[Ext] ThunderBrowse 3.3.5 for Thunderbird

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
netMASA

Re: [Ext] ThunderBrowse 3.2.3 for Thunderbird

Post by netMASA »

3.2.3 released.
Check out ThunderBrowse, the browser for Thunderbird. Donate to ThunderBrowse!
kriegaex

Cookie trouble with XING, iGoogle and others

Post by kriegaex »

I just installed ThunderBrowse 3.2.3 in Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 on WinXP Pro SP3 and also CS Lite 1.4.

I configured CS Lite to accept all cookies and keep them as long as they are valid. I even imported all my cookies from Firefox 3.0. I double-checked, they are all there with the correct values in CS Lite. Unfortunately, iGoogle and XING logins do not work. Symptoms:
  • iGoogle does not log me in automatically, but tells me on its start page that I should activate JavaScript, even though it is active.
  • I can log into iGoogle manually and then my widgets are shown, but I cannot switch tabs within iGoogle (not talking about ThunderBrowse tabs here). Again, it tells me to activate JS.
  • Switching to an e-mail and then back to ThunderBrowse results in me having to log again(!).
  • In XING (https login) I can enter user and password, but every click on "login" opens the corresponding page in Firefox instead of ThunderBrowse. Yes, I double-checked that default behaviour is to open links in the same ThunderBrowse tab. Manually forcing ThunderBrowse to open the page behind the "login" button in a new ThunderBrowse tab still does not log me in, but shows the same page in a new tab, only with faulty layout (hard to describe, like a split pane).

I am usually technically adept, but in this case I do not know what to try anymore. Any hints?
netMASA

Re: Cookie trouble with XING, iGoogle and others

Post by netMASA »

kriegaex wrote:I just installed ThunderBrowse 3.2.3 in Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 on WinXP Pro SP3 and also CS Lite 1.4.

I configured CS Lite to accept all cookies and keep them as long as they are valid. I even imported all my cookies from Firefox 3.0. I double-checked, they are all there with the correct values in CS Lite. Unfortunately, iGoogle and XING logins do not work. Symptoms:
  • iGoogle does not log me in automatically, but tells me on its start page that I should activate JavaScript, even though it is active.
  • I can log into iGoogle manually and then my widgets are shown, but I cannot switch tabs within iGoogle (not talking about ThunderBrowse tabs here). Again, it tells me to activate JS.
  • Switching to an e-mail and then back to ThunderBrowse results in me having to log again(!).
  • In XING (https login) I can enter user and password, but every click on "login" opens the corresponding page in Firefox instead of ThunderBrowse. Yes, I double-checked that default behaviour is to open links in the same ThunderBrowse tab. Manually forcing ThunderBrowse to open the page behind the "login" button in a new ThunderBrowse tab still does not log me in, but shows the same page in a new tab, only with faulty layout (hard to describe, like a split pane).

I am usually technically adept, but in this case I do not know what to try anymore. Any hints?

Second problem:
That would be odd that it is telling you that javascript needs to be on. You don't have TB NoScript installed, do you? Also, Javascript is on under the content permissions section of the settings correct?

Easiest way to check if ThunderBrowse has js enabled is running:

Code: Select all

javascript:alert(TBrowsePermissions.jsAllowed());

If ThunderBrowse is allowed to use JS content, it will return true. This means ThunderBrowse is set up correctly for js, but something else is disabling it. It could be that the website is using browser sniffing (like netvibes).

Problems 1, 3, 4: Because of Thunderbird bug 477120, you cannot login to https sites very easily. This means that pages render funny and will tend to blank out. Few websites with https might work. The only known possible work around is to copy and paste cookies.txt (though this may not work [I haven't tested it]). As for launching in both Firefox and ThunderBrowse, this is caused by one of two things:

1. The login system uses onSubmit and onClick or a combination of different javascript attributes. While ThunderBrowse can handle this just fine (which is why it loads in ThunderBrowse), Thunderbird has this odd habit of firing in Firefox anyway. There is currently no Thunderbird bug filed on this (as I never got around to providing examples).
2. The website tries to fire a second object in the midst of loading (this causes Thunderbird to freak out again and launch in Firefox [again, I have no idea why]).

There is a workaround to both these problems (however, the workaround can cause conflicts with extensions like Launchy) but I never added it into ThunderBrowse because of the conflicts. If you use this work around, you will have to define a path to an external browser, ThunderBrowse will be unable to find the system default.

To use the workaround: go to about:config and turn "network.protocol-handler.external-default" to false.
kriegaex

Post by kriegaex »

I really had to manually set

javascript.allow.mailnews = true
in about:config (don't know where it is in the GUI).

