[ext] Fast Dial 2.1 for Firefox

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
orev

Re: [ext] Fast Dial 1.88 for Firefox

Post by orev »

It would be very useful if the number of the hotkey were displayed somewhere in the thumbnail/tile so it's easier to know what number will open which web site.

Thanks!
zero1

Post by zero1 »

this problem occurs! render method = default
does anybody know how to fix it?

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1003/arghbx1.jpg
telega

Post by telega »

zero1, possible conflict with some other extension. Try installing Fast Dial on a clean profile (run "firefox.exe -p").
Fredd-E

Post by Fredd-E »

I'm having a small issue with fast dial and I don't really know why.

I've got 16 thumbnails in use and I've set them to fixed width 200x150 and scale method default on the latest Firefox 3 release. Quantity 4x4 and max load time 5 seconds. Refresh 0 minutes. Empy cells disabled. Popup buttons disabled. Tab icon & title activated. Thumbnails in new tabs activated.

what happens is that lot of the times I open a new tab the thumbnails get generated one at a time; they don't pop up all at the very same time; like if he needs to generate each thumbnail again, one at a time. This takes 2-3 seconds. But if I right after that open yet another new tab all the images pop up instantly like if all the images were cached?

If I look in my profile folder I can see 32 png files, some of them have _big added to the file name. They all add up to 680KB. Could this be the cause? Like if the program has trouble to generate all those png's at the same time? Or is it a caching problem or just a flaw in fast dial? Is there anything to have these images loaded instantly all the time and why do I have _big.png and normal numbers.png? Can I delete one of those as I'm using fixed width right now for my thumbnails?

My addon list:
Application: Firefox 3.0 (2008052906)
Operating System: WINNT (x86-msvc)

- Adblock Plus 0.7.5.5
- Auto Context 1.3.9
- Autofill Forms 0.9.4.2
- CustomizeGoogle 0.72
- Download Statusbar 0.9.6.3
- DownloadHelper 3.0.4
- Extension List Dumper 1.14.1
- Fast Dial 1.90
- FaviconizeTab 0.9.8.2
- FireGestures 1.1.2
- FlashGot 1.0.4
- Google Gears 0.3.24.0
- Google Notebook 1.0.0.20
- GooglePreview 3.11
- Greasemonkey 0.8.20080609.0
- IE Tab 1.5.20080310
- Linkification 1.3.3
- PicLens 1.7.0.3458
- Secure Login 0.9.2.3
- StumbleUpon 3.23
- Tab Mix Plus 0.3.6.1.080416
- Web Developer 1.1.6
telega

Post by telega »

Fredd-E, images with _big suffix are loaded only when you left-click and hold mouse button. In that case big image is displayed in the middle of the screen. BTW, all images are generated only when you choose to "Refresh" a thumbnail.
I can't say for sure what is the cause of the problem. Do images load slowly when you first start Firefox? Did you notice, maybe images expire from cache after some fixed period of time?
Fredd-E

Post by Fredd-E »

I've got it fixed now by manipulating the png files in the fast dial profile folder. I've recreated all my logos to 200x150 pixels in photoshop. And my settings in your extension is also 200x150 pixels so Firefox doesn't need to resize them anymore.

Now when I open a new tab all the thumbnails pop up instantly. It's ultra fast now without any delay in generating the thumbs on the screen. So I think it has to have something to do with Firefox's resizing performance... weird, but for now I'm settled via this workaround. Weird...
telega wrote:Fredd-E, images with _big suffix are loaded only when you left-click and hold mouse button. In that case big image is displayed in the middle of the screen. BTW, all images are generated only when you choose to "Refresh" a thumbnail.
I can't say for sure what is the cause of the problem. Do images load slowly when you first start Firefox? Did you notice, maybe images expire from cache after some fixed period of time?
telega

Post by telega »

Fredd-E, cool, glad you found a workaround.
Some people had reported the same problem earlier. Could you check whether images generated by Fast Dial are actually 200x150 pixels?
Fredd-E

Post by Fredd-E »

Just before I still experienced the problem again and so I made yet another small change.

What I did before was that I had custom images linked to website urls. Doing that created a png file in the profile folder. It's those png's I edited at first to 200x150.

Right now I've edited the 16 thumbs and created links to the thumbs on my harddrive, so no more website links to images anymore (which I edited anyways).

So right now I've got 32 png files. 16 normal ones and 16 with _big added. All of the files in my case are in fact 200x150. The big files as well.

So let's see if I experience a small delay now in the future...

telega wrote:Fredd-E, cool, glad you found a workaround.
Some people had reported the same problem earlier. Could you check whether images generated by Fast Dial are actually 200x150 pixels?
Fredd-E

Post by Fredd-E »

Fredd-E wrote:So let's see if I experience a small delay now in the future...

And it happened again... it's very unpredictable. I think has got something to do with Firefox itself, but I dunno what... we'll just have to live with it I guess. Have you experienced this yourself on your setup?
telega

Post by telega »

Fredd-E wrote:And it happened again... it's very unpredictable. I think has got something to do with Firefox itself, but I dunno what... we'll just have to live with it I guess. Have you experienced this yourself on your setup?

No, I haven't. Though I haven't used Fast Dial lately.
gotorx7

Post by gotorx7 »

is anybody else having issues since the Vista SP1 upgrade?

FastDial just sits loading thumbnails, never gets anywhere..

Cheers,
Dave

Edit - changing the thumbnail method back from jave to default appears to have fixed it......
Trozza

Post by Trozza »

Hay, I have been trying to edit the template.htm file under profiles to include a google search box on the fast dial page but I've been having problems.

When the page loads up, the submit button will work, but the input text box doesn't. The text box can't take focus, when I click on it nothing happens, and when I type some text, the text just starts showing up in the address bar instead.

Is there anyway to get a input text box to work on the fast dial page?

Incase there is any confusion, when I get home I'll take a screen shot of what I'm trying to accomplish.

*update uploaded image to help demonstrate what I'm trying to do, the white area next to the green search button is the text area, when you click on it, it won't work.. I've tested this little bit of code on a blank html file and it works fine, just doesn't work when I place it into the template.htm.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
telega

Post by telega »

Trozza,
Check console, are there any errors? (See Fast Dial FAQ, the last question).
Also you can send me the template file to telega gmail com, I'll check.
Trozza

Post by Trozza »

Telega,
Thanks for the reply, I had a look at the error console, and there were three errors, but none of them seemed to relate to the problem, two were issues with the height and width of an object, and the other was an error for a background repeat. By the way I'm using firefox 3 if that helps at all. Also sent the template to your e-mail address.

Thanks again
Troy
telega

Post by telega »

Troy, please check mail, sent you a reply.
Looks like having an input box isn't possible currently, hope this will be solved in FD2.