[Ext] Tab Kit 0.5.7 (2009-07-06)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
neoborn

Post by neoborn »

I am really excited about this development! I have been looking for a way to group my tabs for a long time with no suitable solution found as of yet. Here is my feedback, would love to hear yours:

1. Grouping manually by subject / content - I open many tabs that are related by content i.e. Bodybuilding sites, Video Entertainment sites, Health sites etc that share no same parent or grouping other than the subject, my question is how can I manually add these to a group and assign a particular color to them?

2. Minimum and maximum width of tabs - Is this going to be added in the near future? I like both the maximum and minimum width of a tab to be 100, nothing more and nothing less is this possible to be added? = )

3. Double click to close? - I hate the close buttons is there a way to double click to close? I don't like to compare but TMP, of which I am a longtime user, has this feature where I can choose what action I want to do what for example ctrl and click on tab opens dupe tab etc.

4. If I have a parent and five children how do I see what the children are?

5. The scrollbar feature for tabs is it the same one as Tab Browser Preferences etc?

6. Opening all bookmarks, history, search and address into a new tab not the current tab. For instance if crashed and I have to open all my tabs from bookmarks in TMP I could just click any of the history link and they all open in new tabs whereas now I have to right click and choose "open in new tab" which is a serious PITA. = )

7. When closing a tab I would like it to just flip back to the last selected tab ...please?

I am most certainly a power user and have many tabs open most of the time. Also just so you know I have no use for a sidebar as I like as much screen as possible so I don't use that and I have no use for multiple rows either ( I really dislike that )

Thanks for this, honestly, I for one applaud your grouping Tab creation, just needs some refining IMHO.

Neoborn

TAB Kit: 8/10 needs tweaking.
"What is real? How do you define real? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then real is simply, electrical signals interpreted by your brain."
george27

Post by george27 »

Great extension it is the feature I used TBE for. Ist it possible to get tab groups to open in all new tabs? Everytime I open a group of bookmarks the focus tab is loaded with a new page and the others to it's right. Is it possisble to get the group to open next to the focused tab and not overwrite it? tia
Wizard-mag

Post by Wizard-mag »

I am Jakub Kaplan, the guy who e-mailed you about this extension four times. I decided that this would perhaps be a better communication channel to express my points about this extension. But again, as in the e-mail, I thank you very much for it.

Apart from the suggestions made in the e-mails, I have one more. You could add an option that when applied would move the top/bottom tab bar to a left/right sidebar after the maximum number of tab rows on top/bottom tab bar would be breached while obeying the minimal tab width set in the extension's options.

That behavour would enable users to dynamically optimize the space taken by tab bar. For example when a user (like myself in this case) most of the time uses up to 20 tabs at the same time, he/she can probably cope with them comfortably through multi-row top/bottom tab bar. However, the user can occasionally use a significantly higher number of tabs (for example 50), which is better to cope with through sidebar, which, on the other side, is rather space infeffective when having a smaller number of tabs like 20, since there are relatively few tabs at the top of it and the rest of it is blank.

This would therefore allow a smooth automatic switching between the two modes.

Post by ******** »

could you add "lock tab" and "lock tab group" to the featureset?

thanks for this extension and all your hard work.
PAStheLoD

Post by PAStheLoD »

Just wondering, will there be a Firefox 3 compatible version? :)
pks

Can't see rows of tabs

Post by pks »

Can't see rows of tabs. Does it depend on tab width. Is there a way to create a new row explicitly?
Old Dawudd

Post by Old Dawudd »

Jomel wrote:The whole mouse gestures bit could easily just be a userChrome.js snippet, but it was too small and nice not to include!

Neither desertfox’s script (as he pointed out) nor <a href="http://www.xuldev.org/misc/script/MouseGestures2.uc.js">this one</a> work properly. I think the world deserves a userChrome.js mouse rocker snippet that actually works. :)
jvornehm

Love it! Suggestions...

Post by jvornehm »

I love it! Now I can finally keep all my FF tabs in one window. :-)

I can confirm that Create New Group From Consecutive Tabs is broken in FF 2.0.0.8 with a clean profile and all options set to their initial defaults. (I had DOM Inspector and Talkback installed, FWIW, but nothing else.)

A suggestion for tree-like layout: Is it possible to implement tab trees using the tree control from the Bookmarks Manager? That might save some coding time and provide a consistent appearance. Maybe you could have tab trees be a user option that is off by default.
PAStheLoD

Post by PAStheLoD »

Any response from the developer? :)
Jomel

I'm back!

Post by Jomel »

Firstly, sorry to have been so quiet - I've been very busy since releasing Tab Kit, and what little time I've been able to spare on Tab Kit I've tried to spend improving it, though in hindsight the occasional progress report might have been useful!

I should point out that I have been reading all the posts/emails I get, even if I haven't yet had time to reply!

