Ed1 wrote:I don't know if this would fill everyone's needs when using FF57, but I am using FF57 with the Default Bookmark Folder addon. It allows the user to specify a default location (folder) for added bookmarks, and includes its own bookmarking button that appears within the URL box which, when clicked, sends a bookmark of the current page to either the top or bottom of the bookmarks in that folder.

I use this addon to add my favorite sites to the Bookmarks Toolbar.
I don't see how that's different than before, but maybe more detail is needed. Saying " to either the top or bottom of the bookmarks in that folder " implies there is some choice between those two positions somewhere, but undefined. However most important to determine if anything has changed at all, does it allow placing a bookmark in a folder of my choice each time, and does it open a tree of my many folders which automatically drops down how far I want it to, to easily find and choose which folder I want to add that particular URL to? If not, its as useless as before. We are looking for the common options to come back, or some 57 compatible add on to bring us those things..
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

No, Default Bookmark Folder does not have all of those those functions. In its settings, the user pre-specifies where bookmarks are to be saved. The folder selected is not changeable on each instance of saving - only if the settings are first modified. It does allow the user to specify, again in advance, whether to place newly saved bookmarks at the top or bottom of the list of other bookmarks stored in that folder.
Planet Maine

Post by Planet Maine »

Please sweet Jesus make this compatible with Quantum! I have not added a single bookmark since this nightmare began because every time I go to add one I am reminded of how it is next to impossible to do it and then I get irritated and come here to see if they have fixed it yet. Pay the guy and get it the f*&% in Quantum. PLEASE!
enbalmed

Post by enbalmed »

Planet Maine wrote:Please sweet Jesus make this compatible with Quantum! I have not added a single bookmark since this nightmare began because every time I go to add one I am reminded of how it is next to impossible to do it and then I get irritated and come here to see if they have fixed it yet. Pay the guy and get it the f*&% in Quantum. PLEASE!
RE money: I PM'ed the developer a few months ago to find out if he'd be willing to migrate the code if he received enough donations, but I never got a reply. (I'm guessing that he's probably unsubscribed from this thread as well.)

That could be moot though anyway, as a Web Extensions version may not even be feasible due to a lack of the necessary API support. It's possible that Mozilla will implement said support in the future, but at last check, they haven't yet.

One idea is to look for an existing Chrome extension that has some features in common with ABH2, and then approach its developer about potentially adapting whatever ABH2 features are missing.
avada

Post by avada »

Planet Maine wrote:Please sweet Jesus make this compatible with Quantum! I have not added a single bookmark since this nightmare began because every time I go to add one I am reminded of how it is next to impossible to do it and then I get irritated and come here to see if they have fixed it yet. Pay the guy and get it the f*&% in Quantum. PLEASE!
But apparently you're incapable of actually reading stuff here. It won't work with "Quantum" because it can't an that's that...
Also how hard it is to drag a tab into the desired bookmark folder?

Also by what strange reason you think that you can order people to "pay the guy"?
pschroeter

Post by pschroeter »

I am constantly reminded that I can't do this anymore with Quantum and hope a solution is eventually found. To those people who will tell me Quantum can't do this, its' a GD computer it will do whatever you can program it to do, whether it has to com from an extension developer of has to come in a future version of Quantum. For about a week I tried Google Chrome and this feature was built in, but I had to come back to Firefox because it was better overall.