[Ext] Console² 0.8 [2011-07-15]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Morac

Re: [Ext] Console² 0.3.9 [2008-01-04]

Post by Morac »

I'm not sure why this happens but if Console2 0.3.9.2, GreaseMonkey 0.8.20080609.0 and Cooliris Previes 2.6.4 are all installed at the same time, the following error appears in the error console on any window open or close:

Error: this.docShell is null
Source file: chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml

This occurs even on a brand new profile with just those three add-ons installed. If any of the three add-ons is disabled the error goes away so it's a combination of the three causing the problem. It doesn't appear to actually cause problems as far as I can tell, but something is obviously wrong.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Morac wrote:I'm not sure why this happens but if Console2 0.3.9.2, GreaseMonkey 0.8.20080609.0 and Cooliris Previes 2.6.4 are all installed at the same time, the following error appears in the error console on any window open or close:

Error: this.docShell is null
Source file: chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml

This occurs even on a brand new profile with just those three add-ons installed. If any of the three add-ons is disabled the error goes away so it's a combination of the three causing the problem. It doesn't appear to actually cause problems as far as I can tell, but something is obviously wrong.
This sounds like Bug 412171 – In <browser.xml>, "Error: this.docShell is null", when the sidebar opens. I haven't looked at current implementations of Cooliris but I remember that they were using a <browser> element when I was helping them fix some bugs. If they still are, they should add disablehistory="true" to their browser element. Unfortunately each extension will have to use this workaround (I've already fixed it in xSidebar) until the base bug (Bug 408668 – Browser should check if it is in the root docshell before wiring up session history) is fixed.

p.s. if in place of Greasemonkey in your triad, you substitute any extension that uses nsIContentPolicy (e.g. IETab, Adblock, NoSCript) do you still see the error?

Phil
Morac

Post by Morac »

I do not see the problem with AdBlock. I do see the problem with IETab.
Also I don't any sidebars open when I see this error, does that make a difference?

I checked the CoolIris code and they do use multiple <browser> elements.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Morac wrote:I do not see the problem with AdBlock. I do see the problem with IETab.
Also I don't any sidebars open when I see this error, does that make a difference?

I checked the CoolIris code and they do use multiple <browser> elements.
It doesn't have to be a sidebar, just any extension with a <browser> element somewhere. I'm not sure why Console2 triggers the bug though, perhaps because it uses the permissions manager to store the domain block list.

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Morac wrote:I'm not sure why this happens but if Console2 0.3.9.2, GreaseMonkey 0.8.20080609.0 and Cooliris Previes 2.6.4 are all installed at the same time, the following error appears in the error console on any window open or close:
I just saw your duplicate post in greasmonkey-users but I think you should have posted in greasemonkey-dev since that's where all the GM developers hang out.

Phil
Morac

Post by Morac »

I went in and added the disablehistory="true" attributes to all the browser elements in CoolIris Preview and the errors went away. I sent the CoolIris people your response. I'm not sure what impact that will have on the functionality though.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Morac wrote:I went in and added the disablehistory="true" attributes to all the browser elements in CoolIris Preview and the errors went away. I sent the CoolIris people your response. I'm not sure what impact that will have on the functionality though.
I would think none since only the root docShell is supposed to have session history wired up. As you are the current owner of the Session Manager extension, I assume that you know more about this than I do.

Phil
bigsimpfan

Post by bigsimpfan »

Can you add the timestamp of when the error occurred to the console? And if you are grouping by errors there should be the timestamp of the last occurrence and then a plus sign next to it so that when you click on it you can see the timestamp of every occurrence. Great tool!
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

bigsimpfan wrote:Can you add the timestamp of when the error occurred to the console? And if you are grouping by errors there should be the timestamp of the last occurrence and then a plus sign next to it so that when you click on it you can see the timestamp of every occurrence. Great tool!
We can only report what the nsIConsole service makes available to us and the service currently doesn't give us any timestamps.

Phil
alta88

Post by alta88 »

sure but once you have a message can't you prepend a time, it's likely very good enough. or do i have the flow wrong?

one big problem i have found is that if there is a flood of, say, css errors, even if css is not shown to display, it will force potentially relevant errors out of the buffer/cache. anything you can do?
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

alta88 wrote:sure but once you have a message can't you prepend a time, it's likely very good enough. or do i have the flow wrong?

one big problem i have found is that if there is a flood of, say, css errors, even if css is not shown to display, it will force potentially relevant errors out of the buffer/cache. anything you can do?

