[Ext] Brief 1.1 - feed reading extension

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

Hi, I'm glad you like Brief. As for your issue, feeds are stored in a file called brief.sqlite in your profile directory. In order to synchronize your feed between computers you'd have to copy this file every time.
burntvermin

Post by burntvermin »

When a feed is not well formed, e.g. the response dies before completing, the icon for the feed stays as a spinner and Brief will not recheck feeds at all until firefox is restarted.

From the error console:

Code: Select all

Error: not well-formed
Source File: [url snipped for privacy]
Line: 20, Column: 65
Source Code:
            <span><H1>Server Error in '/' Application.<hr width=100% size=1 color=silver></H1>----------------------------------------------------------------^
titerm

Post by titerm »

Nice extension... Just a suggestion, it should be cool to have something like throbber on the bottom left brief icon when breaf is refreshing feeds. It show that brief is not dead and still refreshing...
I can't reproduce it but sometime, brief dont refresh anymore even when i force a refresh all.
sje

Re: Issues on OSX?

Post by sje »

Ancestor wrote:andyed - I think I fixed it but I can't test it. It'd be great if you could verify the fix when the next version comes out.

I have this same issue on OS X. The problem is still there in Brief 0.5.2 Was that the version that should have had the fix? No feeds load at all. My error messages are identical to the ones posted by andyed.

I’m running OS X 10.4.9 and Firefox 2.0.0.2. I got the same errors when I tried Brief on a fresh Firefox profile.

I’m looking forward to using Brief. The screenshots look good. I don’t much like the other RSS options I’ve seen partly because they all use variations on the three panel format, so I’m glad that you decided to take a different approach.

One oddity in the interface on Mac OS X: when the Brief Options window is opened from the button on the Brief sidebar it shows up with no Okay or Cancel buttons. It also has no close button since it’s attached to the titlebar of the browser window and has no title bar of its own. (Cmd-W actually does work to close the window.)
sonicm

Brief - favicon beside the news

Post by sonicm »

Greetings.
I really like Brief. But one little improvment I´d like to have.

Every time I update my Brief, I get 200 new News. Thats great, but if I begin to fly over the Headlines I´d like to know from which page it comes.
[edit]
I mean I´ve got my Newsfeeds under serveral Folders. If I check the top folders I get all the messages from all subfeeds, so it is hard to see from which newsfeed the news come from.
[/edit]

Would it be possible to display an favicon from the newsfeed left or right beside the news? (or maybe the name of the feed)

Some news don´t sound very interesting, but if they come from, let´s say www.heise.de the are worth a look.

Is that possible?

Thx a lot for this great extension Maik
Ancestor

Re: Issues on OSX?

Post by Ancestor »

sje wrote:
Ancestor wrote:andyed - I think I fixed it but I can't test it. It'd be great if you could verify the fix when the next version comes out.

I have this same issue on OS X. The problem is still there in Brief 0.5.2 Was that the version that should have had the fix? No feeds load at all. My error messages are identical to the ones posted by andyed.

No, 0.5.2 doesn't contain the fix. I am putting together a new major release which I will get it out soon, hopefully .
I’m looking forward to using Brief. The screenshots look good. I don’t much like the other RSS options I’ve seen partly because they all use variations on the three panel format, so I’m glad that you decided to take a different approach.

Thanks, that was the idea. :)
One oddity in the interface on Mac OS X: when the Brief Options window is opened from the button on the Brief sidebar it shows up with no Okay or Cancel buttons. It also has no close button since it’s attached to the titlebar of the browser window and has no title bar of its own. (Cmd-W actually does work to close the window.)

Ugh, that's not good. The thing is that I have no possibility whatsoever to test Brief on Mac, hence all the bugs. :(

sonicm wrote:Every time I update my Brief, I get 200 new News. Thats great, but if I begin to fly over the Headlines I´d like to know from which page it comes.
(...)
Is that possible?

Certainly, I already added this, it'll be in 0.6.

Thx a lot for this great extension Maik

I'm glad you like it. :)
maoserr

Post by maoserr »

Nice extension, but I get repeated unread news sometimes. Sometimes I find myself reading a news story 3 or 4 times because it keeps getting mark unread even though I click 'mark read'.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Nice work. With a maxversion 'bump' it works in the Latest Nightly Minefiled builds as well.
Minefield = Future Firefox 3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9a3pre) Gecko/20070324 Minefield/3.0a3pre Firefox ID:2007032408 [cairo]
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Perhaps its due my use of Trunk builds, but there are no 'tool-tips' if you put the 'button' on the nav-bar, nor is there a tool-tip for the Icon in the statusbar.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9a3pre) Gecko/20070324 Minefield/3.0a3pre Firefox ID:2007032408 [cairo]
Vista HP
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

Littlemutt wrote:Perhaps its due my use of Trunk builds, but there are no 'tool-tips' if you put the 'button' on the nav-bar, nor is there a tool-tip for the Icon in the statusbar.

Vista HP

No, they're just not there yet. I'm gonna add them in the next version.

I knew Brief would probably work on trunk but I didn't want to set the maxVersion for 3.0, because it's too much additional effort to test it there. Nightly testers do know how to bump the maxVersion themselves, anyway. :)

Thanks!
nico(at)nc

Post by nico(at)nc »

Hello,

Few news from French Brief users :

A Brief user using Mac OSX made a screenshot of the problems he experienced with Brief on his OS here : http://www.geckozone.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52787, it may help you. ;)

On the French Brief presentation page, another suggested that you include .opml import/export...

Regards,
nico@nc (translator for French)
Nicolas
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

Thank you, nico. I have made some changes that *may* fix the two big problems that occur on OSX (feeds not updating and broken options window). I can't verify it, so I'm going to count on you guys to do it. The new version is ready, I'm going to send it to Babelzilla for translation very soon.
nico(at)nc

Post by nico(at)nc »

Hello,

I've noticed another small bug : when the favicon is more than 16*16px, it is not reduced so only a small part appears. A screenshot :

;)
Nicolas
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

It's a bug in Firefox, there's not much I can do about it. It'll be fixed in Firefox 3, though.
nico(at)nc

Post by nico(at)nc »

It seems that there are still few problems with 0.6 and Mac OSX: http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/3586/image3vx3.png
Nicolas