[Ext] Autofill Forms - Fill out web forms automatically.

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

The profile labels are used only for convenience - their identification is done by using their index.
But it's a good idea to check if a profile associated with the same label already exists - I'll put that on my TODO list. :)

The dateFormat rule is a good idea too - I think I'll add it to the default ruleset for the next version.
Soul Stealer

Post by Soul Stealer »

Getting a download error on your latest version. :(
It's like I said.
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

Try enabling JavaScript for blueimp.net/mozilla - the provided extensions will then be installed using a JavaScript routine which might work better.

If this doesn't work either, try right-click => save file ... and then install the extension locally from your harddisk.
Soul Stealer

Post by Soul Stealer »

Cool. That worked. * smacks forehead *

Now ..... just gotta figure out how to make it do what I want it to do. Thanks for the extension! :D

Edit: Question .... I have a page on my site that requires two passwords. Would this work for that or should I look at Secure Login?
It's like I said.
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

Nuttysman wrote:Cool. That worked. * smacks forehead *Edit: Question .... I have a page on my site that requires two passwords. Would this work for that or should I look at Secure Login?

Normally, I would advise you to use Secure Login, as it adds some security features.
But login pages with two passwords are recognized as password changing forms and thus you won't get a "Save password" dialog from Firefox Password manager.
Therefore, you might use Autofill Forms for that - remember to enable encryption if you use passwords or other sensitive information in Autofill Forms.
Soul Stealer

Post by Soul Stealer »

Okay, thanks. :D
It's like I said.
rbendett

Post by rbendett »

After one of the last updates to Autofill Forms I now get a Select alternative dialog whenever I use it. This did not occur on the earlier versions. Is there a way I can prevent this? And thanks for a great extension.
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

rbendett wrote:After one of the last updates to Autofill Forms I now get a Select alternative dialog whenever I use it. This did not occur on the earlier versions. Is there a way I can prevent this?

This feature is described <a href="jar:jar:https://blueimp.net/mozilla/xpi/autofill_forms-0.6.1-fx.xpi!/chrome/autofillforms.jar!/content/help/autofillFormsRuleSet.xhtml">here</a>:
The order of the rules is important as only the first matching rule is used for the form element input (except for multiple selections and checkboxes).
There is another exception if you define 'Alternatives'. Alternatives share the same field rule and must be placed next to each other, e.g. 'E-mail 2' following 'E-mail 1'. If both are enabled and both site rules match the current website, a selection prompt is displayed.

So possibly you have two rules sharing the same field rule places next to each other in the same profile.
noxhoej

Post by noxhoej »

Hi

How come Alternatives are only supported for text, textarea and password INPUTs and not for e.g. selects, checkboxes or radiobuttons? Those also seem to often be part of the forms I wish to autofill :-)

As an aside, it would also be nice if you allowed a rule to clear a checkbox INPUT - for instance by leaving the "Value:" field empty.
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

noxhoej wrote:How come Alternatives are only supported for text, textarea and password INPUTs and not for e.g. selects, checkboxes or radiobuttons? Those also seem to often be part of the forms I wish to autofill :-)

The reason lies in the way support for these is implemented:
If the 'Field rule' matches against selections, checkboxes or radio buttons it is only applied if the 'value' attribute of the form element or one of the form element options is exactly the same as the 'Value' item. This comparison doesn't use regular expressions and is case sensitive.

When checking on, for example, selections, Autofill Forms iterates through the selection options and searches a rule in the ruleset which matches both the name (fieldRule) and the value. So to be able to match not only one specific form but a broader range of existing forms it might be necessary to declare several rules using the same fieldRule but different values.
If I would use the technique for Alternatives (placing them next to each other), these non-alternatives (but still sharing the same field rule) couldn't be placed next to each other - which might lead to confusion.
The next reason against implementing this is the "use selected alternatives index for subsequent selections" option - this couldn't be used as the subsequent selections might not contain the selected alternative.
All together it would still be possible to use the "Alternatives" technique for non-multiple selections and radio buttons - but it would have some drawbacks. I would rather suggest to use profiles for this task - these can be switched quite easily using the "Profile Switcher".

noxhoej wrote:As an aside, it would also be nice if you allowed a rule to clear a checkbox INPUT - for instance by leaving the "Value:" field empty.

I'm sorry, with the current format of the ruleset it is not possible to use a blank value to uncheck a box. To decide if a checkbox shall be checked, Autofill Forms needs both the fieldRule and the Value - as there could be several checkboxes sharing the same "name" but with different values.
To decide if a checkbox should be unchecked I'd need another value - I could perhaps use the "Overwrite" setting for this. I'll think about it and maybe implement it for the next version.
noxhoej

Post by noxhoej »

I am not sure I understand all of your objections, but it is probably just because I can't comprehend all the different scenarios in which the extension might be used combined with the fact that changes needs to be kept backwards compatible with the way people expect their existing rules to behave.

madblueimp wrote:I would rather suggest to use profiles for this task - these can be switched quite easily using the "Profile Switcher".

My sets of values for form fields (names, addresses, etc.) seems to change very infrequent, whereas I frequently have to change field rules when I encounter a form where one or more form field names for some reason do not match the existing field rules. This gives a maintenance "headache" because the field rule is replicated for each alternative or profile. The main reason I opted for using alternatives instead of profiles, was that the information could then be exported/imported in one file instead of one file for each profile, making the field rules far easier to update in an external editor.

At least in my type of usage, it would seem better if you could somehow just define the field rule (or field rule/site rule combined) once and then specify a set of alternatives for a given field rule. This way a field rule would only need to be updated in one place whenever a "non-matching" form was encountered - as opposed to once for each alternative/profile.

I understand that this would be a major change, so it is not something I expect to be "fixed". It is mainly written as "food for thought" :-)
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

I think it's understandable that I can't implement every feature wish - nonetheless "food for thought" like you call it, ideas from users like you brought development of Secure Login & Autofill Forms to what it is today - I don't think it would be this feature rich without it.

In fact, Autofill Forms emerged because of users requesting functionality that was missing in Secure Login. :)
MiloShapiro

Post by MiloShapiro »

I have a form I fill in through my local school district as much as 25 times in a day (I sub teach for them) and, every time, it asks for my User ID and a PIN.

I'm on a home computer so I'm really not worried about anyone else seeing my info, but there’s no way to save it in their system. When I discovered Fireform, I thought, “Hooray!”

Using the main panel of Fireform, I added the new fields I see named in the html of the school webpage (called userID and userPin).

I put the values in the value field (let’s say that userID was 123456 and userPin was WXYZ).

When I do my ctnl-J to prefill the field, it filled the field with whatever happened to be the first field in the long list Fireform gives you (it happened to be my email).

When I tried moving my two fields to the top of the list, it then worked a bit better, but prompts me with a little box to “select alternatives” and I had to choose between 123456 and WXYZ from a list twice in order to fill each box...not what I think Fireform means by prefilling. I THINK the point of giving the fields the exact name is so that Cntl-J knows just what I want in each field, no?

Plus, when I get to the next screen I wanted to put in different pre-fills for BeginDate and EndDate, the same two options come up every time: WXYZ and 123456!

Can you see what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks so much, strangers!
Milo in San Diego
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

Autofill Forms is not Fireform
Fireform is another form filler extension from another author (Jean-Marc Bastide).

But judging from your explanations I guess you still installed Autofill Forms, so I'll try to help you out.

First you should, if not done already, read the provided help of Autofill Forms - best go through all the subjects and maybe this will be enough to help you out.
Perhaps you've just mistaken the "Name" field for the form fields "name" attribute. In Autofill Forms, the Name is just a label to identify the rule. The "fieldRule" is used to determine the "name" attribute of the form field.

It would help me if you could provide me with the page that contains the form, so I can have a look at it.
If access is restricted you could perhaps post the HTML source of it here.
MiloShapiro

Post by MiloShapiro »

Madblue, what a great, quick answer! First, you're so right about the name mix-up. My blunder! Fireform was one I looked at and decided against; Autoforms it was and is!

Also, you are absolutely right about my misunderstanding the Name field, even after looking at the help files (too quickly, I guess). I'm not familiar with the formatting of rules, but I went back and took a chance that I needed to put "userID" and "userPin" in the fieldRule field as well. It worked beautifully on the first try! And now that I've loaded the pencil icon, it prefills without even having to let go of my mouse to cntl-J. Hooray!

New question, now that I'm excited about using this: On the second screen that I go to, I have to enter a beginDate and an endDate. The end date will vary, but 99% of the time, beginDate is today's date. Is there anything I can put in the fieldRule such that it would prefill with today's date in mm/dd/yyyy format?

If you'd prefer to take this offline, I've temporarily posted my email address for you at http://www.improventures.com/play/play2.htm . Or if you feel this is valuable for others. that's fine too!
Milo in San Diego