New Theme: NASA Night Launch

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

flub wrote:Just wanted to say thanks for a great theme

Glad you like it, flub. Feedback is always welcome.
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
flub

Post by flub »

I don't suppose you will ever consider doing a NASA version for Thunderbird?
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Yeah, probably someday, but for now I'm saving myself until I see how much work the port to Firefox 3 will involve.

FYI, I have run it with both Tb 1.5 and Tb 2.0 (with install.rdf tweaked so it'll install). The theme rules for generic "toolkit" objects like menus, buttons, add-ons manager and so on all work equally well for Tb and Fx. Of course, that still leaves the Tb icon set, which is the time-consuming part. I'll have to let my themes mojo recharge a bit before I take that on. :)
Last edited by mcdavis on June 26th, 2007, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flub

Post by flub »

No worries :) Thanks for the reply.
skm-industries

Post by skm-industries »

Hi, LOVE this theme, best dark theme i can find.

I have a question or two....

1. I want to disable all the pictures in the theme, but i'm a 'code tard' CSS confuses me.
2. I would like to have a slightly more compact version, far as i can see, it's the nav buttons that are making it large, now, i'm assuming if i simply re-size the source file, i could make that particular are a little thinner.. am i right?
3. I would like to have no icons next to items on the bookmarks toolbar.
e_deviant

Post by e_deviant »

anybody can help me please...

i could not change the subskins..

i even tried copying the example already but wont work..

main browser window is still plain white...

e~mail = e_deviant@hotmail.com

thank you in advance.

your kindness will be highly appreciated..
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

skm-industries wrote:Hi, LOVE this theme, best dark theme i can find.

Thanks skm. Is this you? http://skm-industries.deviantart.com/gallery/ If so I'm really digging some of your work.

1. I want to disable all the pictures in the theme, but i'm a 'code tard' CSS confuses me.

I'm not sure there's an easy way to do this.

Also, in a lot of cases the colors of everything else in the window are set to contrast against the background images, and if you took out the background some things would become invisible/hard to read.

2. I would like to have a slightly more compact version, far as i can see, it's the nav buttons that are making it large, now, i'm assuming if i simply re-size the source file, i could make that particular are a little thinner.. am i right?

You could just resize the source file, although the image quality would degrade a bit. Some of the icons were just scaled down to current size from larger source, but many had by-hand-editing after scaling to the current size so that borders would have just the right weight (and in particular be exactly one pixel wide). You'd lose a lot of that if you scaled it again. You could always try it and see.

Also, you'd have to write some userChrome.css rules to use your smaller icons. You wouldn't get what you want just by replacing the source file.

FYI the default Firefox theme has 23x23 icons and mine are 24x24 or 23x23.

It's true that the nav buttons are making it a little big, but part of that is because I put extra padding between the button icon and the button border. I like the rectangular (wider rather than square) shape which is why. You could write some userChrome.css rules to go with less padding.

I will eventually be making small icons, maybe that's what you really want?

3. I would like to have no icons next to items on the bookmarks toolbar.

Entirely possible, but I don't know how at the moment. Maybe someone else can help with that.

HTH.
skm-industries

Post by skm-industries »

Hey, thanks for the quick reply, and indeed yes, that is me, and thanks ^_^

I think, after that (very useful) explanation, I shall not tweak the theme, there's nothing wrong with it, it's just because I'm a fussy sod! hehe!

Again; Thanks! that has answered pretty much everything in, well, just the right way, informative, without confusing me :)
Cheers mate.

And i look forward to seeing more dark themes from you! A rare breed!
xPLAN303Ex

Post by xPLAN303Ex »

Does this work in Mac OSX? I installed it and it is usable, but I can't edit the UserChrome.css file, I don't have one! Spotlight doesn't find any file with that name on my hard drive.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

If you want to use the original Firefox throbbers, add these lines to your userChrome.css

Code: Select all

#navigator-throbber {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/throbber/Throbber-small.png") !important;
}

#navigator-throbber[busy="true"] {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/throbber/Throbber-small.gif") !important;
}

toolbar[mode="text"] #navigator-throbber {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/throbber/Throbber-small.png") !important;
}
toolbar[mode="text"] #navigator-throbber[busy="true"] {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/throbber/Throbber-small.gif") !important;
}
DMCrimson

Post by DMCrimson »

xPLAN303Ex : you'r userChrome.css is located at ~/Library/Application Support/FireFox/Profiles/###insertprofilename###/chrome/ , most likely there's none yet created... I'd suggest you install MR Tech's Local Install, which adds an editor for certain chrome files to your firefox. If you want to do it by some other editor, simply save it to said location.

For further information, see KBase
stridoca

Post by stridoca »

I really LOVED this theme, but I don't like the rocket and NASA stuff :(
Could you make a code to take out all rocket images? Some other people will like it too, I think.. hope you do it! thanks!
Soul Stealer

Post by Soul Stealer »

Would kind of defeat the whole purpose of the theme, don't ya think?

There are plenty of dark-colored themes out there if that's all ya want.
It's like I said.
stridoca

Post by stridoca »

yeah I think the same.. but it's not all the rocket stuff tough, if mcdavis could only do a code to remove this image(the background image) "chrome://global/skin/watermarks/about.blank.sts116-s-021.v010.jpg", I would be glad
wongo

Small Icons Please

Post by wongo »

My laptop has only so much screen real estate for browsing, and the smaller the icons in the toolbar the better.

Plus I think the overall theme will look sleeker with smaller icons anyway.

On Mac OS X Firefox 2.0.0.4.