[Ext] Tab Kit 0.5.7 (2009-07-06)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
deadman36g

Post by deadman36g »

Another feature of TMP that would be nice for this is the Undo Closed Tab button

Also, I was able (for the most part) to get this and TMP to play nicley together except when I have the Roboform extension enabled. If I disable Roboform they play nice, any ideas on why this is?
jackmchugh

Will not download for me

Post by jackmchugh »

I get the error that the file hash is bad and the file may be corrupted and the install aborts....

anyone else getting this error?
deadman36g

Post by deadman36g »

Is this still being developed?

There is a problem with this extension and the Roboform Toolbar for Firefox. If you move the roboform toolbar anywhere except for the default location it causes tab gropuing to no longer work, it would love to see this fixed, it is the main thing keeping me from using this.

Also, if it is no longer being developed is there an alternative?
PAStheLoD

Post by PAStheLoD »

Unfortunately, no word from the dev for a long time :/
deadman36g

Post by deadman36g »

That is a shame, hopefully he will pop up or someone can pick up the pieces and make a similar extension.
Steven Avery

highlight/blink streaming audio

Post by Steven Avery »

Hi Folks,

While we await.. I would like to see whatever tab is streaming music or audio to be blinking or something, either all the time, or optionally. Does any Tab utility have that feature ?

Thanks for the answers above. I will try Tab Clicking Options for unclose. My speed of closing tabs seems to have improved to a reasonable speed, the problem may have been related to a VPN thing that was effecting browsing.

Shalom,
Steven
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

PAStheLoD wrote:Unfortunately, no word from the dev for a long time :/

Oops, for some reason mozillaZine stopped sending me email notifications for this thread, I had no idea people were asking so many questions.

Anyway, good news: I've updated it for Firefox 3. Everything mostly works the same, but in practice it's a lot faster because Fx3 has been optimised for large numbers of tabs. You can download it from the AMO sandbox as usual.

I'm afraid I'm going to be extremely busy between now and the summer, so won't be able to do any further updates though.

Time for some replies:

PAStheLoD wrote:Ok, I catched the little bugger in the act. Opening links from external applications like Thunderbird causes Minefield to open a new window.
Fixed

Dawudd wrote:Activating a rocker gesture while hovering over a link usually does not work. Rather, the left-click takes precedence. From some testing, it appears that the gesture does work when the previous/next page is already in the fastback cache. (Edit: Thus, it seems the problem is that normal left-click still occurs in addition to, and right after, the gesture.)
You're right, this happens in Tab Kit too. For now I'd simply suggest not doing rocker gestures while over links, but I'll look into it.

Leak wrote:
Jomel wrote:
neoborn wrote:5. The scrollbar feature for tabs is it the same one as Tab Browser Preferences etc?
Um, there isn't actually a scrollbar feature. Though I could add one if it would make people happy.

Well, it was the killer feature from Too Many Tabs! (remember that one? ;)) for me, so here's another request for it - I very much miss easily zooming through all tabs with the mouse...
Ok, it's on the todo list. By the way I forgot to mention that if you have the tabbar vertical you do get a scrollbar for that (as well as being able to see more tabs at once)...

Steven Avery wrote:I have a blank space for the 2nd and 3rd and 4th row when I only have one row open (ie. all rows other than the first are there as blank rather than collapsing upwards, tabs on top). Apparently, once I get to the 2nd row it straightens out and the real estate comes back. (I can send a pic if that will help with the names of other extensions).
Not quite sure what you mean, a pic would be useful if you're still getting that. Try using the default theme if you're not already (there are many things themes can do that mess up multi-row/vertical tabs).

wooger wrote:The extension will stop working entirely for me whenever I set the sidebar panel to be shown along the right hand edge of the window - I always have the tab bar set to be on the left.
Strange. Do you see this with the Fx3 version too?

closetpacifist wrote:Also, a question: I've seen mentions of a sidebar, but not how to open it; is there a key command or something?
It's not a sidebar per-se, but you can set your tabs to be vertical by setting 'The tab bar should be shown [along the left edge] of the window' in the Tab Bar tab of Tab Kit Options.

closetpacifist wrote:Only suggestion I have is maybe some way to select a tab group's color. I get used to each subject-based group being a certain color so it throws me off a little when I have to regroup them and they end up a different one.
I do occasionally hear this, but I don't want to clutter up the menus with too many minor options. The current version tries to pick sensible colours (in that adjacent groups will have different colours). In most cases you can generate a new colour by: 1. Select the first tab of the group 2. Right-click the last tab of the group and pick Tab Kit->Group Tabs From Here To Current (but note that this will continue to make sure that adjacent groups have different colours, so the new colours will be restricted)

george27 wrote:The "open all in tabs" in the bookmarks doesn't work on middle click.
I think I fixed this; it certainly works in Fx3 now.

Yansky wrote:Is there any way to enable the close button to be show on each tab and also have a button at the end of the taskbar?
Sorry, there isn't. You could set it to show at the end of the tabbar and use middle-click to close individual tabs.

Deadman36g wrote:1. I would like it so that when I close a tab it will switch to the last one I was viewing instead of the of the one furthest right.
You could try FLST.

Deadman36g wrote:2. I would like to see a progress bar inside the tab
Yes, I like this idea, I may have a go at some point.

Deadman36g wrote:3. I would love to see the abilty to hover over a tab for a set amount of time, and the tab be automatically selected.
I'll look into it...

Deadman36g wrote:Another feature of TMP that would be nice for this is the Undo Closed Tab button
Try the Undo Closed Tabs Button extension. Of course you can just right-click the tabbar and choose Undo Closed Tab.

Deadman36g wrote:Also, I was able (for the most part) to get this and TMP to play nicley together except when I have the Roboform extension enabled. If I disable Roboform they play nice, any ideas on why this is?
I'm actually slightly surprised that it worked at all with TMP, but cool. As for Roboform, sorry, I have no idea.

Steven Avery wrote:I would like to see whatever tab is streaming music or audio to be blinking or something, either all the time, or optionally. Does any Tab utility have that feature?
I'd like this too, but I don't think it's actually possible (see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=334987).
Creator of:
- Tab Kit: Tab grouping, multi-rows, tree view, and various tweaks for power users
- Tabs Open Relative: Tabs open right of current
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
george27

Post by george27 »

george27 wrote:
The "open all in tabs" in the bookmarks doesn't work on middle click.
I think I fixed this; it certainly works in Fx3 now.

First, thanks for all the work you have put into this extension. In FF3 on a new profile with only Tab Kit 4pre installed, if you open the a folder of bookmarks using the "Open All in Tabs" they overwrite all the existing tabs. Is there any way to get them to open as a group without overwritting anything?

In Too Many Tabs! there was the horizontal scrollbar below the tabs feature when there was an x amount of tabs, can you implement this feature for those of use who don't use the sidebar. I feel that Too Many Tabs! worked way better than Tab Overflow Scrollbar. If you have Tab Overflow Scrollbar scrolled to the last tab and you close it it jumps back a distance behind the the active tab obscuring it.
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

george27 wrote:In FF3 on a new profile with only Tab Kit 4pre installed, if you open the a folder of bookmarks using the "Open All in Tabs" they overwrite all the existing tabs. Is there any way to get them to open as a group without overwritting anything?
I'm afraid I can't reproduce this at all. If you [left-]click Open All in Tabs the first bookmark should replace the current tab, and the rest be inserted next to the current tab (your remaining tabs remain untouched). If you middle-click it the bookmark group should open as an entirely new group, without touching even the current tab. Either way, you should never see more than one of your existing tabs being replaced (in fact the old Fx behaviour that used to do this was changed directly in Fx3, so I can't see how it's even possible). Could you give me exact steps to reproduce? And what OS are you on?

george27 wrote:In Too Many Tabs! there was the horizontal scrollbar below the tabs feature when there was an x amount of tabs, can you implement this feature for those of use who don't use the sidebar.
Yes, this is something I definitely plan to (re)implement, though afraid I won't have time for at least the next month and a half.
Creator of:
- Tab Kit: Tab grouping, multi-rows, tree view, and various tweaks for power users
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
D555

Post by D555 »

Jomel
Could you plase to port TabKit for SeaMonkey2x ... it's needed so much.
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

D555 wrote:Could you plase to port TabKit for SeaMonkey2x ... it's needed so much.

Hi D555, unfortunately there are significant differences in the code for Seamonkey, making it a lot of effort to port tab extensions (significantly more than for many other kinds of extension). I'm afraid this isn't something I'm interested in doing at the moment.
Creator of:
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
alinford

Post by alinford »

I use tab groups extensively. I would like to be able to do 3 things things:
1 - Go back to the original page for a tab
2 - Go back to original page on all tabs
3 - Option to close all tabs before a group launches
Austin
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

alinford wrote:I use tab groups extensively. I would like to be able to do 3 things things:
1 - Go back to the original page for a tab
2 - Go back to original page on all tabs
3 - Option to close all tabs before a group launches

1. Try the Rewind/Fastforward Buttons addon.
  2. I'm struggling to think of when this would be useful - but the above addon would at least make it easier.
  3. You could just close all but one tab (e.g. right-click on the first tab and choose Close Tabs Below) then launch the group. I wouldn't want to make this automatic - it seems far too easy to forget about it and accidentally lose a ton of tabs.
Creator of:
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
alinford

Post by alinford »

Rewind/Fastforward does not really do what I am looking for.

The way I use my browser for work, (as do most people in my industry), is to launch a group of tabs so that we can monitor and manage portfolios on different tabs. We may browse around within the portfolio on each tab, but often need to get back to the tab's original portfolio page. Sometimes, we need to return all of the tabs to their original portfolio pages. At points, because we may have opened many other tabs, we just want to start all over. Currently, the easiest way to do that in FF is to close all tabs except one, and then relaunch the group.

Most of the people I know in my industry use Maxthon right now because there is a tab management plugin that does those 3 things.
Austin
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

You could try SnapBack then, which lets you mark special urls, and later return to them at the press of a button. For starting over again I'd suggest just opening a new window, opening the group there, and closing the old window.
Creator of:
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite