[Ext] Tab Kit 0.5.7 (2009-07-06)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
kyorei2

Re: [Ext] Tab Kit 0.5.6 (2009-04-27)

Post by kyorei2 »

is it possible to disable tab colors for some themes. It is a great add-on but I don't really like the way it looks with the chromifox theme because it does not cover all the tab
thanks
peace:)
tntornado

Post by tntornado »

Maybe TabKit can already do this, and I'm not seeing it, but I'd like to be able to group tabs not by the tab they were opened under, but I'd like to be able to drag and drop tabs into custom groups. Can TabKit currently do this?
spuri

Post by spuri »

Hi Jomel,

What do you think about "focus on last selected tab" when close current tab. Is it possible to have this in tab kit in the future?

thanks
s
MajMac

Post by MajMac »

Hi, I have Tab Kit 0.5.6 installed on FF 3.5.
Love it :)
Is it possible though to color ungrouped tabs as well? It's kinda sad to look at a lonely, uncolored tab :cry:
And can we get to choose colors? Or have a wider range of colors? (I might be wrong but sometimes different groups are assigned the same colors).
And thank you for a wonderful extension :) It replaced Tab Mix Plus in my browser (whenever I opened FF with TMP, my CPU usage jumped to the max).
I also disabled colorful tabs, so I could use Tab kit's colors. Hence the longing for many, many colors...
riowong

Post by riowong »

Great to have TMP replacement!

Wishes:
1, control closing tab direction which is not related to group tabs closing
2, customize the default colors given from this addon, such as protected tab and unread tab

Wish you can add more brilliant features for tab controls! :)
Jomel

Re: [Ext] Tab Kit 0.5.7 (2009-07-06)

Post by Jomel »

hackel wrote:1. what aw130300 mentioned about about memory leakage is extremely urgent
2. I would suggest making use of the coloured stripe at the top of the active tab
3. if a group is collapsed, pressing Ctrl+PageUp/Down will treat it as a single tab
4. I would love it if you could implement the "hibernate" feature seen in TabGroups Manager

1. As I said in my reply, I'll look into it, but so far Tab Kit appears to have negligible effect on memory usage, so this doesn't seem urgent.
2. I don't know about other platforms, but you don't get a stripe on Windows (by default). For vertical tabs, I'm considering this as a subtler way of marking groups.
3. When did you last update? Ever since version 0.5.5 Ctrl+PageUp/Down shouldn't expand groups...
4. I'm actually planning something similar: a tab list (aka workspace) selector that lets you switch between several independent sets of tabs; and inactive tabs (e.g. those in unused tab lists) would be automatically taken out of memory.

awedmortal wrote:is it possible (...) to "auto-hide" a vertical bar of tabs, then show with mouse

Yes, click the grippy (or just resize the tab bar to zero width) to collapse the tab bar, and it'll auto-show if you hover over the left edge of the browser.

neodraig wrote:1. If the collapsed group is in the middle of other tabs, the entire row is skipped and it's difficult to reach the group even with the side arrows.
2. Could you add the possibility to personnalise the way the unread or current tab are highlighted
3. Even though the "show on all tabs" option for the close button is activated, it only appears on the active tab.

1. I'm afraid I can't reproduce this - could you give me exact steps to reproduce it (including that happens and what you expected to happen instead) please?
2. I agree that the current highlights aren't very pretty. I'm thinking of making unread tabs just be bold (like unread emails are usually shown), and doing something obvious for the current tab.
3. Go to about:config and set browser.tabs.tabClipWidth to something tiny like 1 (tabClipWidth is the minimum width a tab must be for a close button to be shown, and overrides the built-in show closebuttons on all tabs preference).
4. Try setting browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground to true in about:config.

sddawson wrote:When Tabkit is enabled, it puts a thin line at the top of each tab, including the current one, that separates it from the line above

I'll see if there's anything obvious I can do about this, but without a Mac to test on I'm afraid there's not much I can do...

firefdr wrote:Any updates comming soon? I wanna remove those "open a new tab" and "list all tabs" buttons.

Have a look at my Mozilla Design Challenge presentation and mockups for a hint of updates to come (but please be patient - these are still just pictures at the moment, they haven't yet been implemented!). You'll be glad to hear that removing those buttons is included :)

RNiK wrote:How do "grouping by domain" work in Tab Kit?

