[Ext] Tab Kit 0.5.7 (2009-07-06)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Jome

Post by Jome »

I love the new Openselectedlinks feature, but how about making the menu context say "Open 15 links in new tab" instead of just "Open links in new tabs".. ?
It's often handy to know how many links you've highlighted, some times there's hidden links, and if you like to open many tabs at the same time, it's useful..

And it's easy for me to count the total amount of links on my project http://www.dubcnn.com/thevault/ .. :mrgreen:
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

Jome wrote:I love the new Openselectedlinks feature, but how about making the menu context say "Open 15 links in new tab" instead of just "Open links in new tabs".. ?

Um, it already does! It'll say "Open Main <N> Link(s) in New Tab(s)"*, "Open <N> Link(s) in New Tab(s)" or "Open <N> Text Link(s) in New Tab(s)", or potentially all three of those (depending on what's selected) if you uncheck "Offer best links only" in the options. Are you sure what you're seeing is provided by Tab Kit and not some other extension?

* Note that main links is when some of the links are in a larger font size, so it ignores links in smaller font size, and only opens the big ones. This is useful e.g. when opening a bunch of Google search results, without also opening all the "Cached" "Similar Pages" etc. links.
Creator of:
- Tab Kit: Tab grouping, multi-rows, tree view, and various tweaks for power users
- Tabs Open Relative: Tabs open right of current
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
Jome

Post by Jome »

Damn, that's a trip..
Turned off Tab Mix Plus (0.3.6.1.080416), and it worked like you described.. but I lost a lot of features that I can't surf without..
Tried to fumble with the options in both TMP and TK, but seems to be some kinda overlap somewhere, and I have to use both.. :doubt:

Hope these can work together some day.
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

Ah yes, Tab Mix Plus clashes with quite a few things. Though Tab Kit aims to provide alternatives for all its major functionality, especially when combined with extensions like Session Manager and Ctrl-Tab. I'd be interested to know which things you miss most...
Creator of:
- Tab Kit: Tab grouping, multi-rows, tree view, and various tweaks for power users
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
DnF

What I miss most (with every second click)

Post by DnF »

I have turned off tabMixPlus, because your extension have one, for me crucial, thing - colored grouping.

But now what I miss (and all was already stated in the forum before I think)
- possibility to say how do I want to open tabs from addressbar, searchbar, bookmark, history. I think this is very useful if you are used to tabbed browsing. (I mean - I know what needs to be closed, and if I want, I will close it. All other things is new for me - so why not in the new tab?) I didn't find any setting or extension to make this work.
- lock tab. Really useful for gmail, ebay, and so on... But there is extension PermaTabs which I'm using now.
- colors of tabs. I simply don't like some colors. If there could be come color list, 20 colors or more, in which I could replace some colors I don't like - it could be perfect!

:) Only three things, your extension is amazing!

DnF
Jomel

Re: What I miss most (with every second click)

Post by Jomel »

DnF wrote:- possibility to say how do I want to open tabs from addressbar, searchbar, bookmark, history. I think this is very useful if you are used to tabbed browsing. (I mean - I know what needs to be closed, and if I want, I will close it. All other things is new for me - so why not in the new tab?) I didn't find any setting or extension to make this work.

What exactly do you mean by this? Do you want to choose whether addressbar/searchbar/bookmarks/history/groupmarks open in new tabs by default (instead of the current tab)? [If so it doesn't seem that much harder to press Alt+Enter or Ctrl+Click to open things in new tabs when they wouldn't otherwise, but I'll bear it in mind]. Or do you want to choose whether, when they open in a new tab, they open in a foreground or a background tab? [If so there are about:config options for at least some of those].

DnF wrote:- lock tab. Really useful for gmail, ebay, and so on... But there is extension PermaTabs which I'm using now.

Yes, I'll add this soon :)

DnF wrote:- colors of tabs. I simply don't like some colors. If there could be come color list, 20 colors or more, in which I could replace some colors I don't like - it could be perfect!

Hmm, the colours code is already quite complicated without allowing you to customise them (it automatically picks random colours that are sufficiently different from those of nearby groups). And if you reduce the range of hues (because you don't like some colours) then adjacent groups will be more likely to have similar colours that might get confused... I'll have a think about this, but it's probably not a priority I'm afraid.
Creator of:
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
AlanMartin

Post by AlanMartin »

Your routines for choosing a hue for each group are very clever. I hope you will soon add the ability for the user to choose saturation and luminosity values in the options dialog, because the current coloring is too strong for my taste. Also, that would fix the request from a few users to have an option for no coloring - they could just set saturation to 0%.

I have edited those values in a few places in tabkit.jar (from 100%, 75% to 40%, 80%) and it works well. Note: I used a hex editor because the file contains some binary sections. Saving it from an ordinary plain text editor such as Notepad might damage it?

I hope you won't mind me pointing out to users how to do it...
Find each occurrence of the following line (which occurs 3 times in tabkit.jar) and edit the two % numbers, which are for Saturation and Lightness.
tk.setWindowValue("knownColor:" + tgid, "hsl(" + hue + ", 100%, 75%)");
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

Yes, I'll add preferences for the colour Saturation and Lightness at some point. In the meantime, there's a slightly safer way to edit those than using a hex editor: XPI files are just zip files so you can rename them and extract their contents, and the tabkit.JAR file inside that is also just another renamed zip file. Inside the JAR file you'll find the interesting stuff, like tabkit.js which is where all the main code is (including that line which sets the colour sat/lum). Just be careful when zipping it back together. Or even better use 7-zip which lets you edit the files directly, even in multi-level zips like this one (and will prompt you to save changes when it notices you saving the files).
Creator of:
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
DnF

Post by DnF »

Jomel wrote:What exactly do you mean by this? Do you want to choose whether addressbar/searchbar/bookmarks/history/groupmarks open in new tabs by default (instead of the current tab)? [If so it doesn't seem that much harder to press Alt+Enter or Ctrl+Click to open things in new tabs when they wouldn't otherwise, but I'll bear it in mind]. Or do you want to choose whether, when they open in a new tab, they open in a foreground or a background tab? [If so there are about:config options for at least some of those].

Yes, I mean settings to open addressbar etc. in new tab or in current tab. Separately for each case. Of course it can be done by ctrl click or alt enter, but in the case I can set it according to my own preferences, it is much much comfortable.
Opening in front/background can be set in firefox preferences, and it is sufficient I think.

Custom coloring is not a priority for me too - I can live with pink or ultraviolet tabs ;) Or maybe changing tab group color should be enough - because usually I have two or three groups of tabs opened for half a day - so then I could change color for it if it has some color I don't like.

DnF
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

DnF wrote:Yes, I mean settings to open addressbar etc. in new tab or in current tab. Separately for each case.

Suppose that wouldn't hurt. If I can't find a simple extension that adds that I might incorporate it...
DnF wrote:Custom coloring is not a priority for me too - I can live with pink or ultraviolet tabs ;) Or maybe changing tab group color should be enough - because usually I have two or three groups of tabs opened for half a day - so then I could change color for it if it has some color I don't like.

A quick hack for changing group color:
  • Select the first tab of the group
  • Right-click the last tab of the group and choose Tab Kit -> Group Tabs From Here To Current
And you'll get a new random color (but remember that it'll only ever give you colors that are sufficiently different from the nearby groups; if you're desperate you could move the group somewhere else using Shift+drag and try again).
Creator of:
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
DnF

Post by DnF »

Ok, thank you for your response, as I said, coloring is much more "nice to have" than a critical thing.
I have tried to find some extension which will do that opening thing - but without success.
If you will decide to implement settings for opening new tab from addressbar etc, it will be very nice to add some intelligence to it - for example if the domain of the newly entered address is the same as current page, open it in current tab over that page. The same for "server not found" and similar errors - often it is only misspelled address, and in that case we don't need new tab to be opened. Maybe there can be other good ideas to implement, but just now I'm sleepy and tired after yesterday night, so I cant find any :)
Thank you for your effort in this nice ext :)

DnF
jbhelfrich

Re: [Ext] Tab Kit 0.3 (2007-11-06)

Post by jbhelfrich »

I've been trying to install TabKit 0.4 tonight, and I keep getting an error that the hash is corrupted. Is anyone else seeing this?
Jomel

Re: [Ext] Tab Kit 0.3 (2007-11-06)

Post by Jomel »

jbhelfrich wrote:I've been trying to install TabKit 0.4 tonight, and I keep getting an error that the hash is corrupted. Is anyone else seeing this?

I think addons.mozilla.org is just struggling under the heavy load now Fx 3's been officially released. For I while I couldn't access the Tab Kit page at all, now it's back; and the site doesn't seem to let you login right now... So just try again later I guess, it should fix itself.
Creator of:
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
cdp1276

Re: [Ext] Tab Kit 0.4 (2008-05-19)

Post by cdp1276 »

I just installed this on FF 3 and have TMP uninstalled and I can't get multiple rows of tabs to show. They still show as a single row without arrows to move along the row of say 20 tabs. I have grouping turned off and have tried everything. I really need this feature back to manage all my tabs.
Jomel

Re: [Ext] Tab Kit 0.4 (2008-05-19)

Post by Jomel »

cdp1276 wrote:I just installed this on FF 3 and have TMP uninstalled and I can't get multiple rows of tabs to show.

Hi cdp127g, what other addons do you have installed? And are you using a special theme? The best advice is probably to temporarily create a new profile and try Tab Kit on its own, without any other extensions/themes installed. If that works, it was probably clashing with one of your old extensions (or the theme), and you can try selectively disabling them to work out which one.
Creator of:
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite