[Ext] Add Bookmark Here ²

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
tanstaafl_bh

Re: [Ext] Add Bookmark Here ²

Post by tanstaafl_bh »

I just confirmed, dropping back to 56.0.1 it is no longer disabled, and I have my most used feature back...

I right-click anywhere inside a Tab and access the Bookmarkes menu from there.

I do note that there is no 'Add Bookmark' choice when adding to Bookmarks though, so I guess this stopped working in 56, and since I don't use it much, I didn't notice...
Planet Maine

Post by Planet Maine »

On 57 FF now. Still no 'Add bookmark here' function in core and can't use this essential best addon. What is up? Plus their screenshot core program stinks in that you cannot edit the shot like Nimbus.

PLEASE get us our add on back!
gramesh_vns1

Post by gramesh_vns1 »

Planet Maine wrote:On 57 FF now. Still no 'Add bookmark here' function in core and can't use this essential best addon. What is up? Plus their screenshot core program stinks in that you cannot edit the shot like Nimbus.

PLEASE get us our add on back!
+1
Sleepwalker

Post by Sleepwalker »

gramesh_vns1 wrote:@Sleepwalker, Please tell me the steps to revert back to FF Version 55.0.3.
Download V55.0.3, uninstall FF. Install V55.0.3. Disable the auto update! Thats it. I did not have to install all addons again. Everything was as before after doing it that way. But I made a screenshot of my addons before just in case I would have to install every addon again.

Unfortunately I did not save the webpage where all FF-versions where available because I kept the setup.exe in my download folder but I´m sure your favorite search engine will find it for you.

edt.: I didnt find the mozilla page I got it from but I found this one: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

If you would like to go for the ESR-Version right away you can find it here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... tions/all/
Dont forget to make a screener or a list of your addons in this case!
Last edited by Sleepwalker on November 18th, 2017, 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sleepwalker

Post by Sleepwalker »

dougjp wrote: Yes, as explained in most of the previous pages' posts, the current and future versions won't support this or the other 'legacy' add-ons. Suggest getting Firefox ESR.
Thats a pity! Thanks for the info! Sorry for not reading the posts before asking. Usually I do but dont find anything thats why I didnt this time lol.

Everything got worse with the recent FF updates, adblock didnt work as it used to as well - at least the element hiding helper - thus I´ll stay with 55.0.3 for some time but I will keep the ESR version in mind.
dougjp

Post by dougjp »

Sleepwalker wrote:
dougjp wrote: Yes, as explained in most of the previous pages' posts, the current and future versions won't support this or the other 'legacy' add-ons. Suggest getting Firefox ESR.
Thats a pity! Thanks for the info! Sorry for not reading the posts before asking. Usually I do but dont find anything thats why I didnt this time lol.

Everything got worse with the recent FF updates, adblock didnt work as it used to as well - at least the element hiding helper - thus I´ll stay with 55.0.3 for some time but I will keep the ESR version in mind.
Luckily ESR will work for quite a few months yet. Gives time for Mozilla to start thinking about what the customer wants instead of a bunch of Geeks spouting how the new one will start a few milliseconds faster, which slightly more than zero people seriously care about. ](*,)
gramesh_vns1

Post by gramesh_vns1 »

@Sleepwalker, thanks a ton for the useful reply.
Download V55.0.3, uninstall FF. Install V55.0.3. Disable the auto update! Thats it. I did not have to install all addons again. Everything was as before after doing it that way. But I made a screenshot of my addons before just in case I would have to install every addon again.
Downloaded installed as mentioned above. It perfectly worked. Same with me, no need to install addons again. I am using only "Quick fox/Flagfox and Add Bookmark here2. Which other addons you are using?
Unfortunately I did not save the webpage where all FF-versions where available because I kept the setup.exe in my download folder but I´m sure your favorite search engine will find it for you.

edt.: I didnt find the mozilla page I got it from but I found this one: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
Ok no problem, in addition to the above website, one can find many useful softwares along with Firefox at "https://filehippo.com/" and specifically "https://filehippo.com/download_firefox/77537/" for FF 64 bit.
If you would like to go for the ESR-Version right away you can find it here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... tions/all/
Dont forget to make a screener or a list of your addons in this case!
Just checked the above site also, it says on the first page " Firefox ESR is intended for groups who deploy and maintain the desktop environment in large organizations ". can an individual also use it?
dougjp

Post by dougjp »

gramesh_vns1 wrote:@Sleepwalker, thanks a ton for the useful reply.

Just checked the above site also, it says on the first page " Firefox ESR is intended for groups who deploy and maintain the desktop environment in large organizations ". can an individual also use it?
Certainly. Its just their description, which IMO should have been extended to say " and those who want to customize their browsing experience" [-X
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

dougjp wrote:Certainly. Its just their description, which IMO should have been extended to say " and those who want to customize their browsing experience" [-X
...customize their browsing experience until June 2018.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.1, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
dick99999

Post by dick99999 »

I often save bookmarks for a while in the same project folder. Since ABH2 is not working in FF57, I tried the extension 'default bookmark folder'. Is has an option to save new bookmarks at the top of the list. And an option for 1 click saves to the default folder. I have to set up that default, but at least the bookmarks are stored again at the top of that chosen folder.
dougjp

Post by dougjp »

dick99999 wrote:I often save bookmarks for a while in the same project folder. Since ABH2 is not working in FF57, I tried the extension 'default bookmark folder'. Is has an option to save new bookmarks at the top of the list. And an option for 1 click saves to the default folder. I have to set up that default, but at least the bookmarks are stored again at the top of that chosen folder.
To me, the 'save new bookmarks at the top of the list' is fantastic news, thanks! As I don't have a separate computer to put FF57 on, could you clarify what happens? Ie; is it like Add Bookmark Here2 where clicking on 'bookmark this page' brings up a drop down list, variable in height, of all my bookmark folders, and does 'top of the list' mean at the top of a sub folder in my bookmarks that I pick from the drop down list?
Makyen

Post by Makyen »

dougjp wrote:To me, the 'save new bookmarks at the top of the list' is fantastic news, thanks! As I don't have a separate computer to put FF57 on, could you clarify what happens? Ie; is it like Add Bookmark Here2 where clicking on 'bookmark this page' brings up a drop down list, variable in height, of all my bookmark folders, and does 'top of the list' mean at the top of a sub folder in my bookmarks that I pick from the drop down list?
Multiple versions of Firefox
It's easy to install multiple versions of Firefox on the same computer. You just need to specify a different directory for installation. On this computer I have 17 different versions of Firefox installed (which is a bit excessive, but they take very little room; each was necessary at some point for testing, but just have not been not cleaned up).

You can also have as many different profiles as you desire (as you might imagine, I have a large number, again most are for testing). If you start a new instance of Firefox (using the executable for whichever version you desire) and have it ask you which profile to use, you can start Firefox with the options:

Code: Select all

-no-remote -ProfileManager
The add-on, or any WebExtension
As to the add-on, as previously mentioned, it is not possible for a WebExtension to modify the Firefox "bookmark this page" menu or dialog, in any way. It's also not possible for WebExtensions to do anything to bookmark tags. It's also not possible for the WebExtension to cause the Edit bookmark dialog to open.

Thus, to have the capability to set a bookmark in a folder specified by the user at the time the bookmark is set and allow the user to set/edit the bookmark's tags, it must be (at best) a two step process for the user: Click to set in folder; click to open bookmark and edit.

It is possible to create a WebExtension which could present your bookmark tree and allow you to create a bookmark in a specific directory (and it could be specified that the bookmark will be at the top of the list). One way to do this would be to have it as a context menu for the tab and/or the add-on's browser/page button (untested; should work).
dougjp

Post by dougjp »

Thanks, especially the last paragraph which gives hope that such a thing will be created before June 2018. ESR is perfect for me until then.
Sleepwalker

Post by Sleepwalker »

gramesh_vns1 wrote:@Sleepwalker Which other addons you are using?
Happy I could help you!

I dont want to hijack this thread thus I'll just mention the most imortant ones:

Adblock+, RAMBack (saves ALOT of memory!), Self-Destructing Cookies, NoScript, Disable html5 fullscreen alert, Disable speculative pre-connections.

I would have installed the esr version if I had known about it earlier. Atm I dont want to change a running system.
snowcrash500

Post by snowcrash500 »

After using Firefox 57 for couple weeks, I found I couldn't live without ABM2. I've reinstalled 55.0.3 and very happy to see Firefox back to the way it was before with all the extensions working.

My question would be if anyone knows whether it is safe to use Firefox 55 for the foreseeable future? Are there any critical vulnerabilities we would see for not using the latest Firefox version?