New Theme: NASA Night Launch

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Old Shingoshi

Post by Old Shingoshi »

Philip Chee wrote:That's possible. I'm not sure if mcdavis has released a new version of his theme that takes advantage of the attribute I added. You could disable Console2 to see if this problem goes away.

Phil

Update: I didn't notice this until I went to use Google again. That's when I saw that the Google box has been shrunk again. You can clearly see in this picture that the box is all but gone.
Update: Restarting a second time gets rid of the problem.

It worked just as I thought it would. I just wasn't wanting to disable it again. I don't know if mcdavis got my email or not, but this is what I suggested in it.

In the upcoming version, what color scheme will the extension list have? I was interested in seeing the following:
White: enabled
Green: to be installed
Yellow: disabled
Red: to be removed

Notice I completely eliminated gray from the scheme. It has too low a visibility.
But this is only my opinion.

Shingoshi
Last edited by Old Shingoshi on August 23rd, 2007, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Shingoshi

Post by Old Shingoshi »

mac,
I have also noticed that when I use the ImageBot window to upload images, placing the cursor over the Upload button in my browser (no one else may have this problem), the cursor is displayed as the type you use to resize a window. It still works mind you, but it's just not the correct cursor image. I tried doing a screenshot, but the cursor disappears when you do that, so screenshots won't work here.

Shingoshi
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Philip Chee wrote:That's possible. I'm not sure if mcdavis has released a new version of his theme that takes advantage of the attribute I added. You could disable Console2 to see if this problem goes away.

Neither the current AMO version of NNL nor the most recent NNL test version use the Console2 fix. The AMO version is written to select for [fromConsole2="true"], but we decided to go with [console2themeable="true"] in Console2 0.3.8+, so those rules don't work at the moment.

Both the next NNL test version and release version will use the correct attribute selector.
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Shingoshi wrote:

Phil

Update: I didn't notice this until I went to use Google again. That's when I saw that the Google box has been shrunk again. You can clearly see in this picture that the box is all but gone.

It worked just as I thought it would. I just wasn't wanting to disable it again. I don't know if mcdavis got my email or not, but this is what I suggested in it.

In the upcoming version, what color scheme will the extension list have? I was interested in seeing the following:
White: enabled
Green: to be installed
Yellow: disabled
Red: to be removed

Notice I completely eliminated gray from the scheme. It has too low a visibility.
But this is only my opinion.

Shingoshi

My intention is for NNL to control colors of all richlistboxes even when Console2 is installed, but to stand out of the way for the Error Console and let Console2 color it however it wants.

The color scheme I'll end up with for most richlistboxes (such as the Add-ons Manager and Downloads Manager) is the one you see with NNL when Console2 is not installed, i.e. whites and grays.

It's true that I'm sacrificing usability a bit (users don't get color-coded information about extension state) but I'm doing it in service of the conceptual integrity of this theme's design. No one theme can be everything, and I'm going to preserve the integrity of this design by exercising a little palette discipline here.

Users who want more can always use userChrome.css. Shingoshi, since we've been working on CSS, maybe this is something you could work toward: write the userChrome.css rules that get you the colors you want?
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Shingoshi wrote:mac,
I have also noticed that when I use the ImageBot window to upload images, placing the cursor over the Upload button in my browser (no one else may have this problem), the cursor is displayed as the type you use to resize a window. It still works mind you, but it's just not the correct cursor image. I tried doing a screenshot, but the cursor disappears when you do that, so screenshots won't work here.

Shingoshi, What would you think about posting a topic on this thread that is an index (by including links to other posts) to all the open issues you've found? You could add new links to it whenever you find something new, and I would know exactly where to look to see the latest. That would make it a lot easier to keep track, and I'm sure I've lost some of your older ones.
Old Shingoshi

Post by Old Shingoshi »

Sorry about that. I'll do that for now on. Let me make certain I understand you. It would be a separate topic under the Night Launch theme, in which I keep a continually updated list of all issues I find.

I thought I suggested that before, but I must have been misunderstood.
That's ok. I'll do that. Better yet, initiate the thread yourself, and let me know where you have it. Then I will know exactly what you want. Just create a thread called Unresolved Issues. And I can maintain it there.

Shingoshi
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Shingoshi wrote:Sorry about that. I'll do that for now on. Let me make certain I understand you. It would be a separate topic under the Night Launch theme, in which I keep a continually updated list of all issues I find.

Well my thought was it would be a separate post under this thread. And if you're going to edit it, it has to be your post. My goal is to not have to reread several different posts, but to just have one post where I can go to for all the outstanding issues.
Old Shingoshi

Un/Resolved Issues

Post by Old Shingoshi »

This is only a list of issues which I have found, and may not reflect a common experience for all users. With the over 100 extensions installed in my daily profile, I am likely to experience issues others may never even see.

ImageBot: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1174
--- Resizing cursor displayed (over Upload Images button) when updating new images.

Stylish: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2108
--- Buttons in Update Styles window were not visible.
+++ Use DOM Inspector.
+++ Fix: chrome://stylish/content/update.xul
+++ Rule: button - Line: 182 - Property: color :: Set to Important

Bookmarks: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ionID=4039
--- Highlighting issue, color reported as orange instead of gray.

GooglePreview: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/189
--- Statusbar icon is invisible.

For dark styles with Google, you might want to try using the Google scripts on userstyles.org
Googlepedia dark fixer -- http://userstyles.org/styles/1783
Google Image Search - dark gray redesign (vC) -- http://userstyles.org/styles/844
Google Video - dark gray redesign (vC) -- http://userstyles.org/styles/845
Google Web Search - dark gray redesign (vC) -- http://userstyles.org/styles/1693

Here's an image of the Google page with the "more" drop-down menu.
There are still some issues with various elements of Googlepedia dark, as you can see. But the "more" drop-down menu works fine.

