[Ext] Speed Dial 0.1 : 4-15-2007

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Old joseprio

[Ext] Speed Dial 0.4 : 8-19-2007

Post by Old joseprio »

This is an extension that is similar to a new feature from Opera, "Speed Dial".

With Speed Dial, you can easily access your most used websites. To show the Speed Dial tab, use the Speed Dial button (which can be added to the toolbar), or enter "chrome://speeddial/content" in your location bar.

To assign one website to Speed Dial, use the new "Set as Speed Dial" option in the bookmarks menu, or right click on the tab you want to add, and choose "Set as Speed Dial". That option is also available in the contextual area menu.

Speed Dial will be automatically loaded in blank new windows. It can also load in blank new tabs. To configure this, and other options, use the extension settings panel.

Get it here.
Last edited by Old joseprio on August 19th, 2007, 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
s66v

Post by s66v »

The extension works great. Even better than Opera. Great Work !
Just a couple of comments:
1> My address bar is now showing a hazy speed-dial icon on the right. Could be a conflict with my theme (I'm using macfoxII).
2> Is there a way to change the number of grids in speed-dial from say 3x3 cells to 3x2 cells, since I may not need so many cells. Also it would be great if you could tell me if its possible to do a periodic refresh of the grid cells ( so that it refreshes the web-pages).

thanks !
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

s66v wrote:The extension works great. Even better than Opera. Great Work !

Thanks!

s66v wrote:Just a couple of comments:
1> My address bar is now showing a hazy speed-dial icon on the right. Could be a conflict with my theme (I'm using macfoxII).

I'll install that theme and try it :)

s66v wrote:2> Is there a way to change the number of grids in speed-dial from say 3x3 cells to 3x2 cells, since I may not need so many cells. Also it would be great if you could tell me if its possible to do a periodic refresh of the grid cells ( so that it refreshes the web-pages).

This can be done by modifying the userChrome.css . You should add:

Code: Select all

#speeddial7, #speeddial8, #speeddial9 { display: none !important; }

More information from userchrome.css here.

I think this should do the trick!
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

s66v wrote:1> My address bar is now showing a hazy speed-dial icon on the right. Could be a conflict with my theme (I'm using macfoxII).

I installed that theme, and the icon looks as expected. Can you be more specific about the problem, or send me an screenshot? In this case, I can send you my email address by PM.
Old ehbien

Post by Old ehbien »

Was really excited to try this as I admire your work w/ Showcase, but it isn't playing well w/ Aluminium Kai theme. Note the painful screenshot:
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

ukegirlie wrote:Was really excited to try this as I admire your work w/ Showcase, but it isn't playing well w/ Aluminium Kai theme. Note the painful screenshot:

Keep in mind that this is the very first version, so it's normal that there are bugs :)

I'll install that theme and try to solve that problem as soon as possible!
Old ehbien

Post by Old ehbien »

Thanks!
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

ukegirlie wrote:Thanks!

Just tried the theme, but everything is looking good. I think that maybe there's a conflict between Speed Dial and another extension. Could you list your extension list? You may do that easily using MrTech Local Install (or other extensions designed for that purpose).
s66v

Post by s66v »

Please see the screenshot below. Look at the right hand side of the address-bar, it seems that the RSS icon was replaced by a bungled SpeedDial icon. The problem could be due to AIOS toolbar that I have (since the other user seems to have a similar probelm too and seems to be using AIOS).

Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

s66v wrote:Please see the screenshot below. Look at the right hand side of the address-bar, it seems that the RSS icon was replaced by a bungled SpeedDial icon. The problem could be due to AIOS toolbar that I have (since the other user seems to have a similar probelm too and seems to be using AIOS).

Yes, the common factor here seems to be AIOS, and using a toolbar.

I double checked the buttons my extension adds, and they're absolutely standard. Maybe there is some initialization problem. Perhaps uninstalling and then reinstalling AIOS should help. That way, AIOS will be initialized after Speed Dial. I'll try to reproduce the error anyways.
s66v

Post by s66v »

Thanks. I'll try to change the install order for them.

I tried the 3X2 cells setting in userChrome, but it did not seem to work. This is what I added, does it need to be added at a specific place in the file ?

The extension seems pretty slick. How do I make the speedDial auto-refresh itself after say 20 minutes, so that the previews show the latest content always ? With that, it would be a killer app !
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

s66v wrote:Thanks. I'll try to change the install order for them.

I tried the 3X2 cells setting in userChrome, but it did not seem to work. This is what I added, does it need to be added at a specific place in the file ?

The extension seems pretty slick. How do I make the speedDial auto-refresh itself after say 20 minutes, so that the previews show the latest content always ? With that, it would be a killer app !

I tried the code I sent you before, and it's obviously not working... First of all, you need to add that line on a new file called userContent.css. Place the following code there:

Code: Select all

#speeddialGrid row:last-child { display: none !important; }

Now it should work (at least, it does in my computer! :)).
s66v

Post by s66v »

Wonderful ! The 3X2 matrix works now !
The icon problem still persists.

thanks.
s66v

Post by s66v »

Just to add to above post, the Opera style periodic reload of the thumbnails is missing. The opera feature was covered in a lot of news items, and I guess once your extension incorporates it, it would be hailed as Firefox's triumph over Opera. :-)
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

s66v wrote:Just to add to above post, the Opera style periodic reload of the thumbnails is missing. The opera feature was covered in a lot of news items, and I guess once your extension incorporates it, it would be hailed as Firefox's triumph over Opera. :-)

Yes, that feature isn't available yet... I'll try to add that! :)