[Ext] Console² 0.3.7+ [2007-05-12]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Philip Chee wrote:
mrtech wrote:I'm having some problems with customizing the toolbar on my mac, I get the following error:

Error: gToolbox has no properties
Source file: chrome://global/content/customizeToolbar.js
Line: 20
Branch or Trunk? Apparently the move to Cocoa widgets has broken a lot of menu items on trunk and the Mac people are running around fixing all the breakage.

Phil

this is the 2.0.0.3 release build this happens on.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

mrtech wrote:this is the 2.0.0.3 release build this happens on.
If you use Ted's Extension Developers Extension, could you use the js-shell to execute this in the context of the Console² chrome window?
1. document.getElementById("ConsoleToolbox");
2. gToolbox

Also in the Customize Toolbar window what does: window.arguments[0] return?

Thanks.

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

mrtech wrote:Philip: new version works nicely with eMusic DLM
Hi there MRTech. I'm looking for a suitable 24x24px icon for the eMusic DLM for the Console² 0.3.7 entry on TEM found here:
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=6331

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Philip Chee wrote:
If you use Ted's Extension Developers Extension, could you use the js-shell to execute this in the context of the Console² chrome window?
2. gToolbox
I haven't heard back from you for a while. Any progress? Ta.

Phil
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Philip: I'll email you an icon and I've do some testing to see what messages pop up for error msgs, thanks.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

mrtech wrote:Philip: I'll email you an icon and I've do some testing to see what messages pop up for error msgs, thanks.
Received with thanks.

Phil
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Philip: I would absolutely love to see the Console Filter code merged into Console², is there any hope....

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=264146
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Philip Chee wrote:
2. gToolbox

not sure how to get js-shell in the context of the console window, but did an evaluate on alert(window.arguments[0]) and window.arguments has no properties, will check to see what it does on windows.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

mrtech wrote:not sure how to get js-shell in the context of the console window, but did an evaluate on alert(window.arguments[0]) and window.arguments has no properties, will check to see what it does on windows.
Hmm. Try using the Execute JS extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1729.

Phil
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

on ConsoleToolbox = toolbox object
on gToolbox = no result
window.arguments[0] = window.arguments has no properties
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

mrtech wrote:Philip: I would absolutely love to see the Console Filter code merged into Console², is there any hope....
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=264146
According to zeniko:
zeniko wrote:Not by me. In my taste, this extension is too much of a hack to enter into Console²'s code. Anyway, it currently still works fine for the nightlies - and will probably for quite a while (as long as you use MTLI to work around the maxVersion)...
And I've just bumped and tested Console Filter 0.3 on Minefield and as far as I can tell, it works fine with Console².

Phil
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

mrtech wrote:I would absolutely love to see the Console Filter code merged into Console²

The main reason why I've never done that is because I wanted to have Console² usable without having to read any instructions (without which Console Filter loses most of its power and may even cause confusion) so that it could be considered as a serious replacement for the original JavaScript Console. (And sure, the code was too hacky and I never felt that the filter language was nice enough, either.)

Besides, all the reasons I needed Console Filter for are now achievable through nicer means with Console² alone. I'd thus rather discuss a use case or two and consider some alternatives before talking once more about Console Filter...
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

zeniko wrote:Besides, all the reasons I needed Console Filter for are now achievable through nicer means with Console² alone. I'd thus rather discuss a use case or two and consider some alternatives before talking once more about Console Filter...

my primary usage for console filter is remove specific known errors/msgs to help me pinpoint real ones. For example I use rules like:

-chrome://foxytunes -chrome://google-toolbar

to remove errors/msgs that I don't want to see but show me all the msgs that I do want to see. Not sure how a normal user will get confused, if they type:

mysearchstring

console filter will show them msgs/errors that contain "mysearchstring", everyone else will know that you can use rules or regex or whatever to do the filter song and dance.

hack or not, it's a beaut, thanks.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

mrtech wrote:my primary usage for console filter is remove specific known errors/msgs to help me pinpoint real ones.

That's what message ignoring and domain blocking are for. The former will hide all messages of one type (identical message, source and line number) until you close the console, the latter will simply drop everything from one domain/extension forever¹.

In your examples, just block the domains <kbd>foxytunes</kbd> and <kbd>google-toolbar</kbd> and you should be fine.

mrtech wrote:Not sure how a normal user will get confused

She won't in your example, but as soon as she starts filtering for something containing quotes or starting with a hyphen - or even just enters a second word - she'll find that this search bar doesn't behave as the one in the bookmarks/history sidebars or Thunderbird's quick search...

¹ Known draw-back: domain blocking currently doesn't work with all Toolkit applications due to the "@mozilla.org/permissionmanager;1" component not being shipped everywhere. -- Phil: to work around this limitation, you could serialize <code>gBlacklist.mBlocking</code> into a pref and modify <code>domainlist.js</code> to use that pref instead of the permission manager...
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

zeniko wrote:¹ Known draw-back: domain blocking currently doesn't work with all Toolkit applications due to the "@mozilla.org/permissionmanager;1" component not being shipped everywhere. -- Phil: to work around this limitation, you could serialize <code>gBlacklist.mBlocking</code> into a pref and modify <code>domainlist.js</code> to use that pref instead of the permission manager...
Noted.

Phil