Shingoshi
Last edited by Old Shingoshi on August 24th, 2007, 7:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lost User 289622

sidetrack question

Post by Lost User 289622 »

mcdavis941, nice theme you have provided, cool and dark!

playing around I have noticed that first time after starting ff and going to google the 'more' pull down looks transparent like here:
[img=http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2576/transparentcb6.th.png]

but if I go to 'maps' and then come back to the front page of google then magic happens and the pulldown menu shows up with a solid background:
[img=http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/8496/soliddl8.th.png]

If you can see these 2 images you will notice that my preference is to surf the web with 'Allow pages to choose their own colors' disabled and that I prefer a solid black background. Under this condition is always difficult to read pulldown menus like the google one, because they always show up transparent. I understand that this type of menus are implemented using css, somehow. I thought then that was not possible at all to control from my client side their parameters. But now I'm wondering, why is that with you theme I got to something like shown above?

... I just tried with some other ff theme and the behavior is the same. That is, I was wrong thinking that it was your them doing the trick. But well, I try this question here anyways.
thanks,
mcdavis

Re: sidetrack question

Post by mcdavis »

ramestica wrote:mcdavis941, nice theme you have provided, cool and dark!

playing around I have noticed that first time after starting ff and going to google the 'more' pull down looks transparent like here:
[img=http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2576/transparentcb6.th.png]

but if I go to 'maps' and then come back to the front page of google then magic happens and the pulldown menu shows up with a solid background:
[img=http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/8496/soliddl8.th.png]

If you can see these 2 images you will notice that my preference is to surf the web with 'Allow pages to choose their own colors' disabled and that I prefer a solid black background. Under this condition is always difficult to read pulldown menus like the google one, because they always show up transparent. I understand that this type of menus are implemented using css, somehow. I thought then that was not possible at all to control from my client side their parameters. But now I'm wondering, why is that with you theme I got to something like shown above?

... I just tried with some other ff theme and the behavior is the same. That is, I was wrong thinking that it was your them doing the trick. But well, I try this question here anyways.
thanks,

I'm glad you like the theme.

I can tell you that my theme does nothing with the popup menus created by web pages. You saw this yourself since you saw the same behavior with another theme. Maybe you could look at Greasemonkey and see if it has some scripts for Google to fix this? Other than that, I don't know what to suggest.

BTW I see you aren't using any theme subskins. IMO subskin-0 looks much better than the default theme appearance, for what it's worth.

HTH. Let us know if you find anything to fix your problem.
amnesia

Post by amnesia »

Hi
sorry I type about:config but not sure where to look to make the changes you suggest?????

mcdavis941 wrote:
amnesia wrote:hi i really love the dark theme, but i dont like the nasa image, sorry, is there a way to remove it when loading web pages, i just like the darkness

Yes. Instead of the code for the NASA image in userContent.css, just put this in instead:

Code: Select all

@-moz-document url(about:blank) {
html:not([class]) {
background: none black !important;
}
}
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

amnesia wrote:Hi
sorry I type about:config but not sure where to look to make the changes you suggest?????

mcdavis941 wrote:
amnesia wrote:hi i really love the dark theme, but i dont like the nasa image, sorry, is there a way to remove it when loading web pages, i just like the darkness

Yes. Instead of the code for the NASA image in userContent.css, just put this in instead:

@-moz-document url(about:blank) {
html:not([class]) {
background: none black !important;
}
}

amnesia, type this address into the location bar:

chrome://global/skin/extras/usingsubskins.html

This will tell you how to find <b>userChrome.css</b>. <b>userContent.css</b> is in the same folder. Let me know if that works for you.

Update 2009-May-20: The use of userContent.css to style empty tabs with NASA Night Launch is now un-recommended. There's a better way using Stylish. See this post later in this thread for full details.
Last edited by mcdavis on May 20th, 2009, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

<b>For testing:</b>

http://home.comcast.net/~username54321/ ... 070824.jar

<b>New in this version:</b>

+ Adds small toolbar button icons!
+ Adds usability support for GMail Manager extension
+ Adds usability support for ShowMyIP extension (makes icon visible in Status Bar - thanks to Shingoshi)
+ Adds new subskin "glowy orange menu highlights"
* Restyles safe browsing pop-up warning icon to match malware warning icon
+ Adds error/stopsign icon for blocked downloads on Download Mgr. (Minefield only - see Bug 355554)
+ Adds styling for Console2 extension version 0.3.8+.

<b>Bug fixes:</b>

* Fixes regression: Page Info window padding lost for Fx2.0.
* Fixes bug: Remove extra white strip in toolbar when in fullscreen (F11) mode.

<b>Under the covers:</b>

+ Handles Bug 389491 (have url bar autocomplete do a case insensitive search ...) by adding new CSS to browser.css (Minefield only)
+ Handles Bug 335383 with new CSS for Error Console toolbar button icons (Minefield only)
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Want to remove all the "Night Launch" icons from interior Firefox windows (like the Add-ons Manager, Import Wizard, Options Window, etc.)? Add this code to your userChrome.css.

.wizard-header {
  background: none transparent !important;
}

.viewSelector {
}

#bookmarks-toolbox {
}

prefwindow#BrowserPreferences radiogroup.paneSelector
{
}
Old Shingoshi

Post by Old Shingoshi »

SMALL TOOLBAR BUTTONS!!!
And Console2 works now! Wow!
Now we will RULE!!!

Shingoshi