[Ext] Brief 1.1 - feed reading extension

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
smacd75

Post by smacd75 »

Terrific extension!!!

It seems you and I share the same vision of what an RSS reader should be....keep up the good work!

Once you've added the ability to purge older stories from the database Brief will be perfect in my eyes.
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

nico(at)nc wrote:It seems that there are still few problems with 0.6 and Mac OSX: http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/3586/image3vx3.png

Darn. I have another guess on a fix, would you be able to test it if I sent it to you? I'm glad to see that at least the other problem is fixed.

smacd75 - thank you! The ability to purge old entries is already there in the next version. Brief 0.6 is ready and it is only waiting for translation to be finished.
nico(at)nc

Post by nico(at)nc »

Ancestor wrote:
nico(at)nc wrote:It seems that there are still few problems with 0.6 and Mac OSX: http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/3586/image3vx3.png

Darn. I have another guess on a fix, would you be able to test it if I sent it to you?

I don't use OSX (↓↓↓), but I know s.o. using it (the 2 screenshots are from him) who I can send it to check quickly. ;)
Nicolas
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

Ancestor, what do you think of userstyles.org rss "strange" behavior ?
http://userstyles.org/style/new_list/atom
Each time I update feed, there are some "unread" news. Yet, they're not updated/edited.
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

pirlouy wrote:Ancestor, what do you think of userstyles.org rss "strange" behavior ?
http://userstyles.org/style/new_list/atom
Each time I update feed, there are some "unread" news. Yet, they're not updated/edited.

There's something weird going on, probably messed up encoding or something. It doesn't look fixable on Brief's side.
doeddeldom

Post by doeddeldom »

I just installed the 0.6 version from babelzilla. Great improvements!

After installation in 50% of the feeds i got double entries. e.g. http://www.aintitcool.com/
New entries show up only once. So it seems to be a happing only after an upgrade from 0.5.2. Maybe some initialization problem!?
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

doeddeldom wrote:I just installed the 0.6 version from babelzilla. Great improvements!

After installation in 50% of the feeds i got double entries. e.g. http://www.aintitcool.com/
New entries show up only once. So it seems to be a happing only after an upgrade from 0.5.2. Maybe some initialization problem!?

It's not a problem per se, it's expected. I made a not backward-compatible change in the way entries are hashed which causes the initial duplication. Unfortunately, it's unavoidable. I will put this issue in the release notes.

Could you elaborate which improvements you like? Knowing what's right is just as important as knowing what's wrong. :)
smacd75

Post by smacd75 »

Just installed Brief 0.6 from babelzilla.....WOW!

I really like the 'delete' and 'star' buttons (as opposed to the old pull down menu)....nice touch.

Best of all I can choose the number of entries to save for each feed and decide how long I want to save them!

Still lightweight with all the feature I need....nice work!
Merlyel

Post by Merlyel »

Brief 0.6
Right-clicking in the feed-panel (not on any feed but on empty space) throws an exception:

Code: Select all

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsITreeContentView.getItemAtIndex]"  nsresult: "0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://brief/content/feedlist.js :: anonymous :: line 186"  data: no]

though it does not affect Briefs work (as far as I've seen).

Can't disable "Show notification when updates are found" option. That's extensions.brief.update.showNotification, right? It is set to true, but the checkbox for this option is not checked. Maybe because of:
<preference id="extensions.brief.database.showNotification"
name="extensions.brief.database.showNotification"
type="bool"

in options.xul? At least after changing database to update it works for me :)
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

Merlyel wrote:Brief 0.6
Right-clicking in the feed-panel (not on any feed but on empty space) throws an exception:

Code: Select all

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsITreeContentView.getItemAtIndex]"  nsresult: "0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://brief/content/feedlist.js :: anonymous :: line 186"  data: no]

though it does not affect Briefs work (as far as I've seen).

Good catch, thanks!

Can't disable "Show notification when updates are found" option. That's extensions.brief.update.showNotification, right? It is set to true, but the checkbox for this option is not checked. Maybe because of:
<preference id="extensions.brief.database.showNotification"
name="extensions.brief.database.showNotification"
type="bool"

in options.xul? At least after changing database to update it works for me :)

Yeah, that was a typo, I have already fixed it.
doeddeldom

Post by doeddeldom »

Ancestor wrote:Could you elaborate which improvements you like? Knowing what's right is just as important as knowing what's wrong. :)

- the new 'tooltip'
- the new delete/star GUI. MUCH BETTER! :)
- and the options for purging old entries
doutor.zero

Post by doutor.zero »

Ancestor,

I tried 0.6 and agreed that it's a big improvement over the previous one. Congratulations.

I had one small problem (please ignore it if this was reported before):

- The preferences aren't applied. I can only modify a option going in the about:config page.

Thanks.
Merlyel

Post by Merlyel »

doutor.zero
Which prefs can't be applied? Everything (except that I wrote about yesterday) works fine for me.
doutor.zero

Post by doutor.zero »

Merlyel wrote:doutor.zero
Which prefs can't be applied? Everything (except that I wrote about yesterday) works fine for me.

The option 'Open entries in new tab'. No matter if I select it or not, the option don't work until I modify it's entry in about:config.
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

doutor.zero wrote:
Merlyel wrote:doutor.zero

The option 'Open entries in new tab'. No matter if I select it or not, the option don't work until I modify it's entry in about:config.

That's true. Brief 0.6 hasn't been released yet, mind you, for precisely this reason - it's still incomplete and has some bugs. :P