[Ext] Console² 0.3.7+ [2007-05-12]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Old Seamaiden

Post by Old Seamaiden »

What is the last version of Console2 (if any) that works in the following Gecko 1.7-based programs?
    * Firefox 1.0 - 1.0.8
    {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
    * Thunderbird 1.0 - 1.0.8
    {3550f703-e582-4d05-9a08-453d09bdfdc6}
    * Netscape 8.0 - 8.1.3
    {3db10fab-e461-4c80-8b97-957ad5f8ea47}
    * Nvu 1.0 / KompoZer 0.77
    {136c295a-4a5a-41cf-bf24-5cee526720d5}

If there is one, please provide a valid download link. If there isn't one, then I need a download link for last version of Console Filter (if there is a later version than 0.3) or other substitute. This is needed mainly for Nvu/KompoZer, but I will take whatever you have for the rest. Thank you.

NOTE: The AMO site only lists old versions of Console Squared back to 0.2.5, which requires Firefox/Thunderbird 1.5. And I briefly perused the previous thread here for Console2, but several of the links are invalid.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

seamaiden: There never was a Gecko 1.7 compatible version of Console² because of technical limitations (richlistbox requires Gecko 1.8). The latest Console Filter version can be found at its homepage - it's still version 0.3 though.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

zeniko wrote:seamaiden: There never was a Gecko 1.7 compatible version of Console² because of technical limitations (richlistbox requires Gecko 1.8). The latest Console Filter version can be found at its homepage - it's still version 0.3 though.
There seems to be still some demand for Console Filter. Do you mind if I host it as a subproject at http://console2.mozdev.org ? I've have a version of v0.3 that I've been bumping to keep it going on the latest releases of [insert your favourite app here].

In the latest testing version of of Console² I've removed the custom richlistbox overrride as Mossop complained over #irc that it was interfering with his ability to debug his changes to the trunk richlistbox (he was tearing his hair out wondering why his patches weren't working until he realised what was happening :) ). Now that most or all of your proposed fixes have made it to the trunk I'm thinking of dropping your custom version and adopting the current version from the trunk. This will make syncing the Console² version with trunk easier for me. But before I proceed, is there anything in the console2.xml binding that depend on features in your custom richlist binding and isn't in the trunk?

Phil
Old Seamaiden

Post by Old Seamaiden »

I would also be happy to host Console Filter at AMI. It can go into our new Nuv/KompoZer forum, for one. If there are changes to the 0.3 version other than bumps, please email me the file. Thanks.

Jane
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

seamaiden wrote:I would also be happy to host Console Filter at AMI. It can go into our new Nuv/KompoZer forum, for one. If there are changes to the 0.3 version other than bumps, please email me the file. Thanks.
Only bumps. The actual code seems relatively version proof.

Phil
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Philip Chee wrote:Do you mind if I host it as a subproject at http://console2.mozdev.org ?

Not at all. You could even try to include that hack of an extension into the intuitive UI Console² currently provides... e.g. as an (optional) extended search box available for toolbar customization.

Philip Chee wrote:In the latest testing version of of Console² I've removed the custom richlistbox override

I'd still prefer if that override continued to be there, since having FAYT in the extension manager is quite nice for Gecko 1.8 applications as well. Since the new richlistbox has mostly been stabilized, you should be able to just ship listbox.xml and richlistbox.xml from a current Trunk build though, so that Minefield testers won't really notice much of a difference; and additionally, you could comment out the override in testing versions - just keep them in regular releases.

Philip Chee wrote:is there anything in the console2.xml binding that depend on features in your custom richlist binding and isn't in the trunk?

There are a few overrides WRT item hiding you might have to slightly adapt (mainly <code>moveByOffset</code> and <code>addItemToSelection</code>) and <code>fayt_label</code> must be renamed to <code>searchLabel</code>. Apart from that, I don't know of any further relevant changes - however should there be, you'll find out soon enough. ;)

seamaiden wrote:I would also be happy to host Console Filter at AMI.

Please, go ahead: consider Console Filter released under the usual GPL/LGPL/MPL tri-license.
Old Seamaiden

Post by Old Seamaiden »

Can Zeniko and Philip Chee please see why Console² causes this problem in the NASA Night Launch theme?

Previous versions of Console² back to 0.3.6.3 cause the same issue in the Sidebar, Add-ons and EM/TM windows. So whenever I want to use NASA Night Launch as my Firefox theme, I must disable Console Squared so that the sidebar and EM/TM windows work properly.

If you would like to contact mcdavis941, the author of NASA Night Launch, you can send him a private message here at MZF.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Are you using a trunk build? In the last two lines in the chrome.manifest file comment out or remove the last two lines e.g.

Code: Select all

# override   chrome://global/content/bindings/richlistbox.xml   chrome://console2/content/richlistbox.xml
# override   chrome://global/skin/richlistbox.css   chrome://console2/skin/richlistbox.css

Phil
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

Philip,

I am using 2.0.0.5 and have the same issue using NNL theme as seamaiden describes.
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Cato62 wrote:Philip,

I am using 2.0.0.5 and have the same issue using NNL theme as seamaiden describes.

I'm sure this is something my theme will have to write custom rules to address, which I will do. I just have to dig into the DOM for Console² and see what it's doing, then write the appropriate rules. Still, if anybody wants to point out what parts of the Firefox UI I need to check out, that would help a lot.

In general, themes need to accommodate extensions, and not the other way around, as long as the extensions haven't done anything to make themselves unthemeable.
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
Old Seamaiden

Post by Old Seamaiden »

At the moment I am using Firefox 2.0.0.5. I have not tried NASA Night Launch on Gran Paradiso or Minefield. If I comment out those lines as you suggest, then the FAYT extension will no longer work, correct?
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

mcdavis941 wrote:I'm sure this is something my theme will have to write custom rules to address, which I will do. I just have to dig into the DOM for Console² and see what it's doing, then write the appropriate rules.
Console² uses a custom richlistbox binding and also applies it to all richlistbox widgets not just the one in the Console² window. You'll need to look at <code>chrome://console2/content/richlistbox.xml</code>. In future releases of Console² I'll probably switch to using the trunk (Gran Paradiso) version of the richlistbox widget.

Phil
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Philip Chee wrote:Are you using a trunk build? In the last two lines in the chrome.manifest file comment out or remove the last two lines e.g.

Code: Select all

# override   chrome://global/content/bindings/richlistbox.xml   chrome://console2/content/richlistbox.xml
# override   chrome://global/skin/richlistbox.css   chrome://console2/skin/richlistbox.css

Phil

What do people lose if they comment out these lines?

Also, is the restyling of the extensions list an intended effect or a side effect?

Thanks.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

mcdavis941 wrote:What do people lose if they comment out these lines?

Nothing that you would notice normally. Zeniko's custom richlistbox widget adds multi select and find as you type and several other enhancements that are now available on trunk builds.
mcdavis941 wrote:Also, is the restyling of the extensions list an intended effect or a side effect?
The widget has different internals so I suspect that custom themes don't have the right styles for this resulting in bits without any visibility.

Phil
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Phil: I just posted a reply to you here.