You can sort the errors from most recent to oldest so that the most recent error is at the top of the error console display. (Options > "Last > First Sort Order")
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

alta88 wrote:sure but once you have a message can't you prepend a time, it's likely very good enough. or do i have the flow wrong?

Yes. The nsIConsole service is running even when the Error Console isn't. When you open the error console you get all the messages/warnings/errors that have accumulated in one shot. I could timestamp only those that I get since opening the error console but that's rather hacky and I would rather wait for the underlaying error system to be rewritten to report actual timestamps. There is a bug for this somewhere in bugzilla.

alta88 wrote:one big problem i have found is that if there is a flood of, say, css errors, even if css is not shown to display, it will force potentially relevant errors out of the buffer/cache. anything you can do?

If you turn the "Report CSS Errors" pref off (instead of filtering) CSS errors won't be offered by the backend so won't push real errors off the internal 500 item buffer.

I can't find the original extension now, but I've ported the JS Console output redirector extension to SeaMonkey. This will cc all messages to a text file in your profile. This modified version should still work in Firefox.

Phil
alta88

Post by alta88 »

Philip Chee wrote:If you turn the "Report CSS Errors" pref off (instead of filtering) CSS errors won't be offered by the backend so won't push real errors off the internal 500 item buffer.

I can't find the original extension now, but I've ported the JS Console output redirector extension to SeaMonkey. This will cc all messages to a text file in your profile. This modified version should still work in Firefox.

Phil

well, that's one i didn't know.. so - how about toggling the pref when the css button is toggled in the console² toolbar?

adding the redirect to logfile into console² would be very nice, if it could be turned on/off with a button.

oh, and why oh why is the control letter for CSS "Z"? "C" isn't even taken. makes the button almost twice as wide as it needs to be. some sort of homage to the prior owner?
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

alta88 wrote:well, that's one i didn't know.. so - how about toggling the pref when the css button is toggled in the console² toolbar?

Well the CSS button is a Filter so toggling it should display CSS errors including those generated when that button was toggled off.

alta88 wrote:adding the redirect to logfile into console² would be very nice, if it could be turned on/off with a button.

Yes now that that extension seems to be orphaned, I plan to fold that and Console Filter into Console². The original rational for leaving Console Filter separate was that it worked in Gecko 1.7 browsers while Console² only support 1.8.0 and up. But I think 1.7 has been obsolete long enough that this isn't a valid concern any more. Secondly a change in localization in 1.9.1 broke CF. CF doesn't have any locales itself but was piggybacking on a toolkit entity that had been available since Gecko 1.7. I could put CF up on Babelzilla but any significant number of localizations would really bloat up CF. Slipping it in Console² which is already on Babelzilla seems to be the best way forward.
alta88 wrote:oh, and why oh why is the control letter for CSS "Z"? "C" isn't even taken. makes the button almost twice as wide as it needs to be. some sort of homage to the prior owner?

In en-US and en-GB the label of the Clear button is Clear. What is it in your locale?

Phil
alta88

Post by alta88 »

Philip Chee wrote:
alta88 wrote:well, that's one i didn't know.. so - how about toggling the pref when the css button is toggled in the console² toolbar?

Well the CSS button is a Filter so toggling it should display CSS errors including those generated when that button was toggled off.

i dont' think that's how anyone uses console; you open it then repeat something and look for errors. there simply isn't a big enough buffer for it to be useful. plus, that's a lotta keystrokes to also turn off the pref - it would be more useful to solve the problem of css floods (even with the console button off) with one click. and if someone wants css off, then it's not a stretch that they understand the buffer wont' be there.

adding the redirect to logfile into console² would be very nice, if it could be turned on/off with a button.

Yes now that that extension seems to be orphaned, I plan to fold that and Console Filter into Console². The original rational for leaving Console Filter separate was that it worked in Gecko 1.7 browsers while Console² only support 1.8.0 and up. But I think 1.7 has been obsolete long enough that this isn't a valid concern any more. Secondly a change in localization in 1.9.1 broke CF. CF doesn't have any locales itself but was piggybacking on a toolkit entity that had been available since Gecko 1.7. I could put CF up on Babelzilla but any significant number of localizations would really bloat up CF. Slipping it in Console² which is already on Babelzilla seems to be the best way forward.

well finally! thanks.
oh, and why oh why is the control letter for CSS "Z"? "C" isn't even taken. makes the button almost twice as wide as it needs to be. some sort of homage to the prior owner?

In en-US and en-GB the label of the Clear button is Clear. What is it in your locale?

Phil

oh. i use icons wherever possible to save space. then make Clear = r and CSS = C, i mean there are combinations still left.. and give Copy a p.