Tab Kit currently requires tab groups to always contain at least two tabs. So open several tabs from each domain and you should see it working. Note that it won't move a tab when you follow links within a tab (as this would be quite confusing) - it'll only autogroup tabs when opening a new tab (e.g. from a link or the address/search bars) or typing an address into an existing blank tab.
However I strongly discourage use of group by domain, as it doesn't match up well to user workflows.
Consider doing a couple of Google searches on different topics, and opening some results from each search. The unrelated search pages would be grouped together, while their corresponding results would be scattered around and intermixed arbitrarily based on the domains of the results (which the user is very unlikely to remember before they look at the results!).

kyorei2 wrote:is it possible to disable tab colors for some themes. It is a great add-on but I don't really like the way it looks with the chromifox theme because it does not cover all the tab

Without color, how will you tell what group tabs are in? The developer of Chromifox Basic says that theme "will never be compatible with ColorfulTabs, due to technical limitations", and this is very likely to apply to Chromifox Extreme (which you seem to be using) as well. Tab Kit is able to color just the tab titles as a useful fallback for such incompatible themes (recommended settings for Chromifox Extreme: Tabs -> Theme compatibility = Never override themes, and Tabs -> Coloring = Color labels by group and tabs if highlighted). If you want to disable grouping completely then disable Grouping -> Automatically group new tabs, and don't manually create any groups...

tntornado wrote:Maybe TabKit can already do this, and I'm not seeing it, but I'd like to be able to group tabs not by the tab they were opened under, but I'd like to be able to drag and drop tabs into custom groups. Can TabKit currently do this?

Play around with the options. Specifically, you want to disable Grouping -> Automatically group new tabs, then no groups will be created automatically. You can manually create groups by selecting one tab then right-clicking another tab and choosing Tab Kit -> Group Tabs From Here To Current, and you can add tabs to groups by dragging them into the group. You can also drag an entire group at once by holding down shift while you drop it. In future I plan to make these operations simpler.

spuri wrote:What do you think about "focus on last selected tab" when close current tab. Is it possible to have this in tab kit in the future?

It's on the Todo list :)

MajMac wrote:Is it possible though to color ungrouped tabs as well? It's kinda sad to look at a lonely, uncolored tab :cry:
And can we get to choose colors? Or have a wider range of colors? (I might be wrong but sometimes different groups are assigned the same colors).

Sorry, you can't currently color ungrouped tabs, to emphasize the fact that they are ungrouped.
You can't choose colors, but you can generate a new color for a group by selecting its first tab then right-clicking its last tab and choosing Group Tabs From Here To Current. The colors generated are not completely random though - Tab Kit makes sure that the colors are different from nearby groups, and so it's quite rare for neighbouring groups to end up with similar colors (it can happen if you close all the tabs between two far apart groups). By a wider range of colors you presumably mean a wider range of color saturation or lightness values (since the full range of hues is used). You can control these under Tab Kit Options -> Tabs -> Tab Coloring.

riowong wrote:1, control closing tab direction which is not related to group tabs closing
2, customize the default colors given from this addon, such as protected tab and unread tab

1. I'm not sure what you mean - Tab Kit lets you set "always select the tab to the right" or "always select the tab to the left" if you want.
2. Yup, that's been suggested. Though I currently favour making unread tabs bold instead of highlighting them in yellow (I'd make sure the current tab still stood out).
Creator of:
- Tab Kit: Tab grouping, multi-rows, tree view, and various tweaks for power users
- Tabs Open Relative: Tabs open right of current
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

Changing Tab Kit Support (this thread is now deprecated)

I write Tab Kit for free in my own time, which is limited. At the moment, I'm spending almost all my time answering questions about Tab Kit, and hardly have time to improve it. This has to change. So I'm afraid I'm no longer going to give individual responses to emails and to comments in this thread. Instead, I've opened two new support venues:

Feel free to repeat previous ideas and issues in one of these venues if you still think they're important - I'm gradually going to trawl through feedback received so far and add the best bits, but I may miss things.

I won't close this thread as such, in case you wish to discuss amongst yourselves, but please don't expect individual responses any more.

Thank you all for your enthusiasm about Tab Kit though - you're what keeps me doing this :D
Creator of:
- Tab Kit: Tab grouping, multi-rows, tree view, and various tweaks for power users
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
RNiK

Post by RNiK »

Jomel wrote:
RNiK wrote:How do "grouping by domain" work in Tab Kit?

Tab Kit currently requires tab groups to always contain at least two tabs. So open several tabs from each domain and you should see it working. Note that it won't move a tab when you follow links within a tab (as this would be quite confusing) - it'll only autogroup tabs when opening a new tab (e.g. from a link or the address/search bars) or typing an address into an existing blank tab.
However I strongly discourage use of group by domain, as it doesn't match up well to user workflows.
Consider doing a couple of Google searches on different topics, and opening some results from each search. The unrelated search pages would be grouped together, while their corresponding results would be scattered around and intermixed arbitrarily based on the domains of the results (which the user is very unlikely to remember before they look at the results!).

