[Ext] Add Bookmark Here ²

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
custom.firefox.lady

Re: [Ext] Add Bookmark Here ²

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

FWIW, I created Bookmark Tab Here as a webextension. It's ultra-basic compared to ABH2, but it WFM.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3038053
nektar4d

Post by nektar4d »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:FWIW, I created Bookmark Tab Here as a webextension. It's ultra-basic compared to ABH2, but it WFM.
Thank you!!
MorpheusUK

Post by MorpheusUK »

Thanks,
I have actually raised a feature request to have the context menu functionality built into Firefox for which the response pointed me to the Bookmark Tab Here extension as a possible solution. The feature request is still open for the moment if others wish to comment, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1437287.

I notice the new extension needs FF 59, does this mean a new API has been added to support this?
Makyen

Post by Makyen »

MorpheusUK wrote:I notice the new extension needs FF 59, does this mean a new API has been added to support this?
Yes, Firefox 59 adds the "bookmark" type to those areas in which WedExtensions can add context menus.

Unfortunately, Firefox still lacks the ability for a WebExtension to either signal Firefox to open the bookmark editing dialog, or to read/write tags for a bookmark. As a result, a WebExtension can't open a user interface to allow the user to fully edit the bookmark. You could build you own interface to edit those portions of a bookmark to which WebExtensions have access, but it couldn't include tags and some other properties. It's unclear if/when such capability might exist.

Thus, for those that had a use-flow of immediately editing the new bookmark to change properties or add tags when the dialog was opened by ABH2, the workflow will remain a two step process (add the bookmark to the correct folder, then separately open the edit dialog). However, the new extension should be a significant improvement over what exists for FF 57–58.
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

MorpheusUK wrote:...I notice the new extension needs FF 59, does this mean a new API has been added to support this?
That was added in Bug 1370499
Makyen wrote:Unfortunately, Firefox still lacks the ability for a WebExtension to either signal Firefox to open the bookmark editing dialog...
If we can get Bug 1411756 it would be possible to open the bookmark dialog when clicking "Bookmark Tab Here". I'd prefer to do it on say, Ctrl-click instead of having to set it as an option. Not too optimistic though, since it's P5, and I'm not interested in having to write the patch myself.
Bob4K

Post by Bob4K »

AddBookMarkerUser wrote:Are you making a version that will work with Firefox 56 and up anytime soon? I really don't like using Firefox without your wonderful add-on.
Here is a way to probably make it work (from the reddit Waterfox thread):

Code: Select all

Add the following line in all sources which use Task (browserOverlay.js, editFolderOverlay.js, editPanelOverlay.js) Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm");

Replace all 3 uses of PlacesViewBase by the following (in browserOverlay.js): Object.getPrototypeOf(PlacesPanelview)

This modification works with Waterfox 56.

I uploaded it to:

Code: Select all

https://transfer.pcloud.com/download.html?code=5ZGX287ZwiTSto0EsghZeCVRZ4PTH3OQO4NHb1OAykcpYRSY9YqXk
It makes ctrl-w not work any more to close tabs though.
Jack Black

Post by Jack Black »

Bob4K wrote:It makes ctrl-w not work any more to close tabs though.
And it seems you're also no longer able to delete a bookmark from the Edit Bookmark dialog.
Bob4K

Post by Bob4K »

Jack Black wrote:
And it seems you're also no longer able to delete a bookmark from the Edit Bookmark dialog.
Correct.
avada

Post by avada »

Not a good tradeoff.
Jack Black wrote:And it seems you're also no longer able to delete a bookmark from the Edit Bookmark dialog.
The edit bookmark dialog doesn't have a delete feature. So what are you talking about? Do you mean the bookmark-star doorhanger?
Bob4K

Post by Bob4K »

avada wrote:
Not a good tradeoff
I use now KeyBinder to assign close-tab to F1, which is easier to use than ctrl-w (one key instead of two).

It took a couple of days to get used to it, but now I'm plenty satisfied with the trade-off. Add Bookmark Here is essential, and using the last security patches too.

Anyway, Waterfox blog says they are working on restoring compatibility, so it might be temporary. Even if it really happens, I won't go back to ctrl-w.

I'm used to having non-standard key shortcuts when they are more efficient, I have no trouble switching from one to another depending on the app.

I'm using the same too on Thunderbird with Keyconfig.

Edit: I just hope that KeyBinder won't stop working. :)
avada

Post by avada »

Bob4K wrote:which is easier to use than ctrl-w (one key instead of two).
Meaning you more easily close a tab by accident.
Bob4K

Post by Bob4K »

avada wrote:
Bob4K wrote:which is easier to use than ctrl-w (one key instead of two).
Meaning you more easily close a tab by accident.
To each his own...
Hitting F1 is unlikely to hit par accident anyway, and there is the Open Close Tab button for that.
I switched to Dorando keyconfig by the way, which allows to duplicate a function so that ^W stills works if needed.
If ever Waterfox or ADB2 get fixed, I'll have the choice.
Hitting F1 now..
Jack Black

Post by Jack Black »

avada wrote:The edit bookmark dialog doesn't have a delete feature. So what are you talking about? Do you mean the bookmark-star doorhanger?
I'm talking about the "Remove bookmark" button from the "Page bookmarked" and "Edit this bookmark" popup menus, that appears for example when you:
  • click on the Bookmark star (for the first time to add a bookmark, or once a page has been bookmarked),
  • use the "Bookmark this page", or "Edit this bookmark" from the Bookmarks menu in the Menu Bar.
Planet Maine

Post by Planet Maine »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:FWIW, I created Bookmark Tab Here as a webextension. It's ultra-basic compared to ABH2, but it WFM.
Foxy Lady! Hey you >solved< this! Not quite as slick as ABH but gets the job done without having to take five steps and then having the bookmark at the bottom of the list.

Many thanks!

maine
Olofern

Post by Olofern »

This extension is a must-to-have, unfortunately it doesn't work on Waterfox 56.
The suggested changes in the Waterfox forum are not satisfactory at all.
Please, update Add Bookmark Here ²