[ext] Yet Another Smooth Scrolling

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mikedl

Re: [ext] Yet Another Smooth Scrolling

Post by mikedl »

Protocol wrote:No.
I am on 15.0 Beta 1 (20120717110313) ...

I meant which version of YASS, not which version of Fx.

The latest YASS is, as I mentioned, Version 3.0.21 Released July 3, 2012. The intermittent issue you are experiencing, and I used to experience, went away (for me) when I updated YASS. :)
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

I am using v3.0.2.1.
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

YASS was just updated to 3.0.22 ... give that a try ... hope it helps! Image
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

And ... just updated to 3.0.23 ... nice! Image
Endor

Post by Endor »

Since Firefox 21 - Aurora it is never possible to scroll on https://addons.mozilla.org
and a couple of other sites. I have to deactivate this add-on end it works again.
I tried to add https://addons.mozilla.org to the blacklist, but there is no change.
Can someone help?
Mfg.
Endor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0
kau9791

Post by kau9791 »

Endor wrote:Since Firefox 21 - Aurora it is never possible to scroll on https://addons.mozilla.org
and a couple of other sites. I have to deactivate this add-on end it works again.
I tried to add https://addons.mozilla.org to the blacklist, but there is no change.
Can someone help?
Mfg.
Endor

I'm having the same issue. It appears that another extension developer (Vimperator) has had a similar issue (only left and right scrolling) and determined a fix.
https://code.google.com/p/vimperator-la ... ail?id=814
The main.js script in YASS has a function that appears to be similar to the one they patched called findNodeToScroll: function(orig,hint,log). I don't know enough to determine what needs to be modified.
Cheekeh Munkeh

Post by Cheekeh Munkeh »

It's still possible to scroll up/down with Aurora 21 on those pages where it fails, if the pointer is held over the area of the scroll bar.

Since it's such a glaring fault, I'm sure the developer will fix it sooner or later.
muzuiget

Post by muzuiget »

Hi, kataho, thanks for your greate extension.

I am also using Firegestures, and I enable the "Wheel Gestures", when I hold right-button then wheel up or down, I can switch to previous or next tab.

But there a problem, when switch back to original tab, the scroll-bar position was changed, it's annoying. After disable YASS, the problem won't happen.

I think the wheel up/down action also handle by YASS, then YASS scroll up/down the page change the scroll-bar position.

To solved this problem, tell YASS don't handle the wheel event when holding the right-buttong. So I hacked the YASS, just add a line.

Code: Select all

diff --git a/main.js b/main.js
index 38343e0..5d5f3b3 100644
--- a/main.js
+++ b/main.js
@@ -127,6 +127,7 @@ var yass = {
        {
                if(!this.m_pref.enabled) return;
                if(ev.altKey || ev.shiftKey || ev.ctrlKey) return;
+               if(ev.buttons === 2) return;

if(gInPrintPreviewMode == true) return;

It look work fine, but don't know any side effect.

Can you add this feature? skip scrolling when holding right-button.

It is better add an option in preferences dialog.
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Is there a way to get this amazing add-on working with Firefox 21 Beta 1?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

sorry, you have to wait like us others, this is not the only scroll extension to fail.
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

It has been updated and now working with Firefox 21 Beta 1.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

thank you

(smoothwheel is similar, but not same so no effort)
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

It probably has been asked already,but would it be possible to add an export/import settings option in the Option tab? That would make things a lot easier when installing YASS in a new profile.
Noooooo

Post by Noooooo »

Did anyone else notice scrolling with YASS became laggy (like a game/movie with low fps) in both FF24ESR and FF26? I've created a new profile and reinstalled Firefox 24&26 but it didn't help. Default scrolling is smooth, however, especially after I set layout.frame_rate=240 and layout.frame_rate.precise=true. I tried to launch FF26 with two different profiles at the same time - one with YASS, another with default scrolling (smooth scroll=on in settings) - and default scrolling was obviously smoother. Updating driver also didn't help.

The problem is definitely not with YASS settings as well because increasing smoothness only makes lag more evident. I've also tried to use SmoothWheel and found out it provides a very smooth scrolling. However, it is far less configurable.

I've heard that SmoothWheel uses some special technique to interpolate frames, and as far as I understand layout.frame_rate has something to do with frames as well. Maybe that's the reason why YASS scrolling is laggy - it simply doesn't use the same technique as SmoothWheel and default scroll? :)
GreenKER

Post by GreenKER »

Quote from AMO review:
https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/firefox/a ... scrolling/
This could be dangerous if you leave the bouncy edge feature on. Inserts all kind of code in your CMS editor window (Joomla for example). So be extremly careful and if you opt for using this, disable immediately the bouncy edge feature

Should I be worried about this?