New Theme: NASA Night Launch

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mcdavis

New Theme: NASA Night Launch

Post by mcdavis »

The NNL project has ended.

Thank you all for the chance to be part of something incredible. Every single bit of it was worth the effort. And nine years isn't such a bad run.

mcdavis
November 13, 2017

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Compatibility: Firefox 38 and up
Download: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4908
Support: This thread (the one you're reading right now)
Tweaks and Mods: http://mcdavis.dreamhosters.com/starfield/mods.html
Subscribable News Feed: http://mcdavis.dreamhosters.com/nnlopenbeta/feed.xml

If you don't feel like reading this whole thread, just post your question at the end and we'll start from there. All questions are good questions.

Firefox Version Compatibility

This theme is compatible with Firefox 38 and up.

When used with Firefox betas, this theme is a beta too. Support for new Firefox versions won't be complete until those versions are officially completed and released.

Firefox 3.5.x support has ended with NNL version 0.6.20100924. Version 0.6.20100827 is the last version to support Firefox 3.5.x.

Firefox 3.0.x support has ended with NNL version 0.6.20100415. Version 0.6.20100314 is the last version to support Firefox 3.0.x. If you're a Firefox 3.0.x user and still want to install the theme, you can install NNL version 0.6.20100314 by following these instructions.

Firefox 2 support has ended with NNL version 0.6.20090616. If you're a Firefox 2 user and still want to install the theme, you can install NNL version 0.6.20090524 (the last NNL version to support Firefox 2) by following these instructions.

Mac/OS X Compatibility

On OS X, this theme is compatible with Firefox as stated above, the same as for MSWindows and Linux.

Proper styling of the Firefox Bookmarks and History Menus on OS X (where they appear in the desktop menubar) is now built in. You don't need to do anything else to enable this -- beginning with NNL version 0.6.20091031, this Just Works(tm).

If you're a Mac user and you've been using userstyle 11097 to fix up the OS X menubar with NNL, you can stop using it. You won't need that anymore, once you've upgraded to NNL 0.6.20091031.

About Personas Support

Firefox itself no longer allows the use of themes like NNL with Persona-themes. You can preview the Persona, but if you install and select a Persona, you're prompted to switch back to the default theme to use it. You used to be able to use both at the same time, but that's not how it is any more.

Hi all,

New theme, available for public download: NASA Night Launch.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4908

It's a dark theme (kind of like the night ...) so this one is mostly for people running dark desktops. I'm really interested in getting feedback from some of these people about how the contrast/levels work for them. This is still Beta, and I plan on tweaking based on what I hear back.

Check it out. I hope you like it.

Main Browser Window

Here's the main browser window.

Extras

NASA Night Launch comes with several extras. For the whole list, see http://home.comcast.net/~username54321/ ... xtras.html.

Subskins

There's a couple ways you can tweak the toolbar to put some NASA images in it. These are implemented with subskins. Check out http://home.comcast.net/~username54321/ ... skins.html to see the list of all subskins and for instructions.

The main ones you want to try are:

@import url("chrome://global/skin/subskins/style-1/subskin.css");

@import url("chrome://global/skin/subskins/style-2/subskin.css");

and

@import url("chrome://global/skin/subskins/style-3/subskin.css");

Here's a picture that shows the toolbar four different ways.

The default appearance (with no subskins) changed with the 20070921 release. For comparison, here's how it used to work.

Desktop Integration

Wondering how it'll look with your desktop? Here's a screenshot showing NNL used with the Noir Windows XP desktop theme. Thanks to tk_masta for the screenshot. (Used with permission.)

Supporting Windows

Some supporting windows.

Extension Compatibility

NASA Night Launch has been tested with many extensions and has specific rules for some of the most popular. NNL has been tested with:

- 2 Pane Bookmarks, Adblock, Adblock Plus, Bookmark Duplicate Detector, Chatzilla, Chrome List, Colorzilla, Console2, CoolIris Previews, Custom Buttons2, Document Map, DOM Inspector, Download Manager Tweak, DownloadHelper, DownThemAll, Duplicate Tab, Extension Developer, Favicon Picker 2, FaviconizeTab, FilterSet.G Updater, Find Toolbar Tweaks, Firebug, Firefox Companion for Ebay, FireFTP, Firekeeper, Firesomething, Fission, FlashGot, Fotofox, Foxytunes, Fullerscreen, Gmail Manager, GooglePreview, Greasemonkey, IE Tab, ImageBot, InspectorWidget, InterClue, LiveClick, Media Pirate, MTLI (MR Tech Local Install), MSTS-Dictionary, New Tab Homepage, PDF Download, PicLens, Rainbowpicker, RoboForm (XP), Sage, ScribeFire, Show MyIP, Splash, StumbleUpon, Stylish, Tab Mix Plus, Talkback, Thumbstrips, UI Tweaker, UnPlug, URL Fixer, User Agent Switcher, viewComments, Web Developer, Wizz RSS News Reader, and more.

Here are screenshots of windows for Colorzilla, Chatzilla, Splash, DownThemAll, Imagebot, and ScribeFire.

Empty Tab Background Image

To add a background image to the about:blank page (empty tab):

1 - Get the add-on Stylish
2 - Restart Firefox
3 - Install Userstyle 11979 - NASA Night Launch - Launch Image for Empty Tabs in Stylish

That's it.

Update 2009-May-20: The use of userContent.css to style empty tabs with NASA Night Launch is now un-recommended. Using Stylish is the better way. See this post later in this thread for full details.

Last edited by mcdavis on November 13th, 2017, 10:10 pm, edited 131 times in total.
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

Nice job, mcdavis941!! Can't wait to start fully playing with this one! :)
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Latest Release: June 6, 2007 (0.4.20070605)
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Latest Release: June 9, 2007 (0.5.20070609)
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
Soul Stealer

Post by Soul Stealer »

Love this with the exception of not being able to use small icons. :)
It's like I said.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Thanks Nuttysman! It's been fun. All that great NASA rocket pr0n err I mean content.
Soul Stealer

Post by Soul Stealer »

I'll bet.

Any chance of making it so we can use the smaller icons?

:D
It's like I said.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Eventually. I'm waiting for a while to hear what feedback I get before I put on the finishing touches.

I take it you usually use Firefox with small icons?
Soul Stealer

Post by Soul Stealer »

Always. I have all my toolbars in one row so space is at a premium. :P

(I have a widescreen monitor which allows me to do this.)

Plus I think the smaller icons are sleeker and better looking. Just my opinion.

:D
It's like I said.
MDNW2007

Post by MDNW2007 »

Thanks looks great
DMCrimson

Post by DMCrimson »

Heh, if only someone would suggest me a good dark Mac OS X Theme, I'd use this one... I just hate the resizer that X uses...
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Latest Release: June 13, 2007 (0.5.20070613)
Eyes-Only

Post by Eyes-Only »

Gorgeous and... well... breath-taking! Where's my oxygen tank? I need a hit of air after sitting here starring at these screenies! You've really outdone yourself here Mac! No doubt about it! Where on earth can a man go after creating as beautiful an artwork as this?

And with that said: Any chance for a TBird companion for those of us who like our apps to match? ;)

Also: Truly awesome signature file as well Mac. I'm clipping that one for my TagZilla. Thanks. :) How true those words are!

Keep up the fabulous work! You've definitely made MY day!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
--
"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a person in need and heal them." KDpup-484, LucidPup-511, SM2+/FX4+/TB31+
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

@Eyes-Only:

Thank YOU for the kind words! I love my NASA images and I love my Firefox, and now I can have both at once. I only wish there were more places on Firefox to hang more pictures ... so ... who knows, maybe Thunderbird.

It's a beautiful subject; I can only try to do it justice. Audacious, astounding, beautiful, a triumph, ferocious and fragile, gone too fast, worth it anyway. A metaphor for just about anything you want.

Now YOU'VE made MY day. Thank you again!
Last edited by mcdavis on February 4th, 2010, 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Eyes-Only

Post by Eyes-Only »

Wonderful words to an awe-inspiring piece of machinery my friend! Have you ever had the luck of seeing BOTH the Shuttle and the ISS gliding silently through the nighttime sky overhead? I have---and what a beautiful sight to behold! I've told those who've seen it with me, "That's our little city up there in space. And there are people in that bright dot of light... working, going about their daily lives, doing science, furthering our knowledge of space. Yet even more importantly: They're people from around the globe. Mankind, working together in Harmony and NOT fighting. If they can do it...?"

Well, the answer's rather obvious. ;)

It's going to be a sad day when they retire those birds! But O! The excitement awaiting us in the wings!

Dream BIG Mac---and keep reaching for those stars! :)

(So as to keep this thread on track "somewhat": You didn't tell people about that throbber! At least I didn't see it mentioned above. I'll have to go back and re-read this carefully with my magnifying glass as I don't recall having seen it. But that's the most unique throbber I've ever seen! If they ever gave awards for browser throbbers yours would win top prize Mac no questions asked! People should install this theme just to be entertained by that throbber!)

Amicalement mon ami,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
--
"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a person in need and heal them." KDpup-484, LucidPup-511, SM2+/FX4+/TB31+