[ext] Fast Dial 2.1 for Firefox

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
telega

Re: [ext] Fast Dial 1.88 for Firefox

Post by telega »

jwa, if you want to add existing bookmark to FD page, open either Bookmark Manager (menu Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks) or Bookmark Sidebar (Ctrl+B), find your bookmark and copy/paste it to "Fast Dial" folder (it's a subfolder of "Bookmarks Menu" folder).
pjacobs

Fast Dial 2.0 for Firefox

Post by pjacobs »

I installed Fast Dial 2.0 yesterday and noticed a couple of problems.

1. Firefox no longer opens to a URL when loaded outside firefox
- With Firefox closed. Use windows Run and a URL. I.E. - RUN | http://google.com
---- It will not load google.com - it just opens fast dial and nothing happens.

2. Firefox would not open to a home page other than Fast Dial
- Set the default home page in firefox to http://google.com and it loads fast dial and nothing else.

3. Clicking Home Button does not take me to Fast Dial - it loads an empty/blank page.
- I had about:blank as my home page and it did this.
- It worked when I changed to default home page to chrome://fastdial/content/fastdial.html

Fast Dial is awesome by the way. I love it. Please fix these small problems so I can continue loving it. I have a script that runs as a scheduled task and it doesn't work now because firefox loads to fast dial instead of the url that gets passed to it. Thanks.
telega

Post by telega »

pjacobs,

Thank you. My answers:
1) & 2) work fine on my computer. Could you try to modify tabloader.js file - replace line 9:

Code: Select all

loadInExistingTabs();
with

setTimeout(loadInExistingTabs, 100);
, or if that doesn't work, replace 100 with a bigger value, like 300, 500. Then tell me the value that works and I'll update the extension.

3) OK, will fix that.
pjacobs

Post by pjacobs »

setTimeout(loadInExistingTabs, 1000);

This value and above worked for me. Nothing below 1 second worked though. Thanks again for the cool addin.

telega wrote:pjacobs,

Thank you. My answers:
1) & 2) work fine on my computer. Could you try to modify tabloader.js file - replace line 9:

loadInExistingTabs();
with

setTimeout(loadInExistingTabs, 100);
, or if that doesn't work, replace 100 with a bigger value, like 300, 500. Then tell me the value that works and I'll update the extension.

3) OK, will fix that.
telega

Post by telega »

pjacobs, is your computer quite slow?
1000ms timeout is too long for fast computers. It results in Firefox loaded, then 1 second passes and only then FD page appears.
pogosplace

Post by pogosplace »

Is there a significant difference in resources used between using a thumbnail for each link or a customized image?

Doesn't seem to be but I'm curious.

What about a background for the FastDial page? Does that have any resource impact?

Thanks for a great asset to my workday.

Pogo
telega

Post by telega »

pogosplace,
Currently there's no difference between using site thumbnails and custom images, because all custom images upon assignment are scaled to the size, specified in preferences (the same way as thumbnails).

I guess background for FD page has little impact on performance, unless you have several Mb image. Though I haven't tested.
jonh_tomas

Post by jonh_tomas »

2.1 is amazing!!!

An wonderful job!!!

however i would suggest a few things -it would be great if when we Alt+click on a group it would open the entire group!!!

and another idea... how about if we could open more than one group at once??? it would require an extra toolbar, perhaps like the TabGroups extension, but would be cool to be able to switch between groups...

Also, if we use Fast Dial with Mozilla's Weave will we have all the groups sync across computers???

this would, for sure, make it even more complex for new users... but and handy tool for the so called "power users"...

Hope to ear from you soon
telega

Post by telega »

jonh_tomas,

Thank you.
Alt+click opens group - good idea! will implement this.
Opening several folders(groups) at once - what do you mean? In FD 2.x each folder has its own URL so it's possible to have different folders opened in different tabs simultaneously. And also it's possible to create bookmarks for folders.
Also I'm thinking to implement a feature: selecting a folder in Bookmarks sidebar (Ctrl+B) opens FD page for this folder. Would you find this useful?

Weave - I haven't tried to synchronize bookmarks using Weave, I have only tried to export/import bookmarks using Bookmark Manager - and it worked. If you try Weave please write about the results, or I'll check out Weave myself, maybe tomorrow.
jonh_tomas

Post by jonh_tomas »

Well, when i talked about weave i didn't mean to sync bookmarks... but to sync the extension data!!! Weave is planing to implement this, AFAIK, and it would be wonderful to have my FD data (links and Folders) on every browser i go to... all sync... unfortunately i was out a few days and when the last version of weave was released i didn't create an account... and at the moment they are not accepting more users :'(

and what i meant was several Groups/folders was to, for example, i choose to open group A - i start browsing it and then my wife cames in and wants to give a quick look to group B - and I open Group B. At this moment group A and B will be placed one after the other. What i mean was to (the users that want this) an extra toolbar be created where it would be displayed 2 tabs - One with group A and another with Group B. When we have group A selected only the tabs from group A would be seen.

There is already something like this but the approach is different from yours

TabGroups:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7966

TabKit:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5447

Linkwad:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3263

anyway - this is just an idea ;)

hope you like it :)
telega

Post by telega »

jonh_tomas.
All FD 2.0 extension data (except for images) is stored in bookmarks, so synchronizing bookmarks should result in FD synchronization, just images will get generated when you first open FD page.

Groups - sorry, don't understand - why don't use TabGroups for this purpose?
jonh_tomas

Post by jonh_tomas »

well, tab groups seems abandoned... and i would really need the groups to be sync... so this excludes Tabkit (which is quite cool)... and lets me with Linkwad - that is also a bit "Features missing"...

Since FD already has sync... i though about suggesting you about this feature... anyway it was just an idea, thanks for your time, anyway :)

oh... and i'll be waiting for the ALT-Click then... it would be very useful :D

best wishes
telega

Post by telega »

I don't understand what "i would really need the groups to be sync" and "FD already has sync" means.
jonh_tomas

Post by jonh_tomas »

LOL... sorry... this means my english is not that good!!! HAHA...

I don't know which part you didn't understand but sync = synchronize

and TabGroups/TabKit don't allow synchronization between computers and since FastDial already makes the synchronization

(All FD 2.0 extension data (except for images) is stored in bookmarks, so synchronizing bookmarks should result in FD synchronization),

for me only a toolbar would be needed where the name of the groups were browsing would be showed.

This way my browser would not be totally full of open tabs because they would be splint into groups. Each of this groups would only show the tabs that belong to each one - and i would not need to scroll the tabbar left and right as well as it would be a lot more organized...

hope you understand me now... :D
telega

Post by telega »

So you want to synchronize groups of tabs? I guess you don't need this because you can always Alt+click (once this is implemented) on a folder in FD to open all its child sites. Or I'm still missing something.