I find more useful "Group by domain" than "Group by opener" cause I spent lot of time in forums and boards so I'm more interested in grouping tabs (a thread in every tab). For my browsing habits, grouping Google searches is not a needed feature.

Here you are a suggestion for Tab Kit grouping by domain behaviour.

Step to reproduce:
  1. Open MozillaZine forums index in a new tab (1 tab - no color).
  2. Open MozillaZine Extension/Theme Releases forum section in a new tab (2 tabs - 2 GREEN tabs).
  3. Open this thread in a new tab (3 tabs - 3 GREEN tabs).
Now switch to the first tab (forums index) and type in the address bar http://www.google.com. Nevertheless the domain change the tab is still GREEN. :(

FEATURE REQUEST
When changing domain in a colored/grouped tab (via address bar, via Bookmarks, via link opened from other applications, (*)) tab should:
  • ungroup (no color) if there are no other open tabs matching the same domain;
  • automatically group (color) if there are already open tabs matching the same domain.
Thanks for the attention. :wink:

(*) For those settings may be useful a pref panel in Tab Kit Advanced Options.
MondoWin ==> Italian site for information about MS Windows tweaking
Shingoshi

Post by Shingoshi »

This has likely been covered more than once. But I'm not sure I would find it if I searched. So I'm posting this here ad nauseam. I have this extension installed in Firefox-3.5.2 using Wine on Linux. In this version, the extension works well enough to be usable. However, in the native Linux version, I get a screen that looks like this (in Linux's Firefox):
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3056/tabkiterror.jpg
This what I believe should be the correct appearance (in Wine's Firefox):
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8621 ... orrect.jpg
The only problem I see in Wine with Firefox is that the tabs cannot be made wider than 250px. Consequently, I don't see a close tab button along the rightmost edge.

I've tried using Dom Inspector to fix this. However it seems the [class="tabs-container"] -moz-box-align doesn't accept the way I've tried to edit it. If you could give me a heads up on how to change the tabbar positioning, I would really appreciate it. And yes, I know this extension is not supposed to work with Tab Mix Plus. But point here is, that if the little issues can be removed one by one, in the end we may have no more incompatibility issues between the two extensions.

Let me state this. The only reason why I installed this extension, was to get a scrollbar for my tabs. If you know of a way to simply add a scrollbar without having to modify your extension, please let me know. Either that, or could you please release an extension that only provides a tab scrollbar which matches the location of the tabbar.
tab scrollbar left > tabbar left
tabbar right < tab scrollbar right
tabbar top = tab scrollbar above
tabbar bottom = tab scrollbar below
I hope that made sense!

Thank you very much,
Shingoshi
The distribution of knowledge must not be the commodity of tyranny.
Solution: The immediate equalization of all knowledge among all beings.
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

RNiK wrote:Here you are a suggestion for Tab Kit grouping by domain behaviour. (...)
When changing domain in a colored/grouped tab [tab group should update]

As explained, I didn't do this because I through this would be confusing, but I'm starting to agree that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. I'll continue to track this on its UserVoice page.

Shingoshi wrote:in the native Linux version, I get a screen that looks like this (in Linux's Firefox):
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3056/tabkiterror.jpg
This what I believe should be the correct appearance (in Wine's Firefox):
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8621 ... orrect.jpg
The only problem I see in Wine with Firefox is that the tabs cannot be made wider than 250px. Consequently, I don't see a close tab button along the rightmost edge.
(...)
And yes, I know this extension is not supposed to work with Tab Mix Plus.
(...)
The only reason why I installed this extension, was to get a scrollbar for my tabs. If you know of a way to simply add a scrollbar without having to modify your extension, please let me know.

Please report bugs like this to http://code.google.com/p/tabkit/issues as requested.
Looks like a conflict with another extension or theme. Try installing Tab Kit alone in a fresh profile (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+Profiles) to see if it's clashing with other addons (and if so you can find out which).
Not sure why you can't make your tabs wider than 250px, but you should get close buttons well before that anyway (see this pref).
If you're using Tab Kit with Tab Mix Plus, then that would probably explain the problems you are having. Tab Mix Plus makes major changes to tabs, making it very hard to be compatible, and Tab Kit already provides alternatives for most of its useful features anyway.
To get a horizontal tab bar with scrollbar try Tab Overflow Scrollbar.
To get a vertical tab bar with scrollbar (without using Tab Kit) you can try Tree Style Tab.

