[Ext] Brief 1.1 - feed reading extension

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Here's what I tried in my style:

.article-container {
padding-bottom: 2cm;
background-color: #B0C4DE;
border: 2px #72745b solid;
-moz-border-radius: 2px;
margin: 0 1em 0.7em 1em;

All that did was add blank space at the bottom of articles; the odd scroll bar was still there, as the area of the text of the feed did not change.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Just noticed another oddity: As there were only twenty-four new entries in Brief, I looked at all of them at once, rather than feed by feed.

One of the twenty-four was a Slashdot entry, complete with its own scroll bar. Although that entry was there, it had no effect on my use of the space bar.

Something is spacey....
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Just a FYI: Brief is incompatible with Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b1) Gecko/2007110904 Firefox/3.0b1 - Build ID: 2007110904; that is Release Candidate 3 for Beta 1, and, therefore, changes are entirely likely before the official release of Beta 1.

This is just to alert you to the problem if you are not yet aware of it. I tried to override the incompatibility check, but that did not help.

(I did get it installed in a different profile, but found that, although it was there, it could not find the bookmark folders, and, thus, could not be used; that is, I suspect, part of its incompatibility. I had set at least two overrides to allow non-compatible extensions to be installed, just to see what would happen when they were installed. One small extension, for example, disabled the right-click menu on the tool bar, making it a wee bit difficult to change anything there. That's ignoring the odd bug that, if one does use the Customize menu, the toolbar becomes inactive and FF has to be restarted.)
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

Yeah, Brief doesn't work at all with Fx3 because of the new Bookmarks system. The next release after 1.0 will focus on making Brief compatible with Fx3.
Merlyel

Post by Merlyel »

Ancestor
Hi, got request: put updated items to bottom of page, not to the top. It looks a bit strange to have items from October to be before items from November :)
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

Merlyel, items are always sorted by date and when an item is updated it receives a newer date. Everything is perfectly logical to me.
war59312

Post by war59312 »

I would like to see an option that when you switch pages it marks the entire previous page you where reading as have been read. Thanks!
God Bless America
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

war59312, I think that if I was to provide a similar option, it would rather be to mark entries as read as you scroll through them, which would probably also cover your needs. I am not sure yet if I'm gonna do it, though. I always evaluate every feature very carefully before adding it, because above all I want to keep Brief simple.
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

Announcement: from now on please use the dedicated forum on brief.mozdev.org instead of this topic.

I will still follow this thread but it would be great if we could move the majority of the discussions to the dedicated forum on Brief's website. Thanks!
titerm

Post by titerm »

Try to used forum, but can't add post.

I may found a bug. I'm using the 1.03b but i noticed same pb with 0.8
I'm set filter to see only unread items.
When there is only one item to read, when i click on title, the entry is set to read, but article is not display. Only no unread item message is displayed.

Hope you will fixe the forum, it will be better that this huge thread.
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

The forum should be fixed now, I answered you there.
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

Brief 1.0 is released, available from http://brief.mozdev.org. Automatic updates will start when it is accepted in addons.mozilla.org.
war59312

Post by war59312 »

I tired posting over there too and just getting a blank white page when I try and login. :(

Ancestor wrote:war59312, I think that if I was to provide a similar option, it would rather be to mark entries as read as you scroll through them, which would probably also cover your needs. I am not sure yet if I'm gonna do it, though. I always evaluate every feature very carefully before adding it, because above all I want to keep Brief simple.

I would like that, still pretty simple if you ask me.
God Bless America
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

war59312 wrote:I tired posting over there too and just getting a blank white page when I try and login. :(

Ancestor wrote:war59312, I think that if I was to provide a similar option, it would rather be to mark entries as read as you scroll through them, which would probably also cover your needs. I am not sure yet if I'm gonna do it, though. I always evaluate every feature very carefully before adding it, because above all I want to keep Brief simple.

I would like that, still pretty simple if you ask me.

Let me rephrase this. Yes, this particular option would be pretty simple and adding it wouldn't carry much cost. However, there are requests for many simple features all the time, each of which makes some sense and is somewhat useful. When evaluating them separately you may be inclined to approve them thinking "sure, why not?" and very soon you'll find that tens of little features imperceptibly rendered the extension bloated.

How do you avoid it? You must have a vision of how the extension should look like and what are the primary use cases.
That's why I always look at the bigger picture before implementing a feature.
Merlyel

Post by Merlyel »

Ancestor
Can you add new view mode - without updated entries? :)