[Ext] Console² 0.8 [2011-07-15]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Justin Samuel

Re: [Ext] Console² 0.3.9 [2008-01-04]

Post by Justin Samuel »

Console² seems to work fine for me on Fennec (1.0a2) by extracting it manually. Any possibility of getting Fennec's targetApplication in the install.rdf so it can be installed normally? Thanks!

(There are a few aesthetic issues, but the core functionality seems to works.)

Note: the easy way to open the error console on Fennec is by starting it with ./fennec -jsconsole
Justin Samuel @jstnsml
RequestPolicy: be in control of cross-site requests. Increase the privacy of your browsing and secure yourself from CSRF and other attacks. @RequestPolicy
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Justin Samuel wrote:Console² seems to work fine for me on Fennec (1.0a2) by extracting it manually. Any possibility of getting Fennec's targetApplication in the install.rdf so it can be installed normally? Thanks!

(There are a few aesthetic issues, but the core functionality seems to works.)

I guess I'll need to download the Fennec Win32 build, but it won't be officially supported (at least until it runs on my Nokia N95 and probably not even then).

Justin Samuel wrote:Note: the easy way to open the error console on Fennec is by starting it with ./fennec -jsconsole

Hmm. I would have thought that ./fennec -console2 would work if it supports the usual Gecko/toolkit APIs.

Phil
Justin Samuel

Post by Justin Samuel »

Philip Chee wrote:
Justin Samuel wrote:Note: the easy way to open the error console on Fennec is by starting it with ./fennec -jsconsole

Hmm. I would have thought that ./fennec -console2 would work if it supports the usual Gecko/toolkit APIs.

Ah, you're right, that does indeed work. I learn something new every day.
Justin Samuel @jstnsml
RequestPolicy: be in control of cross-site requests. Increase the privacy of your browsing and secure yourself from CSRF and other attacks. @RequestPolicy
Morac

Post by Morac »

I found a Minefield crash that only occurs when Console2 is installed. I've tried versions 0.3.9.1, 0.3.10 and 0.3.11a with the same results.

Details:

I noticed that in the Minefield 20090311 nightly for Windows that with Console2 installed that installing Firebug and Chromebug would result in a crash at startup. I finally tracked the line down in Chromebug (a call to the jsdDebuggerService's appendFilter function) that caused the crash and reproduced it without Firebug or Chromebug installed.

Basically pasting the following line into the Error Console will crash Minefield if Console2 is installed, but won't if Console2 is not installed:

Code: Select all

var passDebuggerHalter = { globalObject: null, flags: Components.interfaces.jsdIFilter.FLAG_ENABLED | Components.interfaces.jsdIFilter.FLAG_PASS, urlPattern: "*/debuggerHalter.js", startLine: 0, endLine: 0 }; Components.classes["@mozilla.org/js/jsd/debugger-service;1"].getService(Components.interfaces["jsdIDebuggerService"]).appendFilter(passDebuggerHalter);

Since this doesn't happen in Firefox 3.1b2 and Firefox shouldn't be crashing I filed a Minefield bug, but I wanted to let you know in case you can provide some insight into this.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=482809
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Morac wrote:Basically pasting the following line into the Error Console will crash Minefield if Console2 is installed, but won't if Console2 is not installed:

Code: Select all

var passDebuggerHalter = { globalObject: null, flags: Components.interfaces.jsdIFilter.FLAG_ENABLED | Components.interfaces.jsdIFilter.FLAG_PASS, urlPattern: "*/debuggerHalter.js", startLine: 0, endLine: 0 }; Components.classes["@mozilla.org/js/jsd/debugger-service;1"].getService(Components.interfaces["jsdIDebuggerService"]).appendFilter(passDebuggerHalter);

Since this doesn't happen in Firefox 3.1b2 and Firefox shouldn't be crashing I filed a Minefield bug, but I wanted to let you know in case you can provide some insight into this.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=482809

Thank you, but Minefield crashes even with Console² disabled in the Addons Manager. And it crashes in -safe-mode as well.

Phil
Morac

Post by Morac »

Philip Chee wrote:Thank you, but Minefield crashes even with Console² disabled in the Addons Manager. And it crashes in -safe-mode as well.

Phil

For some reason even though I can get it to crash in -safe-mode, I cannot get it to crash when I run normally unless Console² is enabled. If I run normally and Console² is disabled it won't crash.

I have no idea why that is.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Morac wrote:
Philip Chee wrote:Thank you, but Minefield crashes even with Console² disabled in the Addons Manager. And it crashes in -safe-mode as well.

For some reason even though I can get it to crash in -safe-mode, I cannot get it to crash when I run normally unless Console² is enabled. If I run normally and Console² is disabled it won't crash.

Just to clarify if you C&P into the native Error Console, Minefield doesn't crash. But I used the ExecuteJS extension to execute the code in the context of the browser.xul chrome (I think the Extension Developers Extension can do the same) and Minefield crashed.