Please remember that this thread is deprecated.
Creator of:
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
riowong

Post by riowong »

Hi there, will you consider about adding the feature of closing tab direction control? :)
kobik

Post by kobik »

Hi Jomel,
Once again, great work!
One thing missing from TabKit is group manipulation.
Hence, I would like to easily add or remove tabs to/from groups.
Do you think it would be possible to be implemented?
lythande

Re: breaks backforword history menu in new menu

Post by lythande »

Jomel wrote:
juhp wrote:sometimes I have to open a second Firefox window and then the BackForward buttons' history dropdown is unusable since it becomes tiny with no text.

This sounds like a conflict with another extension or theme. Have you tried running Tab Kit in a new profile?

I have, and yes, it still does this. Any secondary window opened only shows the favicons in the back/forward list.

Using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) and TK 0.5.8.

Jomel wrote:see my design challenge entry (search for "John Mellor" on http://design-challenge.mozilla.com/sum ... owcase.php).

Unfortunately this is only good for those who use a vertical tab bar. I prefer my tabs on top, and I don't like sidebars. There are some ideas in this presentation I like, and some I don't, but since the main idea is a vertical sidebar of tabs... At one point it sounded like you were suggesting a combination of TK and TMT, which was a very good idea. Which reminds me... is TMT planning to implement an easy way of reopening a whole group of tabs? Currently I have about 600 rows (okay, so that's an exaggeration) because I have to send each group to a separate row in order to use the open entire row feature of TMT.

By the way, were you eating when you recorded this? ;)

MajMac wrote:Is it possible though to color ungrouped tabs as well? It's kinda sad to look at a lonely, uncolored tab

I wouldn't like this, as I have many groups, and often they are collapsed (which means the ungrouped tabs would get confused with my groups), so if it happens, I hope it is an option. (As a reminder, I prefer my tabs in rows across the top.)

Jomel wrote:3. Go to about:config and set browser.tabs.tabClipWidth to something tiny like 1 (tabClipWidth is the minimum width a tab must be for a close button to be shown, and overrides the built-in show closebuttons on all tabs preference).

Thanks for that, I was wondering about it myself. But does this need a restart to become effective? I just did it and still have a close "X" only on my current tab.

[Edit: Yes, it does. I just did an involuntary restart (kid tripped over my cord and unplugged me), and it now shows a close tab on all tabs.]

Jomel wrote:
firefdr wrote:Any updates comming soon? I wanna remove those "open a new tab" and "list all tabs" buttons.

The open new tab I can do without, since I have that on my FF toolbar, but as I use tabs, not a sidebar, I still want a list of tabs button. What I would like in place of the open new tab button, though, is a button to get quickly to TK's options dialog. Same with TMT, which it had when I first installed, but has apparently been removed in an update. I really miss this.

And yes, I know this forum is depreciated, but I already had this done before I got to that post. I'm going to copy the above over to uservoice, but I don't know if all the quote thingies will work.

[Edit: No, they didn't, and that's another PITA site. I also started a new ticket on the back/forward button issue over on the new bug site.]
Sometimes my brain works too fast for my mind to keep up.
roseypetal

Post by roseypetal »

I'm having problems.

My tabs used to open correctly.

Correctly = new tabs open on the right of the current tab (or the right of the recent children of the current tab if there are any)

Now they open all over the place, randomly amongst tabs previously opened.

I have reinstalled tab kit, and have the default settings, and it still does this. It's a mess! Why is this happening?
TheBorgInvasion

Post by TheBorgInvasion »

I do not know if the developers keep track easier the posts than I, as it seems 5 new pages were added since I last came on. If I could add two suggestions and see if they get noticed. If not, please let me know and I will post them elsewhere.

When closing a tab, it would be nice for the previous tab to become the active tab, instead of the tab above the (now) closed one. Say you got 50 tabs. You are at tab #6 and you open a new one and it goes to the bottom of the list. You close that new tab, but now the active tab is #49 and you have to go find #6 again. Be nice if the active tab because the previous used tab.

A tab finder. Got 50 tabs or more? A small box that can search keywords of the tab names, sites, or content to find the tab you want.

That is it. Hope it helps. Thank you for reading.
Christian; warrior; GSPer; Borg; ninja; Time Lord... I am that hero! La resistenza è, ed è stato sempre, inutile.
I reply as fast as I can but could be hours/months. What you call resurrection of old posts, I call "following up on my time." Always very busy and dreaming of sleep.

[Banned]