On the plus side, version 0.3 is now ready :)

Changelog:
  • Automatically picks group colors which are different from those of nearby groups
  • Option to automatically collapse inactive groups
  • Reworked tab dragging
    • Shift-drag will drag a whole group together, even across windows
    • Ctrl-drag copies dragged tabs, and Ctrl-Shift-drag copies a group (n.b. Cmd instead of Ctrl on Mac)
    • Dragged tabs now gain the appropriate tree indentation (instead of resetting it) when in indented tree mode
    • There is now an option to make Shift-drag move subtrees instead of groups (when in indented tree mode)
    • Fix: Tab drop indicator no longer flashes (and sometimes prevents a drag) in vertical tab bar mode (unless you drag directly over the arrow - this is almost inevitable)
  • New "Group Tabs From Here To Current" command will group tabs between the selected tab and the right-clicked tab (this replaces the broken and long-winded "Create New Group From Consecutive Tabs")
  • Added "Close Subtree" command to close a tab and its child tabs
  • Ctrl-middleclick on a tab group closes it, or alternatively Ctrl-click a tab's close button (n.b. Cmd instead of Ctrl on Mac)
  • Similarly Ctrl-Shift-middleclick on a tab closes the subtree it is parent of, or alternatively Ctrl-Shift-click the close button
  • Replaced "Close Other Tabs" with "Close Tabs Before" and "Close Tabs After" (optionally)
  • Added Options button to Tab Kit tab context submenu for quick access
  • Fix: Double-clicking tab close buttons (when closing several tabs in a row) now closes the tab instead of collapsing its group
  • Fix: The splitter now hides if the tab bar is hidden (only one tab)
If no-one finds any major bugs I intend to take this out of the Sandbox

Now for some long overdue replies!

Zalusithix wrote:I definitely think an automated checking algorithm is a great idea. I don't see why this has to be exclusive to a manual override option though
Automated checking is now done. And you can use Group Tabs From Here To Current to make it find a new colour for a group.

bob4mary wrote:Is there any possibility of making the big white space under the tabs (when they are left or right) be the same as the colour behind the tabs when they are across the top or bottom?
Done

bob4mary wrote:Now for the really picky one, how about a bevel on the top edges (or maybe just one corner) of the tabs when they are on the left or right?
Try adding the following to your userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

tabbrowser#content[vertitabbar] .tabbrowser-tab .tab-image-left,
tabbrowser#content[vertitabbar] .tabbrowser-tab .tab-image-right {
   display: -moz-box !important;
}
In future though I'm considering showing these bevels at the start and end of groups, to make that clearer.

neoborn wrote:1. Grouping manually by subject / content - I open many tabs that are related by content i.e. Bodybuilding sites, Video Entertainment sites, Health sites etc that share no same parent or grouping other than the subject, my question is how can I manually add these to a group and assign a particular color to them?
You can now use the Group Tabs From Here To Current feature (in the tab right-click menu) to do this.

neoborn wrote:2. Minimum and maximum width of tabs - Is this going to be added in the near future? I like both the maximum and minimum width of a tab to be 100, nothing more and nothing less is this possible to be added? = )
Min width has always been available under Tab Kit Options -> Tabs. I don't have an option for max width, but in practice this is irrelevant once you have more than a handful of tabs...

neoborn wrote:3. Double click to close? - I hate the close buttons is there a way to double click to close? I don't like to compare but TMP, of which I am a longtime user, has this feature where I can choose what action I want to do what for example ctrl and click on tab opens dupe tab etc.
Hmm, I'll think about adding more flexibility. In the meantime, I suggest you get a scroll mouse - as well as being great for scrolling webpages, on Windows at least you can middle-click (press down on the wheel) to close tabs :)

neoborn wrote:4. If I have a parent and five children how do I see what the children are?
Child tabs can only be distinguished if you set the tab bar to vertical (with tree indents). Otherwise they'll just appear like any other grouped tab (i.e. coloured).

neoborn wrote:5. The scrollbar feature for tabs is it the same one as Tab Browser Preferences etc?
Um, there isn't actually a scrollbar feature. Though I could add one if it would make people happy.

neoborn wrote:6. Opening all bookmarks, history, search and address into a new tab not the current tab. For instance if crashed and I have to open all my tabs from bookmarks in TMP I could just click any of the history link and they all open in new tabs whereas now I have to right click and choose "open in new tab" which is a serious PITA. = )
Bookmarks and history you can Ctrl-click (or middleclick) to open them in tabs. Search and address bar you can press Alt-Enter instead of pressing Enter to open them in a new tab. I'm afraid I don't really see the point of adding options to make these always open in tabs, when it's often useful to have the choice.

neoborn wrote:7. When closing a tab I would like it to just flip back to the last selected tab ...please?
Try the LastTab extension.

george27 wrote:Is it possible to get tab groups to open in all new tabs? Everytime I open a group of bookmarks the focus tab is loaded with a new page and the others to it's right. Is it possible to get the group to open next to the focused tab and not overwrite it? tia
Yes, if you middleclick (press the wheel on a scroll mouse) these they will open in new tabs (this is the same behaviour being introduced for Firefox 3). Unfortunately I'm not sure there's anything you can do if you don't have a middle mouse button / scroll wheel.

Wizard-mag wrote:I am Jakub Kaplan, the guy who e-mailed you about this extension four times. I decided that this would perhaps be a better communication channel to express my points about this extension. But again, as in the e-mail, I thank you very much for it.

