[Ext] Tab Kit 0.5.7 (2009-07-06)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
wsmwk

Re: [Ext] Tab Kit 0.5.6 (2009-04-27)

Post by wsmwk »

Jomel, You may be right. I just finished a long 18 hour test with tab kit enabled in one instance of FF, and tab kit disabled in a second instance using two profiles, same sessionstore.js and -no-remote. memory usage virtually identical after 18 hr. ~110 tabs in 9 windows FF 3.5 nightly build.

Guess I have more detective work to do
lythande

Post by lythande »

Jomel wrote:If you right-click a blank part of the tab bar (not a tab) then New Tab Here (and most other context menu items) will apply to the current tab; slightly counter-intuitive, I admit, but at least it's consistent.

But it doesn't apply to the current tab. I'm working in a tab somewhere in the middle of my set of multirows across the top (whole groups to the right, left, top and bottom); I point to the space at the end of my tabs and click on "new tab here". The blank tab, for a brief instant, appears to open where I want, but then jumps (still ungrouped) to the beginning of my tabs (#1 position). I can then move it to the end, but can this be fixed?

Jomel wrote:To reduce your memory usage, you might want to try combining Tab Kit with the TooManyTabs extension letting you temporarily unload tabs from memory. I am working with the authors to add the ability to store and retrieve entire tab groups at a time, making this more efficient.

I'm very excited about this addition! Any insight to the timeframe on it's inclusion?
Sometimes my brain works too fast for my mind to keep up.
hakunin

Post by hakunin »

Jomel wrote:Surprisingly I think it's the first time anyone's thought of that - good idea, it'll avoid accidentally marking tabs read when you flick through them!

Glad you find it useful, I'm looking forward to it. : )
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

wsm wrote:Jomel, You may be right. I just finished a long 18 hour test with tab kit enabled in one instance of FF, and tab kit disabled in a second instance using two profiles, same sessionstore.js and -no-remote. memory usage virtually identical after 18 hr. ~110 tabs in 9 windows FF 3.5 nightly build.

Guess I have more detective work to do

Thanks for reporting back - saves me from doing more tests myself :)

lythande wrote:
Jomel wrote:If you right-click a blank part of the tab bar (not a tab) then New Tab Here (and most other context menu items) will apply to the current tab; slightly counter-intuitive, I admit, but at least it's consistent.

But it doesn't apply to the current tab. I'm working in a tab somewhere in the middle of my set of multirows across the top (whole groups to the right, left, top and bottom); I point to the space at the end of my tabs and click on "new tab here". The blank tab, for a brief instant, appears to open where I want, but then jumps (still ungrouped) to the beginning of my tabs (#1 position). I can then move it to the end, but can this be fixed?

Hmm, I can't reproduce that. Does it happen in a clean profile?

lythande wrote:
Jomel wrote:To reduce your memory usage, you might want to try combining Tab Kit with the TooManyTabs extension letting you temporarily unload tabs from memory. I am working with the authors to add the ability to store and retrieve entire tab groups at a time, making this more efficient.

I'm very excited about this addition! Any insight to the timeframe on it's inclusion?

They were working on it as of 25th May, but I haven't heard anything since. There were a couple of minor open questions, such as how to maintain Tab Kit's group colors (especially since TMT has its own feature allowing you to color individual tabs). I hacked together a working prototype myself if you're desperate to try this, but I imagine the TMT devs will do a better job of integrating them.
Creator of:
- Tab Kit: Tab grouping, multi-rows, tree view, and various tweaks for power users
- Tabs Open Relative: Tabs open right of current
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

snaplinks extension (very cool) likes to open tabs at the top level. Is there a way to force it (or suggest to the extension author how) to open new tabs within the current tab group/hierarchy?
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

wsm wrote:snaplinks extension (very cool) likes to open tabs at the top level. Is there a way to force it (or suggest to the extension author how) to open new tabs within the current tab group/hierarchy?

Yes, I've already hardcoded support for it. Make sure you're using the Snap Links Plus version (http://snaplinks.mozdev.org/), and Tab Kit version 0.5.6+ (you'll have to use the See All Versions link until Mozilla get round to reviewing this version).
Creator of:
- Tab Kit: Tab grouping, multi-rows, tree view, and various tweaks for power users
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
lythande

Post by lythande »

Jomel wrote:
lythande wrote:

Hmm, I can't reproduce that. Does it happen in a clean profile?

Yes.
Sometimes my brain works too fast for my mind to keep up.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Jomel wrote:
wsm wrote:snaplinks extension (very cool) likes to open tabs at the top level. Is there a way to force it (or suggest to the extension author how) to open new tabs within the current tab group/hierarchy?

Yes, I've already hardcoded support for it. Make sure you're using the Snap Links Plus version (http://snaplinks.mozdev.org/), and Tab Kit version 0.5.6+ (you'll have to use the See All Versions link until Mozilla get round to reviewing this version).

Jomel, Thanks! It works like a champ.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

wsm wrote:
Jomel wrote:

Jomel, Thanks! It works like a champ.

That was on one machine. On a different machine I restarted FF with a new build FF 3.5 RC1/beta 4 (and a very large sessionstore). With the 0.5.6+ tab kit and snaplinks 0.0.5 the cpu spikes for 3-4 every several seconds. I disabled snap links and the problem stopped.

Also, just before I disabled snaplinks I was using FF 3.6a1pre (to see if the problem would go away) and when I used snaplinks the snaplines were stuck on the screen and no tabs opened.

updating to snaplinks 1.0.1 and retrying...
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

wsm wrote:That was on one machine. On a different machine I restarted FF with a new build FF 3.5 RC1/beta 4 (and a very large sessionstore). With the 0.5.6+ tab kit and snaplinks 0.0.5 the cpu spikes for 3-4 every several seconds. I disabled snap links and the problem stopped.

Also, just before I disabled snaplinks I was using FF 3.6a1pre (to see if the problem would go away) and when I used snaplinks the snaplines were stuck on the screen and no tabs opened.

updating to snaplinks 1.0.1 and retrying...

snaplinks 1.0.1 fails in the same way in FF 3.6a1, but no cpu spikes. Which were, by the way, debillitating - FF was "not responding" during every spike, including a second or two before the spike.

Tab Kit however is otherwise working fine in FF 3.6a1.
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

lythande wrote:
Does it happen in a clean profile?

Yes.

Hmm, I'll look into this some more...

wsm wrote:snaplinks 1.0.1 fails

Sorry, I don't use Snap Links myself so can't really help. I'm glad to hear Tab Kit works in 3.6a1, though little has changed yet since Fx 3.5. To avoid raising expectations I'm afraid I won't necessarily maintain support with the alphas, though I'll try and test it with most of the betas...
Creator of:
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Jomel wrote:
lythande wrote:
wsm wrote:snaplinks 1.0.1 fails

Sorry, I don't use Snap Links myself so can't really help. I'm glad to hear Tab Kit works in 3.6a1, though little has changed yet since Fx 3.5. To avoid raising expectations I'm afraid I won't necessarily maintain support with the alphas, though I'll try and test it with most of the betas...

It turns out the download link installs SLPlus v1.0.2. v1.0.2 doesn't work well per http://snaplinks.mozdev.org/drupal/
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Does tab kit + FF trunk implement "List all tabs" as images (as in http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8738/ffsearchtabs.png ) rather than just the textual list of tabs?

Whatever is causing it, I want to revert to text only
Jomel

Post by Jomel »

wsm wrote:Does tab kit + FF trunk implement "List all tabs" as images (as in http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8738/ffsearchtabs.png ) rather than just the textual list of tabs?

That's added by the Ctrl-Tab extension (I'm curious though - what use do you have for text-based list all tabs, when you already have your tab bar vertical showing almost exactly the same information?)
Creator of:
- Too Many Tabs!
- Crash Recovery Lite
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Jomel wrote:
wsm wrote:Does tab kit + FF trunk implement "List all tabs" as images (as in http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8738/ffsearchtabs.png ) rather than just the textual list of tabs?

That's added by the Ctrl-Tab extension (I'm curious though - what use do you have for text-based list all tabs, when you already have your tab bar vertical showing almost exactly the same information?)

I don't have Ctrl-Tab extension installed. ** But my vague recollection is FF 3.6 intended to implement such a feature.

Most of my tabs are bugs in bugzilla, typically 15-25 in a window. So very little of the text of the bug summary is exposed as can be seen in the screen shot. If I come back to a window after several days, you can appreciate that a simple list of all the tabs is quite handy.

** list of extensions
BlockSite 0.7.1 [DISABLED]
Buggybar 0.3 [DISABLED]
ChatZilla 0.9.85
Console² 0.3.10 [DISABLED]
Copy All Urls 0.8.0 [DISABLED]
Delicious Bookmarks 2.1.041 [DISABLED]
Flashblock 1.5.10
GMarks 0.9.9 [DISABLED]
Greasemonkey 0.8.20090123.1
HttpFox 0.8.4 [DISABLED]
LeechBlock 0.4.2.2 [DISABLED]