[ext] Yet Another Smooth Scrolling

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

Indeed I have the same behavior. I only have tested on phpBB forums and it has been working.
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

Little bug (maybe it's intentional): it seems smooth scrolling doesn't work on image.
Example: http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs21/i/2007/ ... nsenyg.jpg
kataho

Post by kataho »

<b>Cato62</b>
Thank you! I will nominate this as soon as we have enough evidences shows the extension politely acts on everyone's environment.

<b>pirlouy</b>
But isn't you who can change this frame rate ? my drivers/monitor allow me to have a frequency of 75Hz. So if there could be a better frame rate; it depends on this extension (or Firefox) I suppose.

The current implementation is the best the extensions build with javascript can do. The more frequently and time accurate operation is not provided by our scripting environment.

Nice. I use 850 (and I could use 1000 Razz).

Here, Try up to 899 smoothness in the sample page and let me know your impression. smoothness (s) is used to caluculate dumping ratio with (900-(s))/1000, so 899 is the farthest we can go.

it seems smooth scrolling doesn't work on image.

It will be fixed on next version. It is hidden behavior by design actually, but it is only for me. It must be fixed.

<b>Friar Tuck</b>
Very halpful report. The dropdown list problem will be fixed on next version. It will be made to work as default if mouse cursor is on a dropdown list. Thank you.
Last edited by kataho on October 22nd, 2007, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

kataho wrote:Here, Try up to 899 smoothness in the sample page and let me know your expression. smoothness (s) is used to caluculate dumping ratio with (900-(s))/1000, so 899 is the farthest we can go.

If I use more than 850, scrolling time is too long. So I stay with 850. In fact, what I find (a little) "jagged", it's when scrolling is in "acceleration" mode, so it's a very very little problem. Choose what you consider the best algorithm, I'll use it without problem !
Soul Stealer

Post by Soul Stealer »

kataho wrote:<b>Friar Tuck</b>
Very halpful report. The dropdown list problem will be fixed on next version. It will be made to work as default if mouse cursor is on a dropdown list. Thank you.

You're welcome and looking forward to the next update of this great extension. :D
It's like I said.
Soul Stealer

Post by Soul Stealer »

You fixed it! Thank you thank you thank you! :D
It's like I said.
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

I've tried to understand what I find better in smooth wheel, and I think I've found.

In fact, I thought I wanted more smoothness, but in fact, I don't want it, I'd like a smoothness acceleration (but not in acceleration mode, I talk about only one wheel move). Start is too quick in my opinion.

In acceleration mode (several wheel moves), just the opposite, I find the finish too long; I'd prefer a quicker stop.

I hope you understand, else I could show you my settings for Smooth Wheel so that you could test what I try to explain...
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

In fact, at the end of scrolling, there are very little little moves which extend delay before to read text again and wear eyes. These little moves would be very convenient at the beginning of the scroll.
kataho

Post by kataho »

<b>@pirlouy</b>
http://www.aa.alpha-net.ne.jp/kataho/xp ... mple2.html
This page has experimental implementation of appling smoothness onto the start of the movement. Be sure to disable YASS before enterring this page.
If you want slower start and quicker stop, try lower smoothness at the end and higher smoothness at the start in opposite. Let me know what set of parameters you prefer.
Recall

Post by Recall »

Any more updates for this? I personally would love if you could find a way to implement it in FF3. I feel the way to do this would to have 3 profiles. In fact, is it possible to implement a profile system, as well as an icon at the bottom of the browser for disabling? I ask for a disable button as some sites don't work well with it.

Fast
Medium
Slow
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
kataho

Post by kataho »

I just have released new version, the main feature of this update is moothness of the beginning of the scrolling. Beleave this makes wheel behavior litte more confortable.

<b>@Recall</b>
I personally would love if you could find a way to implement it in FF3.

We should wait FF3 to be released as official fixed stable one. We shoould not spend time for testing compatibility with daily updated unstable environment.

In fact, is it possible to implement a profile system, as well as an icon at the bottom of the browser for disabling? I ask for a disable button as some sites don't work well with it.

Let me know what view or situation makes you feel needs of different settings or disable of the extension. The function we should really have may be a list of URI's automatically choosing a linked set of property values. Or another similar function. I myself rarely have have feelings I could use different settings.(needing of less smoothness on a heavy page with a lot of large images) But it is just a feeling and I end making no change to the extension properties.
Pendragon60

Post by Pendragon60 »

...should wait FF3 to be released as official fixed stable one.

I agree...although this wonderful extension does (mostly) work for me on FF3. The only problem I have is that the mouse back button doesn't go back in history...just makes the page twitch...but then, SmoothWheel does the same thing after working fine with all previous versions. When disabled, the mouse actions are normal.
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

Now the beta is out, maybe we can hope an update ?
kataho

Post by kataho »

We can't. The release is beta, is for testers and seems have a bug on wheel event on pulldown menu.

I have spent some meaningless hours to find that newly created bug and I decide I will leave until this released as a version description only with numerical letters.
kataho

Post by kataho »

Hi all.
I'm releasing version 2.0.

Main feature is addition of three preset bank. Thanks to Recall, it's based on his idea. You can quickly change these three with both status bar icon popup and context menu.

and some changes added all based on reviews on AMO and posts above, including Fx3beta support. Thank you for your patience :)