[ext] Fast Dial 2.1 for Firefox

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
telega

Re: [ext] Fast Dial 1.88 for Firefox

Post by telega »

bobyang, probably there's a conflict with some other extension, try installing Fast Dial on a clean profile (run "firefox.exe -p").

gunnyj6, it is compatible with SeaMonkey 2.0 and above.
pigsonthewing

Post by pigsonthewing »

FastDial overwrites tabs created by WebDeveloper (http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/), such as the latter's Information > View Document Size.

I think the fault lies with FastDial, rather than WebDeveloper.

See discussion on the Web Developer forum: http://chrispederick.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=7153
telega

Post by telega »

pigsonthewing, I'm aware of this bug. Hope new version will have this fixed.
gunnyj6

Post by gunnyj6 »

telega wrote:bobyang, probably there's a conflict with some other extension, try installing Fast Dial on a clean profile (run "firefox.exe -p").

gunnyj6, it is compatible with SeaMonkey 2.0 and above.

Ah, I see. Thanks.
Long live the Suite!
Dekudude

Post by Dekudude »

Hey, this is a pretty awesome extension! I really like it. :) However, I am having trouble setting it as my home page. If my home page is about:blank, it just takes me to a blank page when I click the "Home" button. It loads fine on browser startup, though, and the FastDial button works, but in my opinion, the home icon is much nicer. :lol:

Also, would it be possible to prevent the error message that pops up if a server can not be found? I find it very annoying, and obtrusive. Perhaps, instead of a Javascript-style alert, you could just put a warning message on the thumbnail? That would probably be a bit cleaner. Thanks!
nirvdrum

Post by nirvdrum »

Hi,

Is there any straightforward way to sync the FastDial settings with OperaLink? It'd be nice to seemlessly switch between the two. If not, I'll take a look at enhancing the extension if I get a chance.

Thanks,
Kevin
telega

Post by telega »

I don't know what OperaLink is. Current version of Fast Dial uses .sqlite database to store bookmarks, but in new version of FD this will be changed.
nirvdrum

Post by nirvdrum »

OperaLink is something Opera added in 9.5 for syncing bookmarks and SpeedDial settings back to an Opera server. So, your settings can be transported wherever you go.
telega

Post by telega »

Attention!
People, experiencing Fast Dial slowness on Firefox 3, try to add exception rule to AdBlock Plus for page "about:blank". Thanks for this solution goes to mafi0z from userlogos.org.

nirvdrum
I plan to store Fast Dial bookmarks in Firefox bookmarks, so that I hope it would be possible to synchronize Fast Dial using bookmark synchronizing extensions.
smacznykonsek

Post by smacznykonsek »

Great extension!
I agree with many people above - the extension is wonderful, useful, neat and efficient
however :D i have some suggestions
1) As someone already mentioned, it would be nice to be able to open multiple pages from one click on a single cell (with group cells maybe additional button beside clear/refresh/properties buttons on top right of each cell, maybe something like in new IE in favorites you have that lil blue arrow to open all in tab group)
2) Customizable cell size? at the moment there is a choice of few sizes with fixed ratio of 4:3, it would be nice to be able to create long and narrow cells for example if one uses logos instead of web shots.
3) How about 'open in' option for each individual cell / group?
4) I dont know, maybe there is a way already but it would be nice to start FD from a button on a navigation toolbar in FF for example and not only be able to have FD overriding about:blank for new windonw/tab.
telega

Post by telega »

smacznykonsek, thank you.
1) Not sure about this, I guess one more popup button would be superfluous. Maybe context menu item "Open all in tabs"?
2) Hm, sounds strange to me. Do you have many logos that are long and narrow? You can find 4:3 logos at http://userlogos.org
3) This will be implemented in new version.
4) Yes, FD has a toolbar button. Right-click on a toolbar, choose "Customize...", then drag-n-drop the button to the toolbar.
Anthony A

Post by Anthony A »

I am using the newest version of Fast Dial available from the addon site. I have been using it for a while now and like it. One problem I am having is setting a back ground for the Speed Dial page. There is an option in the preferences to set a back ground. A dialog box pops up to navigate to the back ground file you want to use. When I select the file I want it simply does not work. The input area does not even accept the file and remains blank. This is happening on 3 machines. Two with FF 2 and one with FF3. I also have a machine with FF 2 and selecting a back ground works on that one. What is the problem?
Anthony A

Post by Anthony A »

Anthony A wrote:I am using the newest version of Fast Dial available from the addon site. I have been using it for a while now and like it. One problem I am having is setting a back ground for the Speed Dial page. There is an option in the preferences to set a back ground. A dialog box pops up to navigate to the back ground file you want to use. When I select the file I want it simply does not work. The input area does not even accept the file and remains blank. This is happening on 3 machines. Two with FF 2 and one with FF3. I also have a machine with FF 2 and selecting a back ground works on that one. What is the problem?

Well? Any suggestions to fix this issue?
telega

Post by telega »

Anthony A,
First look into Error Console if there're any errors. (See FAQ, the last question.)
On older FD versions there was a bug when old background files sometimes were not deleted. In that case Error Console should display "File already exists" error when you attempt to assign a background image.
If that's the case, look into [firefox_profile]/fastdial/ folder and delete the old copy of background image. After this it should be fixed.
Anthony A

Post by Anthony A »

telega wrote:Anthony A,
First look into Error Console if there're any errors. (See FAQ, the last question.)
On older FD versions there was a bug when old background files sometimes were not deleted. In that case Error Console should display "File already exists" error when you attempt to assign a background image.
If that's the case, look into [firefox_profile]/fastdial/ folder and delete the old copy of background image. After this it should be fixed.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Fast Dial but that did not work. I uninstalled it again and this time went into the FF profile folder and there was a Fast Dial folder so I deleted that and reinstalled and now it works.