[Ext] Console² 0.8 [2011-07-15]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Where can we find a copy of the 0.3.9.1 xpi? As of this writing, it still shows as 0.3.9 on AMO which does no go for those of us who install it globally instead of in individual profiles. Thanks.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
JOJ0

Post by JOJ0 »

Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

WildcatRay wrote:Where can we find a copy of the 0.3.9.1 xpi?
Link to homepage: Testing Version: Console² 0.3.9+
WildcatRay wrote:As of this writing, it still shows as 0.3.9 on AMO which does no go for those of us who install it globally instead of in individual profiles. Thanks.
As you can see the 0.3.9.x versions are testing versions. At the moment there aren't any substantiative changes from 0.3.9 unless your locale is set to Traditional Chinese. So unless you like living on the bleeding edge, there is no pressing need to update to 0.3.9.1

Phil (Ni Hao!)
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Thanks, Phil.

Here's the thing. It isn't that I "wanted" to update. I'm being prompted by Minefield, Bon Echo, Firefox 2 and T-bird 2 Branch to update to 0.3.9.1. Somehow it is in position to be found via the internal add-on update process. As I said, when I went to AMO, Console2 is still only 0.3.9. :-k

Wouldn't you have had to place in that position?
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

WildcatRay wrote:Somehow it is in position to be found via the internal add-on update process. As I said, when I went to AMO, Console2 is still only 0.3.9. :-k
If you obtained Console² from the Console² website then The updateURL would point to http://console2.mozdev.org/update.xml and of course I updated this when I uploaded 0.3.9+. I plan to update AMO only when I reach the next stable version (expected to be v0.4).

Phil
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Thanks. I knew there had to be a logical explanation. ;)
Ray

Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

I'm moving the current discussion in Console Filter 0.3 [Relaunch] since it's veered off into a Console² discussion.

mrtech wrote:also there is a long standing bug I think with Console² on Mac OS that fails to show the customize toolbar and you can't access any icons nor Console Filter. But I can confirm that without Console² Console Filter does work, just an fyi, thanks again.

Philip Chee wrote:
mrtech wrote:also there is a long standing bug I think with Console² on Mac OS that fails to show the customize toolbar and you can't access any icons nor Console Filter. But I can confirm that without Console² Console Filter does work, just an fyi, thanks again.
AFAIK on OSX, toolkit apps use a "sheet" (not a real OSX sheet, but emulated with a panel - or iframe depending on application version) and Console² doesn't know anything about customizeToolbarSheet.xul, nor how to invoke it. And since I don't have a Mac it is very unlikely that I will be able to fix it.

Phil

Philip Chee wrote:
alta88 wrote:great. but, again, wouldn't it be easier just to include it in console²?
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2229698#2229698
zeniko wrote:Not by me. In my taste, this extension is too much of a hack to enter into Console²'s code. Anyway, it currently still works fine for the nightlies - and will probably for quite a while (as long as you use MTLI to work around the maxVersion)...
Secondly Console Filter works in Gecko 1.7 applications where Console² doesn't.

Phil

alta88 wrote:yeah i know, thought i'd try with a new owner...

some suggestions:
1. the xul doesn't align (i keep all 3 boxes on one toolbar), due to #search-box <textbox> padding the other two don't have. all parent boxes and children boxes for all 3 should be the same height. that would make skinning easier - and i like to look at my errors in a nice frame..
2. it would be nice if the #search-box were also an autocomplete like eval.

thanks.

Philip Chee wrote:
alta88 wrote:1. the xul doesn't align (i keep all 3 boxes on one toolbar), due to #search-box <textbox> padding the other two don't have. all parent boxes and children boxes for all 3 should be the same height. that would make skinning easier - and i like to look at my errors in a nice frame..
I've squinted at the DOM Inspector from several different angles but I can't see any padding on the #search-box <textbox> so I'm mystified. But then CSS was never my strong suite.
alta88 wrote:2. it would be nice if the #search-box were also an autocomplete like eval.
I'll look into this in my copious free time. :doubt:

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

alta88 wrote:in the default theme in minefield, all 3 <toolbaritem> are 27px high, eval/filter <textbox>/<menulist> are 23px high with 0px top & bottom padding. search <textbox> is 22px high, with top/bottom padding of 2px/3px.

box model option in DOMi is your friend..

re autocomplete: i think just adding type=autocomplete gets you halfway there.

oh, all of a sudden in console² when clicking the error line, code source doesn't position at that line but at the top. looks like it started a few days ago in minefield (i usually have the latest); no console errors.
Aha. Sorry I was using SuiteRunner with the Modern theme active.

OK Try this testing version: console2-test.xpi (No McCoy, No updateRDF, etc)

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Philip Chee wrote:OK Try this testing version: console2-test.xpi (No McCoy, No updateRDF, etc)
I removed the <code>|align="center"|</code> attribute from [toolbaritem id="search-box"] which allows the search box to stretch vertically to the height of the toolbar. The other two textboxes don't have this attribute set so they default to stretch. However in the default position on the mode toolbar when the icon size is set to large, the search-box looks too tall as it stretches to fill the height.

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

alta88 wrote:oh, all of a sudden in console² when clicking the error line, code source doesn't position at that line but at the top. looks like it started a few days ago in minefield (i usually have the latest); no console errors.

It seems to fail somewhere in viewSource.js=>function goToLine(line)

Code: Select all

selCon.scrollSelectionIntoView(
    nsISelectionController.SELECTION_NORMAL,
    nsISelectionController.SELECTION_FOCUS_REGION,
    true);
This is probably Bug 418470 a.k.a. Go to line in View Source broken (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED at nsISelectionController.scrollSelectionIntoView).

Phil
alta88

Post by alta88 »

Philip Chee wrote:
Philip Chee wrote:OK Try this testing version: console2-test.xpi (No McCoy, No updateRDF, etc)
I removed the <code>|align="center"|</code> attribute from [toolbaritem id="search-box"] which allows the search box to stretch vertically to the height of the toolbar. The other two textboxes don't have this attribute set so they default to stretch. However in the default position on the mode toolbar when the icon size is set to large, the search-box looks too tall as it stretches to fill the height.

Phil

i think the solution should be to apply some .css to search-box (and probably the others, in case they are placed in the top toolbar or in toolbars with icons). like :not[(iconsize="small")] to make them size right for large icons..

or reorder it completely : ) i always have the buttons/options in the #ToolbarMode bar and the 3 textboxes in #TooblarExt and hide #ToolbarEval. it also doesn't really make sense to use console in sidebar unless one has MultiSidebar and can orient the sidebar horizontally..
alta88

Post by alta88 »

actually the thing to do is follow what Fx does, which handles this by not changing .css -moz-box-align=stretch to =center, but by adding align=center attribute to all <toolbaritem> elements. either way, what's important is consistency among all 3.
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

I really like the possibility to put console in the sidebar. Could it be possible (via an option or css or userchrome.js) to force it to be in sidebar ?
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

pirlouy wrote:I really like the possibility to put console in the sidebar. Could it be possible (via an option or css or userchrome.js) to force it to be in sidebar ?
What errors are you seeing when you do View -> Sidebar -> Error Console?

Phil
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

Oops. It looks like I wasn't clear enough. There are no errors. It works without problem when I use View -> Sidebar -> Error Console. But I'd like the toolbar button to open console in sidebar in fact. I know I could use All-in-one sidebar extension, but there are several errors which dissuade me to use it.