[Ext] Tab Kit 0.5.7 (2009-07-06)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
SlimShady

Re: [Ext] Tab Kit 0.5.6 (2009-04-27)

Post by SlimShady »

v0.5.6 has issues with closing the last tab on Fx 3.5. I get a tabbrowser.xml error in the console.
dazzler22

Tab Kit 0.5.6 isn't working

Post by dazzler22 »

Version 0.5.6 has stopped working all of a sudden. I use FF version 3.1.10 on Windows Vista. I'm very upset because I've started living off of the functions. FF just isn't right without this add-on :(
dazzler22

Tab Kit 0.5.6 not working

Post by dazzler22 »

Version 0.5.6 has stopped working all of a sudden. I use FF version 3.1.10 on Windows Vista. I'm very upset because I've started living off of the functions. FF just isn't right without this add-on :(
SlimShady

Post by SlimShady »

You'll have to disable it until a compatible version is done.
hackel

Post by hackel »

I love TabKit so far, but do have 3 suggestions you might want to consider. First, what aw130300 mentioned about about memory leakage is extremely urgent and should be your priority if you have time to work on this.

Now, I should mention that I prefer to have TabKit at the top in a single row and I find the coloured tabs very distracting. I would suggest making use of the coloured stripe at the top of the active tab (seen in FF without TabKit), and using that to distinguish different groups. I don't know if this is specific to the default Tango theme or not, but I think it would look nicer and more polished visually. Also, there is no separation between the tabs. Especially within a single group, it appears to be one large box of a single colour. If it is possible, I would like to see the tabs have the same look and feel as standard FF3.5, but with the coloured tops to distinguish groups as I mentioned above.

I also would like the ability to navigate only the tabs that I see, so if a group is collapsed, pressing Ctrl+PageUp/Down will treat it as a single tab and skip over the rest of the tabs in that group, instead of expanding it as it now does. The lack of keyboard navigation really limits the usability of this for me.

Finally, I would love it if you could implement the "hibernate" feature seen in TabGroups Manager (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10254). This would extraordinarily useful for people who often switch among multiple projects throughout the day. I currently do this with either different windows or separate FF profiles. It would be great if I could do it all from one!

Anyway, thanks for this extension, it's great!

Cheers,
Ryan
awedmortal

autohide and auto or manual show vertical tabbar

Post by awedmortal »

is it possible, either in Tab Kit or using another campatable extension, to "auto-hide" a vertical bar of tabs, then show either with mouse or ctrl-key or some other key combo?

any tips will be appreciated.

thanks!
neodraig

Post by neodraig »

Hello,
I've got a problem with tab kit when I scroll through my tabs and when I've got one or more groups collapsed.
My tab bar is at the top, single row, and I've deactivated the "scrollwheel tab switch while the mouse is over tab bar" ( wich is activated by default) cause I really don't like it's behaviour, I prefer the regular one.
The problem is when I want to navigate through my tabs with the scrollwheel, the tab bar is behaving weirdly when a group is collapsed.
If the collapsed group is in the middle of other tabs, the entire row is skipped and it's difficult to reach the group even with the side arrows.
If the collapsed group is at the end of the row, when I scroll with the wheel it won't appear and I'll need to use the side arrow to make it appear.
I don't have that problem if the groups are expanded or if the "scrollwheel tab switch while the mouse is over tab bar" option is activated.

By the way could you add the possibility to personnalise the way the unread or current tab are highlighted, because I don't find those yellow or black bars really nice. I would prefer for instance that the unread tabs would be written in italic and grey, and for the current tab I would like it to be darker but in the same shade as the rest of the group.

PS: while I'm writting, I've discovered another problem. Even though the "show on all tabs" option for the close button is activated, it only appears on the active tab.
sddawson

Post by sddawson »

Just started playing with Tabkit, and am finding it very interesting. A couple of comments:

Like a previous poster, I think it would be nicer to have a more subtle way of colour-coding the tabs, maybe with that simple stripe. Lots of coloured tabs jars a bit on Mac. And I agree highlighting the active tab in black jars a bit too, and it would be nice if there were a better way to highlight the active tab.

Secondly, I'm using the default FF 3.5 theme. When Tabkit is enabled, it puts a thin line at the top of each tab, including the current one, that separates it from the line above (I'm not letting Tabkit override the theme, but it happens either way). Without Tabkit, the active tab blends nicely into the line above. Is it possible to change this some time?

Hope you don't mind a little "constructive criticism"! The extension really is brilliant and I'm sure I'll find it very useful.

Cheers.
firefdr

Post by firefdr »

Any updates comming soon?

I wanna remove those "open a new tab" and "list all tabs" buttons.
neodraig

Post by neodraig »

I tried on another computer (at work :p), and I still have the same problems: weird behaviour of the tab bar with collapsed groups, close button only on the current tab.
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

HunterZ wrote:I finally found the "group tabs from here to current" feature. Some issues though:

- in tree mode, it doesn't indent tabs added to a group via that feature, even if you collapse and re-expand that group (actually it's even worse than that; I currently have a group of 5 tabs, and the tab in the middle of the group is the only indented one!). I just turned the indent feature off because it seems to be pretty buggy.

