[Ext] ThunderBrowse 3.3.5 for Thunderbird

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

netmasa, after a few days using your extension, i'm finding it rather useful. perhaps you would consider some suggestions:

1. rss subject link. for rss, the subject is made into a link via the RSSLinkify extension (although i just put the relevant code into userchrome.js). it would be nice if your extension also did this bit, and then opened the website in the message pane on subject click and also on <enter> when focus is on the item in the thread pane (optional, default now is to open same content in another window). it would solve this bug/rfe!

2. improved history flow. right now, as mentioned above, selecting a new message retains the history of prior message link selections, but does not insert the url of the new message. one solution is to just reset history, clear out the old, anytime a new message is selected. or to insert the url of the newly selected message.

3. headers on email/rss item in history. going back to an email shows all headers inline, without the headers box, even though headers are set to collapsed eg. the headers box needs to be restored on back/forward to a message, just like if a new message is selected from thread pane. perhaps a reselect of the message is better in this case rather than url load, though benefits of caching would be lost.

4. icons. would it be simpler and more familiar to just reuse the back/forward/reload/stop/go icons from Fx and make them toolbarbuttons instead of buttons?

also, i assume your extensions.tbrowse.dojavascript pref only applies to followed links and not to javascript in emails. otherwise security would be an issue.

thanks.
netMASA

Post by netMASA »

1. I don't get that bug. What's the point of it? Click on headers?
2. I can't replicate that.
3. I know that's a bug but I am not sure how to restore the interface again.
4. Cause the icons included with Thunderbird are not as cool as mine and secondly the user might get confused if they see two back buttons (each doing something different) with the same text of back. It's better to have my own
Check out ThunderBrowse, the browser for Thunderbird. Donate to ThunderBrowse!
alta88

Post by alta88 »

netMASA wrote:1. I don't get that bug. What's the point of it? Click on headers?

Tb rss has the option of either loading a summary (short, fast to load) vs. web page (full article). feeds vary widely, many have good summaries that are enough, many don't or one wants to read more. this is for fast processing of big volumes of feeds and keyboard use (the enter option). in expanded headers view, rss feeds have a 'website' header which is a link by default - clicking it should invoke your app just like clicking a link in the message pane. also, i'd prefer to view *all* web pages in message pane via your extension - including Visit web page in the addons rt click.
2. I can't replicate that.

select a message with a link. click the link, its url appears in the bar. then click back, the message's url (mailbox:// or imap:// etc.) appears. then click another message with a link. click the link. going back selects the first message.
3. I know that's a bug but I am not sure how to restore the interface again.

there's a function reselectmessage() or similar, just store the id in history and pass it in - pretty sure this would work but just going from memory..
4. Cause the icons included with Thunderbird are not as cool as mine and secondly the user might get confused if they see two back buttons (each doing something different) with the same text of back. It's better to have my own

not sure what you mean 2 back buttons, but it's easy enough (for me) to change in css/userchrome.js. i prefer the consistency but it's up to you obviously.

also, in customize, there should be a label on the toolbarbutton. there should also be a tooltip once it's in the toolbar. for consistency with all other buttons.

thanks.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

in addition, going back to an imap message results in a Forbidden from the server. so the cached copy is not being used, nor is the calling function set up correctly..
netMASA

Post by netMASA »

Several bugs are fixed in the newest version which I uploaded today
netMASA

Post by netMASA »

Version 2.5.7 has now been released on AMO
netMASA

Post by netMASA »

New version with languages coming soon.
netMASA

Post by netMASA »

2.7.8 is out
netMASA

Post by netMASA »

ThunderBrowse 2.8 is now on AMO
netMASA

Post by netMASA »

alta88 wrote:netmasa, after a few days using your extension, i'm finding it rather useful. perhaps you would consider some suggestions:

1. rss subject link. for rss, the subject is made into a link via the RSSLinkify extension (although i just put the relevant code into userchrome.js). it would be nice if your extension also did this bit, and then opened the website in the message pane on subject click and also on <enter> when focus is on the item in the thread pane (optional, default now is to open same content in another window). it would solve this bug/rfe!

thanks.

Number one is fixed in the next version coming up
netMASA

Post by netMASA »

2.8.2 uploaded.

From the changelog:

Made accesskey localizible
Made UI for future prefs (UI is hidden because it's not translated yet)
Made link clicks global kindof
Added Dutch translation
Added Bulgarian translation
Added Slovak language
Added French language
Added German language
Added Italian language
Fixed non clearing of forward history
Fixed clearing of dropdown
Fixed refresh button bug
Fixed about:downloads bug
Added secure urlbar coloring
Added custom browser launching (change the pref extensions.tbrowse.customlauncher to the path of the browser)
Added pref for not hiding the subject, to, from fields in mail messages. (change extensions.tbrowse.removesub to false)
Clicking on rss subject takes you to the url
Added autocomplete
Added pref for turning off autocomplete (extensions.tbrowse.autocomplete to false)
Added dropdown history feature (which gets reset on every startup, this might change in the future)
CRO

Post by CRO »

Greetings,

Recently, I installed the ThunderBrowse extension using TB 2.0.4 in a Window XP Home Edition OS. I use ZoneAlarm (free edition) as my firewall as well as a router.

I like the extension, but cannot find any information regarding security issues (I checked the developer's Web site).

Can someone outline the potential security issues for this extension.

Cheers,
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

in 2.8.2 back/forward navigation is still broken.

* buttons must become disabled when at the first/last item
- click message, click link, click back, click back again and message reloads - incorrect, button should be disabled.
- click message, click link, click back, click forward, click forward again and same link is loaded/added to history - incorrect, first click forward reaches end and button must be disabled.

behavior of the buttons should exactly emulate the Go Back/Forward one message buttons that come standard with TB - as far as mouseover, dropdown history, etc.

it would be nice if history could be remembered for each message's links if going back to a message. is this envisioned?

need to start/stop the throbber when loading a page and place a message in the status bar - pretty standard stuff. there seems to be a lot of waiting cursor without any indication anything is happening. can you use a cache to not reload pages already loaded?

btw, the Tb trunk just landed yesterday contains a tabbed interface, unfortunately it tabs the whole 3pane view and not the message pane.
netMASA

Post by netMASA »

CRO wrote:Greetings,

Recently, I installed the ThunderBrowse extension using TB 2.0.4 in a Window XP Home Edition OS. I use ZoneAlarm (free edition) as my firewall as well as a router.

I like the extension, but cannot find any information regarding security issues (I checked the developer's Web site).

Can someone outline the potential security issues for this extension.

Cheers,

Well, I can tell you that there are several large security holes that would love to take over your computer. That was the whole reason why it was made. And secretly, I can control your computer via it! OMG! Enjoy!

No, in all seriousness, the extension is pretty secure. By default it doesn't allow javascript and cookies can't be set by webpages. So tracking is off the menu. As for vulnerabilities through plugins, there are not any. Mostly because there are no plugins for Thunderbird (atleast 2.0.4 the version you have). And I can't control your computer via the extension. :)
Last edited by netMASA on June 30th, 2007, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
netMASA

Post by netMASA »

alta88 wrote:in 2.8.2 back/forward navigation is still broken.

* buttons must become disabled when at the first/last item
- click message, click link, click back, click back again and message reloads - incorrect, button should be disabled.
- click message, click link, click back, click forward, click forward again and same link is loaded/added to history - incorrect, first click forward reaches end and button must be disabled.

Okay, the code has disabling of the buttons works. There is a check to see if the buttons are disabled and if they are, the back command won't fire. It's been there and it's working.

it would be nice if history could be remembered for each message's links if going back to a message. is this envisioned?

No.
need to start/stop the throbber when loading a page and place a message in the status bar - pretty standard stuff. there seems to be a lot of waiting cursor without any indication anything is happening. can you use a cache to not reload pages already loaded?

Actually from what I found, most people don't use the throbber. I found that out after quite a few bug reports about the two mini icons not being set. That's cause they didn't have the throbber on the toolbar. And it should say "loading message..." in the status bar when such thing is loading.

btw, the Tb trunk just landed yesterday contains a tabbed interface, unfortunately it tabs the whole 3pane view and not the message pane.

At least they thought of the extension and didn't try/accidentally break it. ThunderBrowse doesn't support tabs at this time (and I don't know if I will ever make it to do so) but adding tab support to the message pane would require changing the message pane alot. It would seem possible, as one could do a current query on the tabs available and the one currently selected and load that way, but history wise I would think would break.