Phil
subexpression

Post by subexpression »

For the record - Console^2 is awesome.

However, I found a strange behavior.
When the "Always On Top" option is selected and when the Console^2 dialog is minimized, FF3 dialog windows pop "under" and FF3 loses focus.

For instance, if I open "Organize Bookmarks", "Downloads", "Addons", etc., those small dialog windows are hidden behind the main FF3 window, and FF3 loses focus. Yet, I can't click anywhere to close the open dialog window, since it popped "under" the main window. Pressing the "Enter" key is the only way out of this snag.

I found 2 remedies:
  • Unselect the "Always On Top" option
  • Don't minimize Console^2 when "Always On Top" option is selected

I guess it's a minor bug.
Nothing I can't live with.

- subexpression
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

subexpression wrote:When the "Always On Top" option is selected and when the Console^2 dialog is minimized, FF3 dialog windows pop "under" and FF3 loses focus.

For instance, if I open "Organize Bookmarks", "Downloads", "Addons", etc., those small dialog windows are hidden behind the main FF3 window, and FF3 loses focus. Yet, I can't click anywhere to close the open dialog window, since it popped "under" the main window. Pressing the "Enter" key is the only way out of this snag.

Unfortunately this is a limitation of how the mozilla gecko engine implements the "always raised" setting. You might say it's a bug. :?

Phil
GµårÐïåñ

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Not sure if this is the best place to report this but this was where the extension sends to report issues. The update available today (4/30) for version 0.3.9.2 to 0.3.10 comes back with an error in case anyone wants to followup and see why.

Firefox could not install the file at

http://downloads.mozdev.org/console2/co ... 0.3.10.xpi

because: Download error
Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:Not sure if this is the best place to report this but this was where the extension sends to report issues. The update available today (4/30) for version 0.3.9.2 to 0.3.10 comes back with an error in case anyone wants to followup and see why.

Firefox could not install the file at

http://downloads.mozdev.org/console2/co ... 0.3.10.xpi

because: Download error

This happens occasionally due to a bad mirror. Try this link explictly http://downloads.mozdev.org/console2/console2-0.3.10.xpi. Everytime you hit this link you should be sent to a different mirror.

If you are on the latest Firefox 3.5b4 or SeaMonkey 2.0b1 or Thunderbird 3.0b4 then try our latest developmental version at http://downloads.mozdev.org/console2/console2-0.3dev.xpi.

Phil
GµårÐïåñ

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Thank you. That worked. Can the link on Mozilla be updated, it still shows 0.3.9.1 and the website shows 0.3.9.2, there is a lot of discontinuity. Thanks again.
makondo

Post by makondo »

I really think you should change your review on AMO. Please, read Philip's post above again:
Philip Chee wrote:This happens occasionally due to a bad mirror. Try this link explictly http://downloads.mozdev.org/console2/console2-0.3.10.xpi. Everytime you hit this link you should be sent to a different mirror.

If you are on the latest Firefox 3.5b4 or SeaMonkey 2.0b1 or Thunderbird 3.0b4 then try our latest developmental version at http://downloads.mozdev.org/console2/console2-0.3dev.xpi.

Phil

0.3.9.2 is a development version, not yet released. And the error is explained in that post as well. Your review there is really misleading, to say the least, and is not helpful to others there. Especially since Philip is here and answering all questions, including yours. Please, try to be fair. Giving 2 stars and a review like yours is not a good way to thank somebody who's trying to help you with your problems.
BTW, my Fx is not 'pushing' 0.3.10 and i was able to install it from Mozdev w/out any problems.

GµårÐïåñ wrote:Consistency Problems

This is a great addon and very useful but there is a lot of continuity and version maintenance issues. We have 0.3.9.1 being pushed here, 0.3.9.2 being pushed on the website and mozilla update is pushing 0.3.10 and gives a download error -228. There is no response on the forum or the website and the developers need to get on the ball if they want the credibility of this extension to be preserved.

by GµårÐïåñ on April 30, 2009
Last edited by makondo on May 1st, 2009, 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
GµårÐïåñ

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Well the fact is that the 0.3.9.2 cannot be a dev build when 0.3.10 is being released now. So I don't know where you are getting this and the fact is that the versions are different on AMO, the dev site and what got pushed out for the update. I don't care if there is a mirror issue, the dev site should at least have the correct version direct linked and it doesn't, it has 0.3.9.2. This is what I said on the review and it was BEFORE any response came on my question here and it is accurate, however, unflattering it might be.

If your Fx is not pushing 0.3.10 then that's your issue not mine and the fact is that it did push it, there is a direct link to it provided below, so I don't get what you are even trying to say as you make no sense at all. Maybe you should try and get the facts straight before weighing on how other people should act and what they should say. I said nothing bad about the addon and simply pointed out there is version differences, simple as that. In addition, if I feel the addon is only worth 2 stars, then I will give it that whether you think its worth or not.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

I guess I forgot to upload 0.3.10 to AMO. I'll do this "Real Soon Now".

Phil