Apart from the suggestions made in the e-mails, I have one more. You could add an option that when applied would move the top/bottom tab bar to a left/right sidebar after the maximum number of tab rows on top/bottom tab bar would be breached while obeying the minimal tab width set in the extension's options.
Hi Jakub, sorry, I've been as bad at replying to your forum post as to your emails - I really do appreciate the feedback though! I'm afraid I don't really like the sound of automatically switching between vertical and horizontal tab bars though - that sounds incredibly jarring! I have however added an Options link to the Tab Kit part of the tab context menu, so you should be able to switch between the two slightly faster.

desertfox wrote:could you add "lock tab" and "lock tab group" to the featureset?
Hmm, I'll add that to the Todo list I suppose. I wonder if Permatabs might help in the meantime?

PAStheLoD wrote:Just wondering, will there be a Firefox 3 compatible version? :)
Yes, definitely, there haven't been too many changes to tabs so it shouldn't be excessively difficult. I'm afraid I can't make any guarantees as to how long it will take though (or whether it'll be ready by the time Firefox 3 comes out, though I'll try).

pks wrote:Can't see rows of tabs. Does it depend on tab width. Is there a way to create a new row explicitly?
Make sure "Show the tab bar on multiple rows" is checked under Tab Kit Options -> Tab Bar, and that "Tab (minimum) width" is something reasonable like 100 under Tab Kit Options -> Tabs, then open, say, 20 tabs and the tabs should run onto two (or more) rows. Note that this might not work if you use a custom theme (or if you use the default theme on a Mac).

Old Dawudd wrote:
Jomel wrote:The whole mouse gestures bit could easily just be a userChrome.js snippet, but it was too small and nice not to include!

Neither desertfox’s script (as he pointed out) nor <a href="http://www.xuldev.org/misc/script/MouseGestures2.uc.js">this one</a> work properly. I think the world deserves a userChrome.js mouse rocker snippet that actually works. :)
Ok, here you go: http://pastebin.mozilla.org/236402. Options are in the first couple of lines and correspond to those in Tab Kit. This is taken almost directly out of Tab Kit, so I may have left in some irrelevant stuff, though I think it's reasonably clean.

jvornehm wrote:A suggestion for tree-like layout: Is it possible to implement tab trees using the tree control from the Bookmarks Manager? That might save some coding time and provide a consistent appearance. Maybe you could have tab trees be a user option that is off by default.
That could work, but I decided to do it this way (by forcing the existing tab bar into a tree shape), as this way I don't have to recreate all the standard tab things (like the tab context menu), and I also maintain better compatibility with other extensions.

Hope you all like it :)
Creator of:
- Tab Kit: Tab grouping, multi-rows, tree view, and various tweaks for power users
- Tabs Open Relative: Tabs open right of current
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
PAStheLoD

Post by PAStheLoD »

Thanks for the heads up.

Should I whine about the bugs on Mindefield (3.0a9pre) or should I wait for the update that's really compatible?
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

PAStheLoD wrote:Should I whine about the bugs on Mindefield (3.0a9pre) or should I wait for the update that's really compatible?
Actually, it would be quite helpful if someone could collect a list of issues with Minefield (preferably with precise steps to reproduce), so I know what to work on - just don't expect overly prompt replies :)
Creator of:
- Tab Kit: Tab grouping, multi-rows, tree view, and various tweaks for power users
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
PAStheLoD

Post by PAStheLoD »

So I'll write them down.

All extensions disabled except Compact Menu 2 (I can't get menu to reset.. and I don't want to reset it with the Safe Mode), and Tab Kit of course.

The tab bar's height is about 1,5 of the normal for this skin (I'm using Littlefox). I don't have problems with the default skin. Except that's ugly ^.^
Tab Kit seems to screw up 'one windows mode'.

Otherwise it seems fine :]
DavidRegev

Re: I'm back!

Post by DavidRegev »

Jomel wrote:Ok, here you go: http://pastebin.mozilla.org/236402. Options are in the first couple of lines and correspond to those in Tab Kit. This is taken almost directly out of Tab Kit, so I may have left in some irrelevant stuff, though I think it's reasonably clean.

Goodbye Mouse Gestures! Thank you.
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

PAStheLoD wrote:The tab bar's height is about 1,5 of the normal for this skin (I'm using Littlefox). I don't have problems with the default skin. Except that's ugly ^.^
Tab Kit seems to screw up 'one windows mode'.

Otherwise it seems fine :]

Wow, I was expecting worse problems in Minefield! (I know of at least a couple of other things, e.g. Bookmark Group won't work)

Unfortunately using Tab Kit with themes other than the default Windows/Linux theme risks breaking even in Firefox 2 - there are some things I can do to improve this, but there are also things themes can do that I can't possibly allow for (especially in multi-row or vertical tab bar modes). In multi-row mode, I have to override the tab bar height to make sure that the rows are all the right height and that scrolling through the rows is exact.

What exactly do you mean by "screw up 'one windows mode'" though? That could well be a bug (or several), but I can't really tell without more information ;)
Creator of:
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite