[Ext] Console² 0.8 [2011-07-15]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
squeaky

Re: [Ext] Console² 0.6.1 [2010-03-29]

Post by squeaky »

Philip Chee wrote:
squeaky wrote:I can't really see how a screenshot of a scrollbar that isn't there can help, but here it is anyway...
http://www.squeaky.org.uk/temp/console2.png

Thanks. Someone with the handle of "Mc" reported this to me on IRC. Not sure what I can do about it.

Phil

Wandering around the various helpful places available, while actually looking for something else, I remember seeing a way of forcing a word wrap. I "think" it was on MDN in the XUL tutorials, well buried... but it might point the way for you if you can find it.

Here ya go...

https://developer.mozilla.org/En/CSS/Word-wrap
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." Calvin & Hobbes
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

alta88 wrote:i've also sporadically (not) seen the missing horizontal scrollbar. sometimes lines wrap without it, sometimes not and show scrollbar, infrequently no wrap and no scrollbar. it is likely data related, possibly one immensely long line with no word break.

as an aside, do you foresee console2 being replaced by web console? will it get chrome errors? the big issues (filtered items nevertheless clog/push out the buffer) would be easier worked on in an updated codebase..

The web console will eventually handle chrome errors and other interesting features such as scratchpad (a javascript shell) and a source code editor.

Ever since Zeniko orphaned Console2, I've been keeping it on life support with small incremental patches, but eventually it will need a substantial rewrite. And when process separation (e.g. separate content/tab processes) comes in the nsIConsoleService is going away, making a rewrite necessary. I don't have the time and energy to do that so when it comes to the crunch, I'll probably do what Zeniko did and hang out a sign saying "New developer wanted". I could put it up in a Mercurial repository (cvs is rather jurassic) so that people could start contributing code if there is enough interest.

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

squeaky wrote:
Philip Chee wrote:
squeaky wrote:I can't really see how a screenshot of a scrollbar that isn't there can help, but here it is anyway...
http://www.squeaky.org.uk/temp/console2.png

Thanks. Someone with the handle of "Mc" reported this to me on IRC. Not sure what I can do about it.

Phil

Wandering around the various helpful places available, while actually looking for something else, I remember seeing a way of forcing a word wrap. I "think" it was on MDN in the XUL tutorials, well buried... but it might point the way for you if you can find it.

Here ya go...

https://developer.mozilla.org/En/CSS/Word-wrap

Welll yes making the label wrap is dead easy, but then the dotted pointer below it will be pointing at some empty space. I leaning towards a rich tooltip or panel that shows the whole line wrapped.

Phil
squeaky

Post by squeaky »

Try here...

I have a button made using Custom Buttons that pretty much wraps anything. Written using this reference...

Reference: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Using_ ... et_Service
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." Calvin & Hobbes
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

@Philip Chee
console2-0.7.1 and console2-0.8dev aren't compatible with Fx 5.0, the current release version. Do they just need a bump or do they need some code changes first?
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Alan Baxter wrote:@Philip Chee
console2-0.7.1 and console2-0.8dev aren't compatible with Fx 5.0, the current release version. Do they just need a bump or do they need some code changes first?

Just a version bump. But I first need to fix the duplicate menu item problem.

Phil
squeaky

Post by squeaky »

And the lack of horizontal scrollbar problem?

My current version is: 0.8b1
Morac

Post by Morac »

I updated from 0.7 to 0.7.1 in Firefox 5 and after that there were two "Error Console Ctrl-Shift-J" menu entries in the Firefox app tab -> Web Developer console: one below "Web console" and the other below "View Page Source". I went back to 0.7 and that removed the duplicate entry. Now only the one below "View Page Source" exists.

I see a "fix" in 0.7.1 is "Firefox App button Web Developer menu item changed id." That fix isn't needed as long as you set the "devtools.errorconsole.enabled" default to true (which you do) since that setting already adds an "Error Console" menu item.

Also, you don't need to set the "unpack=true" option in the install.rdf file since you don't have any binary components.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Morac wrote:I updated from 0.7 to 0.7.1 in Firefox 5 and after that there were two "Error Console Ctrl-Shift-J" menu entries in the Firefox app tab -> Web Developer console: one below "Web console" and the other below "View Page Source". I went back to 0.7 and that removed the duplicate entry. Now only the one below "View Page Source" exists.

I see a "fix" in 0.7.1 is "Firefox App button Web Developer menu item changed id." That fix isn't needed as long as you set the "devtools.errorconsole.enabled" default to true (which you do) since that setting already adds an "Error Console" menu item.

Also, you don't need to set the "unpack=true" option in the install.rdf file since you don't have any binary components.

Yup, Yup. 0.8b2 Appears to be working well. I'll package it as 0.8 and release it RSN.

Phil
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

@Phil,

Have you posted the version 0.8 xpi file anywhere yet? I have not been able to find it on either AMO or the mozdev page. Thanks.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

WildcatRay wrote:@Phil,

Have you posted the version 0.8 xpi file anywhere yet? I have not been able to find it on either AMO or the mozdev page. Thanks.

Oops I knew I forgot something. Thanks for reminding me.

Phil
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

No problem. Happens to the best of us. :wink:
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

WildcatRay wrote:Have you posted the version 0.8 xpi file anywhere yet? I have not been able to find it on either AMO or the mozdev page

and the front page :mrgreen:
My Firefox information | Add-ons | GitHub

"With great power, comes great desire to show it off."
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Zoolcar9 wrote:
WildcatRay wrote:Have you posted the version 0.8 xpi file anywhere yet? I have not been able to find it on either AMO or the mozdev page

and the front page :mrgreen:

Version 0.8 is now on the AMO and mozdev pages (links above). Thanks, Phil.
Ray

Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

morat wrote:In Console² 0.7 and Thunderbird 3.1, I have to mod the following pref value before I use the eval button.

editor.singleLine.pasteNewlines

2 - replace each newline with a space (default in Firefox 3.6)
4 - replace each newline with a comma (default in Thunderbird 3.1)

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Editor.single ... teNewlines

How about using the newlines attribute in the console2.xul file?

Code: Select all

<textbox id="TextboxEval" newlines="replacewithspaces"

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/XUL/Attribute/newlines

Fixed in In Console² v0.8. Thanks for the hint.

Phil