[Ext] Speed Dial 0.1 : 4-15-2007

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

MrMystery wrote:Excellent extension! Here are a few ideas:

1. Implement CTRL+ALT+[#] to open Speed Dials in a new tab. This would be very handy.

Absolutely. Also, it's reallly easy to add, so I'll make sure that it's on the next release.

MrMystery wrote:2. Include a way to manually edit Speed Dial links. One way to do this would be to create a Speed Dial folder under bookmarks containing the shortcuts, though some people may not like this idea. Just a thought...

I'm planning to add that editing feature as a contextual menu option for the Speed dial thumbnails. That is coming with the thumbnail refresh feature! However, it will still take a while (but not too long!).

MrMystery wrote:3. Be more consistent with menu organisation. Have the 'Set as Speed Dial' entry below 'Bookmark This Page/Tab' on every menu. For even greater consistency, might 'Set This Tab as Speed Dial' be better? (Sorry for being so pedantic.)

Thanks for all your hard work! :)

Is there any menu I skipped? I'm pretty sure I placed it everywhere...

Also, you're right about that string. I'll change it! :)
MrMystery

Post by MrMystery »

joseprio wrote:
MrMystery wrote:Excellent extension! Here are a few ideas:

1. Implement CTRL+ALT+[#] to open Speed Dials in a new tab. This would be very handy.

Absolutely. Also, it's reallly easy to add, so I'll make sure that it's on the next release.

Thanks!

joseprio wrote:
MrMystery wrote:2. Include a way to manually edit Speed Dial links. One way to do this would be to create a Speed Dial folder under bookmarks containing the shortcuts, though some people may not like this idea. Just a thought...

I'm planning to add that editing feature as a contextual menu option for the Speed dial thumbnails. That is coming with the thumbnail refresh feature! However, it will still take a while (but not too long!).

Yep, that's a better way of doing it.

joseprio wrote:
MrMystery wrote:3. Be more consistent with menu organisation. Have the 'Set as Speed Dial' entry below 'Bookmark This Page/Tab' on every menu. For even greater consistency, might 'Set This Tab as Speed Dial' be better? (Sorry for being so pedantic.)

Thanks for all your hard work! :)

Is there any menu I skipped? I'm pretty sure I placed it everywhere...

Also, you're right about that string. I'll change it! :)

Sorry I should have been more clear with this. I meant that, on the context menu, 'Set as Speed Dial' appears underneath 'Bookmark This Page', whereas on the Bookmarks menu it appears underneath 'Bookmark All Tabs'. I was wondering weather it would be neater to have it directly underneath 'Bookmark This Page' on every menu.

On a similar note, when right-clicking on a thumbnail, 'Open in New Tab' appears before 'Open in New Window'. Could this be reversed to match every other Fx menu?

Finally, how about adding CTRL+SHIFT+8 [i.e. CTRL+*] as a shortcut for opening the Speed Dial tab? you could then have CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+8 to open it in a new tab.

I hope you're not offended by my nitpicking. I'm very grateful for this extension, as I've been looking for something to perform this task for a while.
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

I just uploaded a new version of Speed Dial (0.3) here.
I won't be uploading it to AMO yet, because there are still a couple of loose ends that I want to solve (icon loading, "drag & drop", and export). However, I already said I would make a release now, and I think it's working quite well at the moment. Also, it's good to test a new feature like this before releasing it to the "mass public".
Basically, this version adds:
  • Thumbnail add and edit dialog (click on an unassigned thumbnail, or right click -> "Edit")
  • Thumbnail refreshing, both automatic (1 day by default, can be edited) and manual (right click on thumbnail -> "Refresh")
  • Background browser's width and height can be customized using the options panel

Granted, it's a short list, but implementing it has been a bit troublesome. I'll be adding a lot more features in the coming months, so be patient ;)
ne081

Post by ne081 »

joseprio wrote:I just uploaded a new version of Speed Dial (0.3) here.
I won't be uploading it to AMO yet, because there are still a couple of loose ends that I want to solve (icon loading, "drag & drop", and export). However, I already said I would make a release now, and I think it's working quite well at the moment. Also, it's good to test a new feature like this before releasing it to the "mass public".
Basically, this version adds:
  • Thumbnail add and edit dialog (click on an unassigned thumbnail, or right click -> "Edit")
  • Thumbnail refreshing, both automatic (1 day by default, can be edited) and manual (right click on thumbnail -> "Refresh")
  • Background browser's width and height can be customized using the options panel
Granted, it's a short list, but implementing it has been a bit troublesome. I'll be adding a lot more features in the coming months, so be patient ;)

Wanted to drop in and say excellent job on the background browser.I had faith that you could pull it off.haha

Oh,one thing i thought that may be another good feature for a future version would be to add a zoom/zoom on hover that is similar to the one you have in showcase.So if we hover the mouse over it will zoom closer and have the level of zoom user configurable like showcase as well.Possibly allow us to scroll up and down the page like the tab scope extension does as well maybe?This would make it even easier to tell if there have been changes to the page without actually having to load up the link.Just a few thoughts for future versions.

Thanks again for this and the showcase extension.Both are two of my favs!
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

ne081 wrote:Wanted to drop in and say excellent job on the background browser.I had faith that you could pull it off.haha

Oh,one thing i thought that may be another good feature for a future version would be to add a zoom/zoom on hover that is similar to the one you have in showcase.So if we hover the mouse over it will zoom closer and have the level of zoom user configurable like showcase as well.Possibly allow us to scroll up and down the page like the tab scope extension does as well maybe?This would make it even easier to tell if there have been changes to the page without actually having to load up the link.Just a few thoughts for future versions.

Thanks again for this and the showcase extension.Both are two of my favs!

Yes, the background browser is working quite well! Also, I'll be adding the capability to disable plugins on it, and also a "small screen rendering" mode (so thumbnails will be readable...

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll keep them in mind for future releases ;)
ne081

Post by ne081 »

Excellent,i was wondering if you were going to disable plugins.I never gave thought to having an option for that though.Thats interesting,as we would be able to play a song or some other sort of plugin based multimedia through the background browser theoretically right,granted if plugins was turned on?If so,that could be an interesting feature.But the option to disable plugins definitely sounds great either way,that way we dont have things playing or autostarting in background without us being aware of it.

Now that small screen rendering really sounds awesome,cant wait to see how that pans out! Great job again on this!
s66v

preview refresh

Post by s66v »

Hi,
I was waiting eagerly for the preview refresh functionality of speed dial (background browser). However not sure why I dont see any refresh to my previews. Neither the time setting, nor the refresh menu is refreshing the website previews. Please let me know what may I be doing wrong ? How do I ensure that the background browser is running ? I see only one instance of firefox in the task manager.
thanks
s66v

Post by s66v »

follow up on previous post -> the refresh thumbnails started working after I restarted the browser. thanks for the feature.
freeman3

Post by freeman3 »

good idea but i would be great if it could show larger image onmouseover like showcase do. thanks
eilegz

Post by eilegz »

great extension the only thing i notice its that its very slow when it open a new tab
"People willing to trade their freedom for security deserve neither and will lose both."
"When someone's heart has no love there is no life nor hope"
"When happiness fades away only sadness remain"
ne081

Post by ne081 »

freeman3 wrote:good idea but i would be great if it could show larger image onmouseover like showcase do. thanks

Yeah,i already requested that and i think it should be appearing in future releases from what i understand
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

ne081 wrote:
freeman3 wrote:good idea but i would be great if it could show larger image onmouseover like showcase do. thanks

Yeah,i already requested that and i think it should be appearing in future releases from what i understand

I think it would be nice to have, so I'll add it if it's possible! ;)
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

eilegz wrote:great extension the only thing i notice its that its very slow when it open a new tab

This will be solved in a future release...
freeman3

Post by freeman3 »

i have also noticed a conflict with web developer. it block opening tabs from developer
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

freeman3 wrote:i have also noticed a conflict with web developer. it block opening tabs from developer

Yes, I'll also look into that... should be easy to solve :)