But:
  1. Now JS works, but iGoogle always needs one or two reloads before it shows my page instead of a neutral, non-logged-in version. Strange.
  2. This mozillaZine article is also only shown after I log in each single time I open the URL in ThunderBrowse. Even though I re-imported all my cookies from Firefox, I need to log in.
  3. The XING login, e.g. in https://www.xing.com/app/forum?op=showarticles&id=18748209, does not work, not even with all cookies freshly imported and

network.protocol-handler.external-default = false
    The login form from the page's source code looks like this:

<form action="https://www.xing.com/app/user" method="post" name="loginform" id="loginform">
      <fieldset>
        <input type="hidden" name="op" value="login" />
        <input type="hidden" name="dest" value="/app/forum?op=showarticles&amp;id=18748209&amp;articleid=18782042" />
        <div id="username">
          <label for="username-field" id="username-label">Benutzername</label>
          <input class="text" id="username-field" type="text" name="login_user_name" value="" maxlength="80" />
        </div>
        <div id="password">
          <label for="password-field" id="password-label">Passwort</label>
          <input class="text" id="password-field" type="password" name="login_password" value="" maxlength="80" />
        </div>
        <button id="login-button" class="submit-button" type="submit" value="Login">
          <span><em>Login</em></span>
        </button>
      </fieldset>
    </form>

Any hints concerning those three phenomena would be greatly appreciated.
netMASA

Post by netMASA »

kriegaex wrote:I really had to manually set

javascript.allow.mailnews = true
in about:config (don't know where it is in the GUI).

But:
  1. Now JS works, but iGoogle always needs one or two reloads before it shows my page instead of a neutral, non-logged-in version. Strange.
  2. This mozillaZine article is also only shown after I log in each single time I open the URL in ThunderBrowse. Even though I re-imported all my cookies from Firefox, I need to log in.
  3. The XING login, e.g. in https://www.xing.com/app/forum?op=showarticles&id=18748209, does not work, not even with all cookies freshly imported and

network.protocol-handler.external-default = false
    The login form from the page's source code looks like this:

<form action="https://www.xing.com/app/user" method="post" name="loginform" id="loginform">
      <fieldset>
        <input type="hidden" name="op" value="login" />
        <input type="hidden" name="dest" value="/app/forum?op=showarticles&amp;id=18748209&amp;articleid=18782042" />
        <div id="username">
          <label for="username-field" id="username-label">Benutzername</label>
          <input class="text" id="username-field" type="text" name="login_user_name" value="" maxlength="80" />
        </div>
        <div id="password">
          <label for="password-field" id="password-label">Passwort</label>
          <input class="text" id="password-field" type="password" name="login_password" value="" maxlength="80" />
        </div>
        <button id="login-button" class="submit-button" type="submit" value="Login">
          <span><em>Login</em></span>
        </button>
      </fieldset>
    </form>

Any hints concerning those three phenomena would be greatly appreciated.

Javascript permissions are located here in the settings window

1. As I said before, https cookies are stripped by Thunderbird, it's a bug in Thunderbird.
2. Cookies don't seem to be saving for you.
3. That form is https. Due to bug 477120, you cannot login (feel free to vote the issue up at that link).

Sorry about all the trouble.
kriegaex

Deactivating ThunderBrowse kills menu entries and hotkeys

Post by kriegaex »

I have another issue with ThunderBrowse: I cannot uninstall or deactivate the add-on without destroying part of my menu structure. Look at this screenshot:

Furthermore, some hotkeys (like F8) do not work anymore. Re-installing or re-activating ThunderBrowse helps, but this is not what I want. How can I get rid of this add-on without losing my menu integrity? Do I have to delete anything manually in any config files?

Here is my configuration, so you can see which other add-ons I am using:

UserAgent-String: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.8.1.19) Gecko/20081209 Lightning/0.9 Thunderbird/2.0.0.19 ThunderBrowse/3.2.3
Build-ID: 2008120920

Active add-ons: [24]
- Adressbuchanbindung für WEB.DE MultiMessenger 3.60.2563
- Attachment Reminder 0.3.10
- Bork Bork Bork! 1.7
- Console² 0.3.10
- Contacts Add BCC button 0.0.5
- CS Lite 1.4
- Enigmail [de] 0.95.7
- functions for keyconfig (Thunderbird) 1.0.6
- ImportExportTools (Mboximport enhanced) [de] 2.1.2
- keyconfig 20080929
- Lightning 0.9
- Maximize Message Pane 0.9.100
- MinimizeToTray 0.0.1.2006102615+
- MR Tech Local Install 5.3.2.3
- No New Window on Double Click 0.2.3
- Nostalgy 0.2.16
- Quote Colors 0.2.8
- Remove Duplicate Messages 0.1.06
- Ruler Bar 0.3.2008120101
- Signature Switch 1.6.2
- Talkback 2.0.0.9
- ThunderBrowse 3.2.3
- Toggle Word Wrap 1.2
- Transliterator 0.7.3

Installed themes: [1]
- Thunderbird (default)

BTW: Please do not quote my messages when answering, at least no full quotes. Please only quote messages which are not directly preceding your own ones.
netMASA

Re: Deactivating ThunderBrowse kills menu entries and hotkeys

Post by netMASA »

kriegaex wrote:I have another issue with ThunderBrowse: I cannot uninstall or deactivate the add-on without destroying part of my menu structure.

Furthermore, some hotkeys (like F8) do not work anymore. Re-installing or re-activating ThunderBrowse helps, but this is not what I want. How can I get rid of this add-on without losing my menu integrity? Do I have to delete anything manually in any config files?

Funny, because F8 isn't overridden (or even defined) by ThunderBrowse. This wasn't a problem before and suddenly it's a problem now. This means it can't be ThunderBrowse, because there is no timebomb that goes off and kills profiles.

What you have is an extension conflict. Some extension is blocking ThunderBrowse from being used (you can look in the Error Log [under the tools menu] to find out which one). I'm not sure which but it would have to be one of your most recently updated extensions.

If not, then you have a problem with profiles (this happens to Thunderbird all the time).

If deleting the files: "xpti.dat", "compreg.dat", "extensions.ini", "extensions.cache" and "extensions.rdf" from your profile folder doesn't solve the problem, you must disable all your extensions and hope to find the one that is causing the fault.
kriegaex

Post by kriegaex »

The opposite is true: ThunderBrowse ist does not get blocked from being used, but from not being used anymore by deactivating or uninstalling it. It may very well be a conflict anyway, but the funny thing is that as long as the add-on is installed it works well, apart rom the SSL and cookie issues mentioned in m first two postings.
netMASA

Post by netMASA »

kriegaex wrote:The opposite is true: ThunderBrowse ist does not get blocked from being used, but from not being used anymore by deactivating or uninstalling it. It may very well be a conflict anyway, but the funny thing is that as long as the add-on is installed it works well, apart rom the SSL and cookie issues mentioned in m first two postings.

Then you have a problem with those profile files. It's most likely that Thunderbird thinks ThunderBrowse is still activated when it is not because something is locking one of those files.
cmx

Post by cmx »

I have one problem using this extension. Pages in browser load without images/css. Settings - Content - "Respect Email Image policies" is unchecked.
netMASA

Post by netMASA »

cmx wrote:I have one problem using this extension. Pages in browser load without images/css. Settings - Content - "Respect Email Image policies" is unchecked.

Hm. I'm unaware of anything that would cause it to not work. What does your error log say (tools<Error Console)
kriegaex

Post by kriegaex »

Many of us know the problem of HTTPS cookie headers being stripped, causing Thunderbird (or ThunderBrowse, for that matter) to be unable to log on to various services. Mozilla developer Mark Banner integrated a quick-fix into a TB3 build. As I am unable to test myself for a while (on the road with my laptop, TB must work at the client site), maybe somebody here wants to test and see if it works and provie some feedback to the corresponding Bugzilla ticket.

Bugzilla link: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=477120
There you will also find links to Win and Mac builds which you can use for testing.
netMASA

Post by netMASA »

kriegaex wrote:Many of us know the problem of HTTPS cookie headers being stripped, causing Thunderbird (or ThunderBrowse, for that matter) to be unable to log on to various services. Mozilla developer Mark Banner integrated a quick-fix into a TB3 build. As I am unable to test myself for a while (on the road with my laptop, TB must work at the client site), maybe somebody here wants to test and see if it works and provie some feedback to the corresponding Bugzilla ticket.

Bugzilla link: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=477120
There you will also find links to Win and Mac builds which you can use for testing.

Works great for me, maybe this will be the golden ticket out of all the repetitive messages I get.

I've uploaded 3.2.4 which contains support for this build.
netMASA

Post by netMASA »

ThunderBrowse 3.2.4 has been uploaded to AMO.
kriegaex

Post by kriegaex »

What/where is AMO? I cannot find 3.2.4. Does it contain the fix mentioned in the Bugzilla ticket?

Edit: I figured out you mean addons.mozilla.org. And now A also found out that I have to "show all versions" and there I can see 3.2.4 flagged as experimental.