[ext] Fast Dial 2.1 for Firefox

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
rc-flitzer

Keyboard Focus

Post by rc-flitzer »

Hello!
I used Opera for some months (before FF3.0 was published) and liked the quick dial. It ist great that there is such a similar (and better) extension like Fast Dial for Firefox. But I miss a thing: is it possible to set the keyboard focus to the adress bar when opening a new Fast Dial page?
It's happening quite often that I don't want to use the fast dial buttons but instead type in a URL in a new tab or window. So I press Ctrl-T and expect the cursor to be in the adress bar. But there it isn't. The cursor is displayed in adress bar (and blinking) but has not the focus. I need to press either twice Ctrl-Shift-Tab or F6 than Tab for getting the focus there ... or move the mouse and click into it, but that's not very fast, as the extension's name promises. :roll: If I rememember correctly this problem wasn't there in Opera (because it's keyboard user friendly).

Would be nice if the author could handle this little problem or at least tell me why it's not working. :) Thanks!

My configuration: FF 3.0.1, Tabmixplus 0.3.6.
telega

Re: [ext] Fast Dial 1.88 for Firefox

Post by telega »

rc-flitzer,
Most probably this is caused by a conflict with another extension, probably TabMixPlus. Try to install Fast Dial on a clean profile (run "firefox.exe -p").
John 3:16

Post by John 3:16 »

Can someone explain how to set this to open in a new tab instead of current tab?

I have tab mix plus installed too.
telega

Post by telega »

John 3:16,
Do you mean you want FD page to open in new tab when you click on FD toolbar button? If yes, then use Ctrl+click or middle-click.
John 3:16

Post by John 3:16 »

That does not work, either method unfortunately. I have the fast dial button in my toolbar. If I click, middle click or ctrl+click, it opens in the current tab
telega

Post by telega »

I checked version 1.90 and confirm the bug. You can try version 2.0 from http://telega.phpnet.us/fastdial/, where ctrl+click works for sure.
rc-flitzer

Post by rc-flitzer »

@telega: It worked in a fresh profile, with TabMixPlus. And at the moment it's working in my default profile with TMP ... strange. I can't reproduce the bug, maybe it's gone. :)
jwa

Post by jwa »

I tried to install version 2.0 and it doesn't seem to be completely installed because after restarting firefox I have nothing in the rt context menu and the options button is not active. Version 1.9. will install alright but I was hoping to go with 2.0. Any Idea what the problem could be?
telega

Post by telega »

jwa, in 2.0
1. Context menu item is no more needed, because you can add sites to Fast Dial by double-clickin "star" icon in the address bar and choosing Fast Dial folder (or a subfolder).
2. Options are not global, but per-folder, so you have to right-click FD page and choose Preferences to open them.
nicenac

Post by nicenac »

Hi, I'm using FD 2.0/ firefox 3 (on ubuntu) and it just doesn't show the "Add to Fast Dial" option on the Context Menu. Can it be some kind of incopatibility with other Add-ons?
Here's a list of what I got:
Chatzilla, Fast Dial, Firegestures, Foxmarks, Greasemonkey, hyperwords, tabs open relative, ubuntu firefox modifications, american and portuguese dictionaries.
Default Theme.

Hope you can help me... the improvement on 2.0 are so awesome I can't wait to start using it! Thanks so much for all your effort. (If you need any help with english-portuguese translations, let me know.)
telega

Post by telega »

nicenac,
Please see my answer right above your post. Context menu is not present in 2.0 because Fast Dial bookmarks are stored as browser bookmarks in a Fast Dial subfolder. So to add a page to Fast Dial you should double-click "star" icon in browser address bar and choose "Fast Dial" folder (or a subfolder) as destination.
pogosplace

Post by pogosplace »

I've installed 2.0 and feel it will be a great addition to my workday.

Two questions.

I may not be understanding background tabs as this extension uses them but having selected open in background tab in properties clicking on that item opens a new tab but immediately moves to that tab. Center clicking will truly open in background.

Am I missing something or is this just the way it works?

Is it possible to open a new tab without getting Fast Dial? Sometimes, you just want a new tab.

Thanks,

Pogo
telega

Post by telega »

pogosplace,
Open in background tab - works for me. Maybe there's a conflict with some other extension or preference setting. Try to install Fast Dial on a clean profile (run "firefox.exe -p") to make sure.

In Fast Dial preferences there's a checkbox "Show Fast Dial page in new tabs".
pogosplace

Post by pogosplace »

telega wrote:pogosplace,
Open in background tab - works for me. Maybe there's a conflict with some other extension or preference setting. Try to install Fast Dial on a clean profile (run "firefox.exe -p") to make sure.

In Fast Dial preferences there's a checkbox "Show Fast Dial page in new tabs".
Thanks,

Answer #2 was an immediate success.

The thought of a new profile - when this one has been tweaked so perfectly - is not a task I immediately want to take on. Do you think that disabling extensions and adding back one by one may give me a clue?

One thought is that I'd previously tweaked so that every action opens open request in a new tab in the background - cannot find the original article now of course so that may be the source of the conflict. Not a feature I'd want to give up.

Nevertheless, using Fast Dial as my home page with a choice of my most favorite favorites is a good thing.

Thanks

Pogo (Helen)
jwa

Post by jwa »

I still can't get a site added to the fast dial page. I have several sites already bookmarked. How would I be able to add these to the fast dial page. I'm sure the problem is with me, but could you be more specific? Will version 1.9 update to this in the future?