- it would be more user-friendly if gorups could be created via some kind of modifier+drag action

Edit 3: It would also be nice if there were an option to have new tabs that are opened be automatically grouped with the current tab even if the current tab is not in a group

I plan to improve grouping tabs, see my design challenge entry (search for "John Mellor" on http://design-challenge.mozilla.com/sum ... owcase.php). Modifier+drag (e.g. Shift+drag) to group a range of tabs would be very effective (though not immediately obvious, so it would have to be well documented).
If all new tabs were automatically grouped with the current tab, this would mean unrelated tabs were grouped with it too, indeed all tabs would just be in one group unless the user manually interfered, which isn't very useful. However, look at the concept of tab lists in my design challenge entry - I think this provides the functionality you're looking for, of distinct 'workspaces' of tabs.

aw130300 wrote:
wsm wrote:Is tab Kit known to cause significantly increased memory over time?

(...)
With TK (as above), it reports (detail omitted): "Leaked 2 out of 15 DOM Windows. Leaked 25 out of 43 documents. Leaked 1 out of 7 docshells. Leaked content nodes in 35 out of 53 documents."

I don't know Leak Gauge, though I'll have a look at it. But wsm reports that Tab Kit's memory usage is virtually identical to Firefox without Tab Kit after 18 hours with hundreds of tabs, so memory usage doesn't seem to be an issue at the moment.

birbird wrote:Why does Tab Kit need to control the size of tab? Can you leave it for users to modify.

Another problem is the left padding in tab bar, I want to remove it, but did not find the way.

TabMixPlus provides a toolbar button to reopen the recently closed tabs, I thind this is a very useful feature. Can Tab Kit provide this feature too?

Tab Kit tries to be theme-independent where possible, and so must make sure tabs have a consistent height. But you can still override it by adding something like this:

Code: Select all

#main-window #content .tabbrowser-tab { min-height: 30px !important; }

As for the left padding, Firefox added that in Fx3. I'll remove it when I have some time...
Finally use Undo Closed Tabs Button (or Session Manager for more powerful functionality) for the undo closed tabs button.

seecureit wrote:I don't think the side bar was a great idea for tab kit - web pages usually spread down not across. I run all-in-one sidebar but on autohide, you cant really do that with tabs.

One suggestion I might make though, how about being able to manually choose the color of your tabs.

Surely the fact that web pages usually spread down not across means horizontal space is less important than vertical space, so a sidebar is good? And you can set tabs to autohide, though Tab Kit's current implementation is a bit all-or-nothing. Showing at least favicons while collapsed would help.
I suppose I could add an option to manually choose tab group colors, though I worry that it would clutter the (already quite full) tab context menu, without being particularly useful...

etom wrote:When you have browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab set to false, the behavior normally is that when you close the last tab with the close button or CTRL-W, you end up with a blank tab. With Tab Kit, it seems to blank out the title on the tab itself, jump the focus to the address bar but not actually blank out the tab or the address.

Good catch, I didn't know about this preference. Fixed in Tab Kit version 0.5.7 (until it gets reviewed, you'll have to click the See All Versions link to download it).
Creator of:
- Tab Kit: Tab grouping, multi-rows, tree view, and various tweaks for power users
- Tabs Open Relative: Tabs open right of current
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
etom

Post by etom »

Good catch, I didn't know about this preference. Fixed in Tab Kit version 0.5.7 (until it gets reviewed, you'll have to click the See All Versions link to download it).

Confirmed the new version works great. Thanks a bunch!!!
neodraig

Post by neodraig »

I have another problem, and it's really annoying.
When a link opens automaticly a new tab, another tab is highlighted (just the tab not the page) and I have to scroll though my tabs to find back my current tab. If I open the link manually, I don't have that problem.
I recall you that I've deactivated the "scrollwheel tab switch while the mouse is over tab bar", so I would really appreciaate that you fix that problem.
Thanx
RNiK

Post by RNiK »

How do "grouping by domain" work in Tab Kit? :?:

I've enabled this feature but as you can see in the screenshot below all tabs share the same background color.

I've configured the extension this way:
Image Image

Correct? :-k
MondoWin ==> Italian site for information about MS Windows tweaking
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

spuri wrote:Is it possible to add "focus on last selected tab" at the closing tab option?

This is a common request - it's on the todo list :)

SlimShady wrote:v0.5.6 has issues with closing the last tab on Fx 3.5. I get a tabbrowser.xml error in the console.

Fixed in Tab Kit version 0.5.7 (as I mentioned above). Until it gets reviewed, you'll have to click the See All Versions link to download it.

dazzler22 wrote:Version 0.5.6 has stopped working all of a sudden. I use FF version 3.1.10 on Windows Vista. I'm very upset because I've started living off of the functions. FF just isn't right without this add-on :(

Just saying "Stopped working" isn't very helpful... What doesn't work, and what causes it to happen? Try version 0.5.7 and see if that fixes it?

Everyone else - I'll get to you in a moment, I'm rather flooded with messages at the moment... :)
Creator of:
- Tab Kit: Tab grouping, multi-rows, tree view, and various tweaks for power users
- Tabs Open Relative: Tabs open right of current
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite